Does the anonymity of social networks allow rudeness

Options
i just read a few topics on the message board, and i see that people are very blunt with their comments, one girl was clearly upset by comments and wanted people to stop commenting, and people were acting rude, border line harrasment. now many say if she didnt want comments she shouldnt have posted, but is a post an invitation to harrasment, and is her comment "stop commenting" not a closure to that invitation. And is she to be held accountable for everyones word vomit.
i can bet if it was face to face communication most of the same people would not have made the comments they did, the word coward comes to mind. i would equate it to road rage, the polite, upstanding looking guy yelling out xyz, is only doing it because he can drive away in a flash, not face consequences and he will forever remain anonymous.

Replies

• brittanymarie120
    Options
    Very good point.... I think that if it isn't something you would say to their face, it probably isn't something you should say online.

That being said, sometimes 'meaning' gets lost when people communicate via text messages/email/posts... Sometimes understanding the intent in which something is said (written) can be difficult. Sarcasm is the worst, especially since most people on here are not close friends.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am the same in real life as I am on the internet. Nice for the most part, but I have no patience for stupidity and if someone is being a b*tch, I will be a bigger b*tch.

That being said, if someone called me a name on the internet I would forget it within a minute, but in real life it might actually hurt my feelings.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree that the tone of something written doesn't always translate well. You can be critical but put things over with respect.
    It can put me off posting a query in case people go 'duh, stupid'
    The thing is, there are loads of nice helpful people on these forums. Ignore the not so helpful ones as their comments tell you more about them than you.
    X
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I am the same in real life as I am on the internet. Nice for the most part, but I have no patience for stupidity and if someone is being a b*tch, I will be a bigger b*tch.

That being said, if someone called me a name on the internet I would forget it within a minute, but in real life it might actually hurt my feelings.

this.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think it does allow rudeness.

I also think that tone is hard to get across, so even when people aren't trying to be rude, they can come across as it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I am this way as well...
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Rule 71.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, and sadly that's been true on the Internet since before the Internet. The term "troll" was in common usage back in the BBS days when you had to listen to modem mating calls before you could go and read the rude messages left by strangers for your perusal.

Rude people are rude people, but they're more likely to feel they can get away with it when you can't track them down and give them the poke in the snoot they deserve (grin).
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Allow...No it encourages it. Most people dont have the balls to even talk to people or confront them let alone say the things they say on Social networks. Most of them dont even have the stones to look the other person in the eyes and give them the evil eye.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do you know what else is cowardly? Creating new accounts for the purpose of using said internet anonymity so that you can call others out.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb to follow is to behave online as you would in real life....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm sluttier on the interwebs than I am in real life.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Yes, it does. Should it, no!

I will react with a little sarcasm after someone takes a crack at me, but I don't take it personally since I more than likely don't know that person, will never meet that person and don't care about that person (for the most part).

So...I tend to just read it and forget it.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I am here who I am in real life. Blunt, *****y, funny, welcoming, sarcastic, helpful and the like. It's quite simple, I don't claim to be something I'm not.

Also, if you post a topic you should be prepared for comments you're not looking for.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm generally an *kitten* in person and on the internet. :drinker:
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    i just read a few topics on the message board, and i see that people are very blunt with their comments, one girl was clearly upset by comments and wanted people to stop commenting, and people were acting rude, border line harrasment. now many say if she didnt want comments she shouldnt have posted, but is a post an invitation to harrasment, and is her comment "stop commenting" not a closure to that invitation. And is she to be held accountable for everyones word vomit.
    i can bet if it was face to face communication most of the same people would not have made the comments they did, the word coward comes to mind. i would equate it to road rage, the polite, upstanding looking guy yelling out xyz, is only doing it because he can drive away in a flash, not face consequences and he will forever remain anonymous.

anything ive ever said here i would say to someones face without a moments hesitation
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I am sluttier in real life than I am on the interwebs.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    how many fake accounts can one person make before they get tired of the game? :yawn:
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm a troll.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The short answer is: yes.