Wall of text - beware -

Options

Replies

• trc77
    trc77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who are saying that you’re doing a fantastic job and kudos to you for everything you’re doing, both for your son and also for your daughter. I’m glad you’re taking time to workout for yourself and that you’re trying to eat right and just care for yourself physically…you ARE important! I also want to second the posters who encourage you to just do those things because you enjoy the workouts and KNOW that working out and eating right are good for you and they make you feel better. Try not to second guess yourself; you’re doing a GREAT job! Your weight loss, and other physical changes (or lack thereof) shouldn’t be a concern at this time in your life (I know, easier said than done). I wouldn't say that if you had given up and you were eating anything you want without working out. Knowing that you're doing the best that you can, I truly believe that those things will come in time and probably when you least expect it! God has a plan for you and you’ll find in hindsight that it was the perfect plan after all!
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I completely understand.!!!!!! Lots of post asking why you don't reduce stress and get sleep....but as a sahm of 2 special needs children I know that is not always possible. I have to go on 3 hrs sleep for weeks to keep my sons safe and healthy.My dr. is always telling me I need to destress. How I ask ...he never has any answers. lol good luck
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who are saying that you’re doing a fantastic job and kudos to you for everything you’re doing, both for your son and also for your daughter. I’m glad you’re taking time to workout for yourself and that you’re trying to eat right and just care for yourself physically…you ARE important! I also want to second the posters who encourage you to just do those things because you enjoy the workouts and KNOW that working out and eating right are good for you and they make you feel better. Try not to second guess yourself; you’re doing a GREAT job! Your weight loss, and other physical changes (or lack thereof) shouldn’t be a concern at this time in your life (I know, easier said than done). I wouldn't say that if you had given up and you were eating anything you want without working out. Knowing that you're doing the best that you can, I truly believe that those things will come in time and probably when you least expect it! God has a plan for you and you’ll find in hindsight that it was the perfect plan after all!

Thank you for that - I'm sure your view is totally unbiased :P but no matter what you are always an encouragement, an inspiration, a best friend and someone I adore - love you <3
    I completely understand.!!!!!! Lots of post asking why you don't reduce stress and get sleep....but as a sahm of 2 special needs children I know that is not always possible. I have to go on 3 hrs sleep for weeks to keep my sons safe and healthy.My dr. is always telling me I need to destress. How I ask ...he never has any answers. lol good luck
    [/quote
    Yeah I never get answers on how to do that either lol
    The lack of sleep is the hardest to me too.
    Wishing you the best of luck as well!!!!!
    and sending you a message :P
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has suggested some of the reading available on this board regarding weight loss and eating your exercise calories. Check out the posts listed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again and also here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Hope this might be of some help to you.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As a Mom of special needs kids I know that "reducing stress" just isn't going to happen.

I started yoga 4 months ago and while it has great physical advantages I feel that I just can't get through my week without the meditation portion of it. Maybe instead of working out your body you relaz your mind during that time. Learn meditation techniques and even if it is for 10 minutes it just might help. I know it won't hurt!

Hugs to you.
  • duhblond
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has suggested some of the reading available on this board regarding weight loss and eating your exercise calories. Check out the posts listed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again and also here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Hope this might be of some help to you.
    Thank you so much :)
    I have previously read those and they are very informative.
    :)

As a Mom of special needs kids I know that "reducing stress" just isn't going to happen.

I started yoga 4 months ago and while it has great physical advantages I feel that I just can't get through my week without the meditation portion of it. Maybe instead of working out your body you relaz your mind during that time. Learn meditation techniques and even if it is for 10 minutes it just might help. I know it won't hurt!

Hugs to you.

Thank you for responding.
    Yeah managing stress is a possibility , reducing it... not so much :P
    I regularly practice yoga and agree that the meditation is a great help.
    Thank you ((hugs)) and best of luck to you on your weight loss journey :)
  • duhblond
    Options
    Thank you for the mfpmails that I'm getting - I appreciate you all responding :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You said you exercise up to 2 hours/day, seven days a week. Unless this is something very beneficial to your mental health, I'd cut that back. You should have a rest day and with all your stress maybe limit workouts to one hour, six days a week. Unless you find it therapeutic.

Also, how confident are you with that 1500/day estimate? Is that based on long term, careful logging? Or eyeballing a few days here and there? Studies find people underestimate their daily intake by at least 30% most often. And they overestimate their activity by about the same amount, which makes it worse.
  • duhblond
    Options
    You said you exercise up to 2 hours/day, seven days a week. Unless this is something very beneficial to your mental health, I'd cut that back. You should have a rest day and with all your stress maybe limit workouts to one hour, six days a week. Unless you find it therapeutic.

Also, how confident are you with that 1500/day estimate? Is that based on long term, careful logging? Or eyeballing a few days here and there? Studies find people underestimate their daily intake by at least 30% most often. And they overestimate their activity by about the same amount, which makes it worse.

Hello :)
    My most standard workout is three days of weight lifting (Chalean extreme) 40min
    One day of core training 60min, two days of aerobic walking 70 min and one day of pilates or yoga 90min which is not physically stressful and more like a day of rest to me.
    I was doing 5/6 days of working out but I found myself more stressed and really sore after my rest day....

Yes I carefully track my calories, I measure and such and as I for the most part do all my own cooking I know what is going in my food - there are some things I do not track - like garlic powder or mustard but that's about it.
    I do have days where I know I over eat or make unwise choices for food - but I figure as this is a lifestyle I would rather have them.

Only big dietary change that happens for me is I tend to go a month or two without any soda and then will drink (too many :P ) for anywhere from a weekend to a week, um and about a month ago I decided to try and cut most dairy out of my diet and see if that helps...

Thank you so much for responding :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Is your scale right? Are you sleep-eating? Do you count the sodas and the days when you eat 'unwise'? I think some people don't log a binge here and there, as if it doesn't count.
  • duhblond
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Is your scale right? Are you sleep-eating? Do you count the sodas and the days when you eat 'unwise'? I think some people don't log a binge here and there, as if it doesn't count.

Yeah as I've checked myself on my parents scale - and also when I've gone to the doctor.
    Sleep eating? I've never heard of that before, I'm going to assume it is like sleep walking :)
    No I do not do that - either I do not sleep or when I finally crash, I'm out cold :P
    I count my binges - embarrassing as they are - you'll find them in my food diary.
    Thank you again for responding
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I just want to wish the OP good luck...you are one wonderful mama! :heart:
  • duhblond
    Options
    I just want to wish the OP good luck...you are one wonderful mama! :heart:

Thank you so much!!!!!
    <3
  • duhblond
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • ruthechesney
    ruthechesney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the others...it is most likely sleep deprivation. i know when I don't sleep enough, it kills my loss. However, have you considered getting your thyroid checked out? Having a thyroid that is out of whack can cause the inability to lose weight.

I am a Special Education teacher and used to do respite care for a young lady who is severely autistic. Is it possible to get your respite hours spread out to more than one day a week so you have a little break each day... and take a nap?

I also give my son Melatonin to sleep...to help him stay asleep. It works wonders.

Ultimately, when I am struggling with something, I pray about it and give it to God:) I will pray that you find a solution to your problem. Don't worry about the things you cannot change.
  • duhblond
    Options
    I would have to agree with the others...it is most likely sleep deprivation. i know when I don't sleep enough, it kills my loss. However, have you considered getting your thyroid checked out? Having a thyroid that is out of whack can cause the inability to lose weight.

I am a Special Education teacher and used to do respite care for a young lady who is severely autistic. Is it possible to get your respite hours spread out to more than one day a week so you have a little break each day... and take a nap?

I also give my son Melatonin to sleep...to help him stay asleep. It works wonders.

Ultimately, when I am struggling with something, I pray about it and give it to God:) I will pray that you find a solution to your problem. Don't worry about the things you cannot change.

Thank you so much for responding.

I have gotten my thyroid checked and they say my levels are great.

I get 30 hours a month so that is basically 7 hours a week - I found having two 3 1/2 hour days just did not give me time to do anything and it had to be split that way due to min hours worked rules - when I had 60 before all the cuts I was able to do two a week and that was great but that was a few years ago :)

Yeah I'm probably going to try and increase the melatonin dose...

Thank you so much - I'm not one to turn down prayers :D

Thank you again :)
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options

Hugs to you.

Ditto on the benefits of yoga and how old is your daughter?
  • duhblond
    Options

Ditto on the benefits of yoga and how old is your daughter?

Thank you for posting
    My son is 8 and my daughter is 7 :)
    And yes yoga is very helpful
    :)
  • duhblond
    Options
    b.u.m.p.
  • dirty_blonde
    dirty_blonde Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the replies here so if someone has already said what I am about to say I apologize.

I have taken a look at your diary. The past week looks like you have eaten a lot of processed foods. Although you are coming in under your goal calories the calories you are consuming are not the best.

Try dropping the items that are produced in a manufacturing plant and eating more plant based items. More natural foods. If somethings has ingredients in it that you can not pronounce don't eat it.

Just my suggestion