Is Quinoa worth it? And how do I make it tasty?!

Options
Hi All,

Happy Friday!
I'm having some tasty oven roast veggies tonight for dinner, but I have this bag of Quinoa in my cupboard that I purchased weeks ago with good intentions...and now it stares at me in a threatening kind of way from the back of the pantry!

It knows I haven't opened or enjoyed it's benefits yet!

After a very "fruity" week - my body is crying out for savoury and I wondered if Quinoa was A) worth it and B) how to make it tasty!?

Thanks lovely world of MFP! xx

Replies

• chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Quinoa, especially if I toss it in with some stir fried veggies and some soy sauce.
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    I really enjoy Quinoa, especially if I toss it in with some stir fried veggies and some soy sauce.

- How long does it take to cook? It sounds like a good idea and I have Soy Sauce... I hope it's worth it! :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    One of the things I love to do is make what I call "Quinoa Risotto". I saute some garlic and onions in a pan with 1tbsp of olive oil. Then I add the quinoa and toast that for a minute. Then I add chicken broth (2 parts broth to 1 part quinoa) and tomato sauce. I add whatever spices and veggies I want and let it simmer. In the last 3 minutes of cooking (when most of the liquid is gone and the quinoa is cooked), I add some cheese. It's fantastic and makes for a tasty lunch or next night dinner.... and the leftovers only get tastier!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like to make it in my rice cooker... takes about 20-25 minutes in there for a cup of it. I figure it takes about that much time done in a pot too.

I cook up the stir fry and at the last second throw in the Quinoa and toss it making sure to get all the juices to soak into it.

Another think I like to do with it, is substitute it for rice when I make stuffed peppers.
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    Wow that sounds delicious! x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've had a bag of quinoa in the cupboard for a year now. It's rank.
  • Riles713
    Riles713 Posts: 2
    Options
    Definitely worth it. Quinoa is so yummy and versatile. I make a quiona salad at the beginning of the week and it's a quick lunch or side dish- easy to pack for work. I cook the quinoa and mix with some chopped jicama, celery, olives, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cilantro-- or whatever you have in the pantry. I even add some canned beans (rinsed and drained) with some fresh tomato for a complete meal. Yum!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have been searching for quinoa recipes on here as well b/c I have the same issue...Bag that has not been opened since I bought it weeks ago....I am going to try it soon but here are a couple of links to help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529408-quinoa-what-is-your-favorite-recipe

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/549182-quinoa-omg

ETA: Extra link...
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Just substitute it in for whenever you would use rice.

Another to try is buckwheat pasta instead of wholemeal or whatever.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My first taste of Quinoa came from a friend who makes a delicious cold sald with it. Small grape tomatoes....cucumber....chopped green pepper and onion...black olives....feta cheese....and some kind of oil dressing that I never figured out!! It was sooooo good!!
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    These all sound great!
    I'm going to break into the packet this evening and get on it! It sounds great for salad but in the UK it's stew and casserole weather rather than tasty salads!

The risotto sounds awesome, I never usually eat rice as I decided to kick carbs to the curb...however It would be good with chicken stock and some veggies!

I'm hungry thinking about it!

Is it now the wrong time to ask how to make cous cous not taste like sand?... when i'm out its incredible...at home it's bland!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Happy Friday!
    I'm having some tasty oven roast veggies tonight for dinner, but I have this bag of Quinoa in my cupboard that I purchased weeks ago with good intentions...and now it stares at me in a threatening kind of way from the back of the pantry!

It knows I haven't opened or enjoyed it's benefits yet!

After a very "fruity" week - my body is crying out for savoury and I wondered if Quinoa was A) worth it and B) how to make it tasty!?

Thanks lovely world of MFP! xx

Hi! Have you ever been on the site pinterest.com? There are tons of amazing quinoa recipes in there from salads to burgers. It's free to sign up and then just use the search button and type in quinoa. :)
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    I could eat quinoa for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

For breakfast, I sometimes eat it like oatmeal - warm, with a handful of berries, some milk and perhaps a drizzle of maple syrup
    For lunch, I often make a quinoa salad for the week. It's fairly random what goes in. This week's was black beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions with a lime, chili, dressing (small amount of olive oil).
    For dinner, I often eat it plain as a side dish instead of rice or couscous.

Normally, to cook it, I follow the directions on the package. I find that each brand is a bit different in the way that they suggest it be prepared.

Last week, however, I came across a different method of cooking it and I am forever converted. It is requires a TINY bit more effort, but it was sooooooooooooooooooooo worth it. It came out really light and fluffy.

I put about 3 cups water in a pot, brought it to a boil and added 1 cup quinoa. Boiled it for 10 minutes. Strained the quinoa in a sieve. Put about 1" water back in the original pot and put the strainer across the top of the pot. I covered the quinoa in the strainer with a clean tea towel (folded up) and then covered it with a lid (apparently doesn't have to fit well). I then steamed the quinoa for another 10 minutes. Let it stand, covered for 5 min. It seems like a big production, but it doesn't take a minute longer - all you're doing is straining midway though. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Will do this from now one.
  • JanetJonesStinson
    Options
    You definately want to try out Pinterest.com. It's an amazing bulletin board for ideas, recipes, etc.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump

I may actually buy some quinoa next time and give one of these ideas a try.
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    Pininterest sounds interesting...roll on 5:30pm!

How much is a "cup" in the UK? xx
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I made some cheesy quinoa bites once and I didn't really like them. Too much carrot flavor and not enough cheese. However, I did eat some of the quinoa by itself, plain, before I tossed all the other ingredients in and it was really good.

Like others, I'd suggest using it anywhere you'd use rice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pininterest sounds interesting...roll on 5:30pm!

How much is a "cup" in the UK? xx

For oats the conversion is 1 cup = 85 grams, so I think that would be about the same for quinoa.
  • edbales
    edbales Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to make a cold salad with quinoa. I rinse the quinoa and then cook it in the rice cooker. While it is cooking I chop veggies --red pepper, corn kernels, minced onion, etc. I rinse and drain a can of black beans. When the quinoa is done I mix it with the veggies and then add a cilantro/lime vinagrette (lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro). You can eat it warm, but it is good after it has been stored in the fridge as well.