Does the anonymity of social networks allow rudeness

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    how many fake accounts can one person make before they get tired of the game? :yawn:

Someone with a lot of time on their hands and looking for entertainment? Quite a few, unfortunately.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly learning I should be polite on the internet... interacting as if I were face to face with a person.. I'm not good at it yet, but getting better. but i still tend to be radically sarcastic
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I am a little more forward on the net then in person. Not much though. I wouldn't go up to a random person in a conversation and start *****ing at them. But if you have to be someone your not your just...lame. K. Thanx. Bye!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    how many fake accounts can one person make before they get tired of the game? :yawn:

Someone with a lot of time on their hands and looking for entertainment? Quite a few, unfortunately.
    Really... thats sad. I have said some downright rude things before.. I don't have anything to hide though. *shrug* I don't censor myself because of what others are going to think or say... they will do it regardless.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Everything I said to her over the net I would say face to face and probably even give her a cheeseburger!
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm a troll.

esnstwqwuqnphqhknbmfo.jpg
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly learning I should be polite on the internet... interacting as if I were face to face with a person.. I'm not good at it yet, but getting better. but i still tend to be radically sarcastic

The problem with sarcasm in text is that it doesn't tend to translate perfectly. Without the inflection in your voice (which you hear in your own head when you think it, but they can't hear in the words when they read them) or facial expression cues, it's very hard for the person on the other end to detect sarcasm. You have to make it painfully obvious, and even then it sometimes falls flat.

Going back and re-reading your own text helps a bit, but you'll inevitably read it in the tone of voice you intended, and that may not be the same tone that is eventually read.

In a large community, sarcasm is best avoided or surrounded by lots of annoying little emoticons so people get distracted by the moving things and miss reading the words entirely. That way, you get the satisfaction of a particularly clever bit of sarcasm but since no one ever reads it, no one is offended by it. It's a win-win. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The more emoticons, the better. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    In a large community, sarcasm is best avoided or surrounded by lots of annoying little emoticons so people get distracted by the moving things and miss reading the words entirely. That way, you get the satisfaction of a particularly clever bit of sarcasm but since no one ever reads it, no one is offended by it. It's a win-win. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The more emoticons, the better. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's a great idea.
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you post something you have to be prepared for comments. You can't dictate what others can or cannot say. If you don't like it, then you can simply do a google, read a lot and come to your own conclusions.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options

I'm going to take a guess: 5?

Did I guess correctly? What did I win?
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Everything I say online is stuff I would say in person. I try never to be rude or demeaning, however, I can at times be sarcastic if someone is arguing with me and it becomes absurd. I like to use knowledge and facts as ammunition. Logic is my homeboy. I am only mean to people who are mean to me. I only get b*tchy if someone is being a jerk to me. Plain and simple. You be nice to me, I will be nice to you.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    i just read a few topics on the message board, and i see that people are very blunt with their comments, one girl was clearly upset by comments and wanted people to stop commenting, and people were acting rude, border line harrasment. now many say if she didnt want comments she shouldnt have posted, but is a post an invitation to harrasment, and is her comment "stop commenting" not a closure to that invitation. And is she to be held accountable for everyones word vomit.
    i can bet if it was face to face communication most of the same people would not have made the comments they did, the word coward comes to mind. i would equate it to road rage, the polite, upstanding looking guy yelling out xyz, is only doing it because he can drive away in a flash, not face consequences and he will forever remain anonymous.

Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every MFP members God-given right. (yay Ghostbusters quote) Especially when they deserve it! like most people do! its called a reality check.. no storybook....candy coated...lets use lube ... easy does it time when someone is being dumb! Do your research and maybe you wont have to sound stupid and be told about it!:wink:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'll just answer the thread's question: yes. i don't abide by rudeness, but i can tell you that a lot of people "hide behind their keyboards" and fire away the insults or snarky remarks that many of them wouldn't try in person. that's not to say that there aren't people who would be the same way in person or that everyone is like this. au contraire, lots of nice people exist on the internet who are as nice or nicer in person. but i definitely believe that the anonymity factor allows people to behave differently.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    i'll just answer the thread's question: yes. i don't abide by rudeness, but i can tell you that a lot of people "hide behind their keyboards" and fire away the insults or snarky remarks that many of them wouldn't try in person. that's not to say that there aren't people who would be the same way in person or that everyone is like this. au contraire, lots of nice people exist on the internet who are as nice or nicer in person. but i definitely believe that the anonymity factor allows people to behave differently.

I dont act differently anywhere. Hiding behind a computer or face to face.. I will say whatever i feel like.. whenever i feel like! If you dont your just a fake!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do you know what else is cowardly? Creating new accounts for the purpose of using said internet anonymity so that you can call others out.

WORD!
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    I am the same in real life as I am on the internet. Nice for the most part, but I have no patience for stupidity and if someone is being a b*tch, I will be a bigger b*tch.

That being said, if someone called me a name on the internet I would forget it within a minute, but in real life it might actually hurt my feelings.

this.

The OP does have a point. In real life I would never walk up to you and say I sure wish I was that camel. But on here, :wink:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm sluttier on the interwebs than I am in real life.

Everyone is
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    i just read a few topics on the message board, and i see that people are very blunt with their comments, one girl was clearly upset by comments and wanted people to stop commenting, and people were acting rude, border line harrasment. now many say if she didnt want comments she shouldnt have posted, but is a post an invitation to harrasment, and is her comment "stop commenting" not a closure to that invitation. And is she to be held accountable for everyones word vomit.
    i can bet if it was face to face communication most of the same people would not have made the comments they did, the word coward comes to mind. i would equate it to road rage, the polite, upstanding looking guy yelling out xyz, is only doing it because he can drive away in a flash, not face consequences and he will forever remain anonymous.

I am me here, there, and every where. If I were hiding behind a computer screen I'd put someone else's mug up as my avatar or nothing at all and leave it as the mfp default blue man.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Personally, it's not that the internet allows it, it's that I'm talking to strangers that I have no emotional connection to. I'm not going to cherry pick my words a carefully when I'm talking to a total stranger who has irked me as I am when my friends are aggravating me. There's no consequence to me. I think I'm more inclined to just say what I'm thinking, not necessarily rudely, but definitely more short and to the point.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Through the safety and anonymity of a keyboard, I have met some tough, rough and tumble people.
    Such puny ones are to be pitied. I look at people who act out as pathetic losers who are crying for help.
    Think of it this way.
    We can ignore a troll. They can't ignore themselves, and they have to live with their misery day after anguished day.
    And the worse thing you can do is NOT RESPOND!
    To ignore a troll is absolutely the most damaging thing you can do, because they crave reaction.
    It's the ONLY time they get in life to feel important.