Is Quinoa worth it? And how do I make it tasty?!

Options

Replies

• divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love it.
    I usually cook mine in chicken broth or will do a cup of broth and cup of water type thing. Or water with a splash of teriyaki in it if I am going to have it with a teriyaki stirfry.

I store mine in the fridge and have never had an issue with it turning.

Normally I soak it for 10-15mins, rince and then add double the water or broth to the amount of quinoa bring to boil and then turn down and simmer for 15 mins or even turn off . Leave covered.

This site has how to cook it
    http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

The pilf recipe is AMAZING. Its a massive amount so I altered it so that I do 1-2 cups of quinoa and then all the veggies.

This recipe is AWESOME as well
    http://therealbliss.com/2011/07/22/quinoa-and-spinach-stuffed-chicken-breasts/

I have done just the spinach quinoa on its one and its delicious.
    Also in a hurry I will forgo the stuffing of the chicken and just toss the chicken with cheese in the oven and make the quinoa and it still taste great. By the time the chicken is done cooking the qunoa is ready.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What are the health benefits of Quinoa?
  • javagirl61
    Options
    I saute onions, garlic, and almond slivers in olive oil or coconut oil. Add the Quinoa to toast up a bit too. If I'm making one cup of Quinoa then I use two cups liquid...made up of organic chicken stock, white wine and water. I'll then drop in a large bay leaf. I bring it up to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes. When it's simmering I add a handful of raisens. Very tasty. Goes well with everything. Really good the next day in a salad too. Enjoy!
  • javagirl61
    Options
    Health Benefits from Care2 website (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-health-benefits-of-quinoa.html)

8 Health Benefits of Quinoa:

1. High quality protein with the nine essential amino acids, the protein balance is similar to milk. At 16.2 to 20 percent protein, it has is more protein than rice (7.5 percent), millet (9.9 percent) or wheat (14 percent).

2. Great source of riboflavin. Riboflavin has been shown to help reduce the frequency of attacks in migraine sufferers by improving the energy metabolism within the brain and muscle cells.

3. Inca warriors had more stamina and quicker recovery time by eating these quinoa seeds, making it a truly ancient powerfood.

4. Antiseptic. The saponins from quinoa are used to promote healing of skin injuries in South America.

5. Not fattening! Only 172 calories per 1/4 cup dry (24 of the calories from protein and only 12 from sugars, the rest are complex carbohydrates, fiber and healthy fats).

6. Gluten-free. Since it is not not related to wheat, or even a grain, it is gluten-free.

7. Alkaline-forming. Although it is not strongly alkaline-forming, it is comparable to wild rice, amaranth, and sprouted grains.

8. Smart Carb: It is a complex carbohydrate with a low glycemic index, so it won’t spike your blood sugar.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-health-benefits-of-quinoa.html#ixzz1yWkcsVDO
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    One of the things I love to do is make what I call "Quinoa Risotto". I saute some garlic and onions in a pan with 1tbsp of olive oil. Then I add the quinoa and toast that for a minute. Then I add chicken broth (2 parts broth to 1 part quinoa) and tomato sauce. I add whatever spices and veggies I want and let it simmer. In the last 3 minutes of cooking (when most of the liquid is gone and the quinoa is cooked), I add some cheese. It's fantastic and makes for a tasty lunch or next night dinner.... and the leftovers only get tastier!

this sounds amazing:-)
  • kajin1
    kajin1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I love quinoa. I cook it just like rice, but for a little longer. You can change the flavor depending on what you add to it. For something savory, try using boullion instead of water to cook it. It will take on the flavor of the boullion. For something sweet, cook it in water and then add some sweetner and raisins or nuts. Things like that. I treat it just like I would treat rice. Go an experiment and enjoy....:smile:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Pininterest sounds interesting...roll on 5:30pm!

How much is a "cup" in the UK? xx

A 'cup' is an excuse to overeat from what I can see
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My wife and I made this last week, added about a pound raw-weight of grilled chicken then divided it up. It was a good dinner (and a couple lunches :happy:)

http://www.managercomplete.com/engine2/recipe.aspx?category=Dinner&id=44

(The website says the serving size is for one person, I don't think that's right. We divided it 4 ways with the chicken. If you can't get dried red beans, make sure you rinse the beans thoroughly or use something like Bush's reduced sodium variety. For how I built the recipe in the MFP recipe tool, it totaled 394 calories per serving, only 534 mg of sodium. Not bad...)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to wash it before cooking it.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it; we love it!

One of our favorite ways to eat it: Quinoa Pilaf With Shredded Chicken -- easy and YUM! (Find it on allrecipes.com -- we usually have it without the chicken, but it's great either way.)
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This is pretty fabulous:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Scented-Quinoa-240587

If you're using a brand of quinoa that is presoaked (Bob's Red Mill, for example), you can skip the first step. I upped the lemon zest (pretty much a whole lemon), used at most a tablespoon of olive oil, and skipped the added salt at the end (you *really* don't need it--it's plenty salty from cooking, and I say this as a salt addict).

The recipe says it serves four, but I get six good servings out of it.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My first taste of Quinoa came from a friend who makes a delicious cold sald with it. Small grape tomatoes....cucumber....chopped green pepper and onion...black olives....feta cheese....and some kind of oil dressing that I never figured out!! It was sooooo good!!

I make something similar. Did it have parsley in it? If so, that is Quinoa Tabouli. The oil is olive oil with a little bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper. I use 1/2Tbsp. for each serving of quinoa. (1/4 dry = 1 serving)

You can put quite a variety of raw veggies in this salad.

Hint: wash your quinoa before you cook it.
  • NittanyLion95
    Options
    I have a recipe that I've been wanting to try...as soon as I do, I will report and post the recipe if it's good.
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    I think I'm a little dumb... what does bump mean?
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lime Cilantro Mango Quinoa

2 cups of cooked quinoa (to cook add 1 c quinoa to 1 1/3 c water. Bring to boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 12 min. Remove from heat and let stand 5 min. Then fluff with fork!)

1 mango diced
    2 medium size tomatoes diced
    4 scallions diced (green and white parts)
    1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    1 avocado diced
    1 tb olive oil
    3 Tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine olive oil, lime juice, veggies, and herbs except the avocado and stir to combine, fold in fluffed quinoa, then gently fold in avocado. Light and summery! Delicious.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving:
    145 calories
    15 carb
    3 fiber
    2 protein
    7 fat

I made this last night for dinner and have some here with me at work for lunch today. Totally YUM! :-)
  • sarahh87
    sarahh87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just bought some quinoa myself .. definitely some great sounding recipes I will have to try! Thank you :D
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    /
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is awesome! If you had a Trader Joe's in the area, they have a frozen quinoa melange with some root vegetable that is totally yummy!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is awesome- I have a great recipe for it as well. If you would like it- shoot me a PM. :)