Annoyed by People Commenting??

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jscanland
    Jscanland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sister! eat it up and strut YOUR STUFF!!!!!!!!!!! I used to think the same thing. and it's self depricating...say THANKS! and tell them to keep watchin' you!
    Sounds sillly, but those are cheerleaders! or...they wish they had what you have!
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just learn to take a compliment gracefully. A simple thank you will suffice.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I suppose maybe I have trouble taking compliments....? Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. And again i want to stress that I am not COMPLAINING about losing weight.....it was something I decided to do and was successful at. I think when you have self esteem issues for most of your life it's hard to break the habit and look at yourself in a positive way.

I am not going to lie although I've lost weight already, everyday I look in the mirror and think "If I could just lose a bit more...." and then what??? Lose more? I think the feeling of being inadequete is really hard to get away from for some people. Like no matter what it's not good enough. I know I look better and more importantly I feel better about myself. This just started as something silly because I got a comment from a co-worker this morning for what seems like the 20th time....I didn't think it would spark so much controversy!!

I am happy I have lost the weight. I am glad people notice. I wouldn't change it or go back.
  • NVgal
    NVgal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thought that was what Success Stories was for! I come here for inspiration and to know what works for people. The nice thing about MFP is that you don't have to click on this topic if it bothers you.

Oops, I think I took the OP's post wrong. I have not posted any before and after pics and if I get to a point where I feel ready I think I wold be okay with the positive comments. I would think it would be motivating to continue the weightloss journey or to help me maintain if that's where I'm at. I KNOW my before pics are bad! LOL!
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Seeing all the comments confirms for me my take on this. Some people LOVE the attention, and some people SHY from it. Nothing wrong with either, but a lesson to the person giving the compliment (or as the OP stated... CONTINUOUSLY COMMENTING) not everyone feels and responds to compliments and continuous comments the same way.

Understand that not everything you intend as a compliment is perceived as a compliment. And when it's continuous and never-ending can be very annoying (IMO). eg, "Wow, you've lost a TON of weight !" can be perceived as embarrassing (even though it may be true).'

It's a very good lesson to learn in communication and relationships... PAY ATTENTION to the person's perception. What you think is a compliment isn't always perceived that way.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it so much.. it motivates me to keep going. Except, I have one coworker who comments on it EVERY TIME I see him. And I see him probably three or four times a week. Tells me how great I'm doing, how proud he is of me. It was sweet the first time, now it's getting a bit overbearing and creepy.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Yes you did look horrible, just kidding.

My wife is very thin(size 0) and changed her routine and lost a couple of pounds.
    She walked into her nail salon and one lady yelled "wow, you lost a ton"

My wife is upset because she obviously didn't have "a ton" to lose.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I guess Im different. I enjoy it, more so the shocked look on thier face when they havent seen me in a while and they dont know that I have made the life changes I have made.. I think its funny and my new leaner body feels wonderful and it will only get better.. So they can comment all they want.. lol
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not far enough along my weight loss journey to really relate, but if I don't look "so much better" after getting to my goal, I'll be pretty disappointed LOL.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. I've lost over 40 lbs and only very few people have said anything. THAT is a bit depressing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!