Hit a plateau after losing 4 lbs!!

Options
I started MFP a little over a week ago. My starting weight was 232 (down from my highest at 235). I started losing weight right away and got down to 228, kept on with eating the same foods that made me lose the last 4lbs and then it just stopped. And actually I gained 1 lb back.

I've been under 1600 calories/day, and changed exercise 4 day/week from 30 minutes of treadmill to 30 minutes on the elliptical. And still nothing. Finally this morning I'm back down to 228, after 4 days at 229. So hopefully, I'm getting the scale moving back down again.

Just a background, I'm 47, have lost weight in the past and gained it right back + a few, usually after hitting a plateau and giving up. I've been told that losing weight after you hit 40 is difficult, and I'm starting to see that it is.

What can I do to get the scale moving when I hit a plateau? 4 days to not see the scale move is not a very motivating sight!!

Replies

• cburnett2698
    Options
    I think sometimes eating the "same" foods everyday is not a good thing. Your body will get used to it and it too will get bored and I think that is where you will hit a plateau. . .Try more food variety. . .I myself like to look online for different recipes. You might also be building muscle. . .Have you tried taking your measurements, because some people lose inches, which is always a good thing as well. . .
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what you are experiencing a plateau, since you just started this a week ago. The majority of that first 4 pounds you lost was probably bloat/water weight from the increased activity, and now this is when the true weight loss will be begin. Keep up the workouts, keep eating clean, and the scale will continue to move, although probably at a slower pace than 4 pounds/week.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing yourself every day be prepared to see your weight go up, down, and shake it all around on a day-to-day basis.
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi Maureen -

I have experienced the same thing! I have only been really really trying for 2.5 weeks starting at 306 and I can't get below 301 (as of this morning). I have been attempting to stay between 1200-1500 cal and exercising quite a bit. But, I can tell that my tummy is getting flatter and believe it or not, my clothes aren't "as" tight...lol We gotta keep going! At least you havn't gained 4 lbs!!
  • maureenpr
    maureenpr Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. I do feel that some of my jeans are feeling a little looser and don't constrict as much when I sit at the computer all day.
    *Keeping my fingers crossed* :-)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    You know I have one really really good week and the next week is usually not even close to being good. So give it a bit longer. Don't give up,
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since it was just a week ago, I don't think you're at a plateau. Weight can come off faster at the beginning, and fluctuates daily. I like to weigh myself every Saturday morning, and use that as my gauge as to whether or not I've lost weight that week. Everyday is hard. It could change on when you ate dinner, when you went to bed, etc.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    um a true plateau is 3 weeks or more without a weight loss. I had one for 2 months. now I'm battling again with losing weight but this week it is because of my diet all week has been awful. watch your sodium levels and your sugar levels it should help you. make sure you're exercising.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    plateaus will happen...your body isnt a ping pong ball...it takes time to adjust to changes...

however...I dont consider a stall in weight loss a plateau until it hits 2 weeks at a minimum when I am trying to lose some weight,

you are not at a plateau already.
  • KelliMourer87
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other "replies" so I am sorry if this is a repeat. BUT when I hit my point of not losing weight I asked some of my friends who have been on here for a while and they suggested a spike down once a week or every other week even. Just wakes up your body and it goes "whoa what, extra calories I must start working again." And I found this to work great!!! Just make sure you have your self-discipline going good or you're going to want to have a spike day every day. I actually had a spike week and it worked great. Good luck!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. Patience is the hardest part! I would suggest weighing in only once a week so you don't drive yourself nuts seeing the number jump back and forth day to day. As you do this you will being to learn how your body works. I now know that if I lose one week the next week I probably won't lose anything (which drove me crazy before I started using MFP because I would get mad and give up) but then that third week I will lose again. Good luck!
  • Kcarroll01
    Kcarroll01 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey there ....I can certainly relate. I have decided to take measurements versus going by weight alone (especially if exercising). Muscle weighs more than fat, so that may be why you are not seeing a difference on the scale. Also, are you drinking water?
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a plateau...don't stress so much about weighing yourself every day. Maybe try weighing in once a week (preferably on the same day each week). That will give you a more accurate reading of where you really are. You're doing great- don't get discouraged. :smile:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    This isn't a plateau. Weight loss slows down to a more natural rate after the initial water weight comes off. Stick with it, stay positive, and stay focused.
  • Steen_bean
    Steen_bean Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Iv seen stuck around 140-146lbs since september last year. Having taking progress photos I can see iv lost weight around my stomach area, but I just reallly want to break past 140.

Iv increased my intake to 1600 and mixed up my exercise routine. I am super keen to hear any tips?
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you've been at this for jsut about a week, you need to give your body time to adjust. Lots of changes happening that it just isn't used to.

Are you exercising? Drinking lots of water? Avoiding prepared foods, caffeine, soda/pop, alcohol? All of these will affect weight loss.

I've been serious since mid-April. I've lost 17 pounds, and since I weigh myself every day, I've been able to see when certain times of the month are affecting my weight. (I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, so I don't know when 'that time' is upon me)...

In any case, don't expect miracles in a week. Or a month...just know that what you are doing is good for your body, your overall health, and for your well-being. Stick to it, no matter what. Yeah, it's gonna be hard at times, but oveall you're going to be better for it!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Iv seen stuck around 140-146lbs since september last year.

I wouldnt think a stall that lasts nine months a plateau. I would think that is lack of a caloric deficit or a medical condition.
  • MissSonjaBelle
    MissSonjaBelle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To quote just about every other answer, it's not a plateau. The first month of dieting and exercising i didn't lose anything! Now i'm finding i'm losing about 1kg a week.

Here are some tips: if you eat the same amount of calories as a 150lb person, you will become a 150lb person.
    Up up up the protein, cut out all sugar (including the sugar IN food, check labels, less than 10g per 100g) and don't eat 3 hours before bed.
    AND exercise wise, make yourself sweat. This has helped me lose 6kg in 6 weeks

Good luck
    xoxoxox
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    and don't eat 3 hours before bed.

she has been here a week. dont start filling her head with total nonsense already. it doesnt matter if you eat while you are sleeping as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hi Maureen -

I have experienced the same thing! I have only been really really trying for 2.5 weeks starting at 306 and I can't get below 301 (as of this morning). I have been attempting to stay between 1200-1500 cal and exercising quite a bit. But, I can tell that my tummy is getting flatter and believe it or not, my clothes aren't "as" tight...lol We gotta keep going! At least you havn't gained 4 lbs!!

I started almost 5 months ago at the same weight and am just now noticing a difference in the clothes I wear. Then again, I'm eating about 1800 calories a day. My weight loss will be slower, but I'm satisfied.