Bodymedia Fit or Fitbit?

Options
13»

Replies

• pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have BMF. I like it. I have lost some weight so I can put it around my thigh. I know I get a more accurate reading on steps that way. So calf might be good too. I too did not want it to show.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Love my bodymedia! I don't even feel it on my arm. The only time I really felt it was when I first got it and I kept opening the band to put on and take off. The directions say get the band right and then slip it on and off, I think that's good advice. I don't care that others can see it, sometimes they don't, depends on how long my sleeves are and where I position it. The feedback chart with calories burned, steps, sleep, and activity are really neat to look at and informative too.
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options
    Everybody is saying which one they like , or in most instances which one they have . I want to know the differences on both, which one is truly better and why ?

I chose the BodyMedia over the Fitbit because Amazon had it on sale for $107 and I don't mind wearing the arm band. I also felt like it had more detail to the items it tracked such as nutrition and it's able to do reports that I don't think Fitbit can. Biggest thing was the price of it....had it been $100 more, I don't think I would have gotten it. When it all boils down to it, it's a matter of preference. Google it and you'll get some people that tried out both.

As for the strap, I bought a black one since the gunmetal grey was a little too obvious for me and I am not embarrassed to wear it. Like I said before, I was more embarrassed by my fat butt than a black strap around my arm.
  • BigRob3
    BigRob3 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just read up on both and it seems to be that The Body Media , is a superior product , so I must just save up for one, Im sure the fitbit can get the job done, It just seems to not be fully loaded like the Body Media, and since you can have it in your pocket or clip, how accurate can it really be ? Just my opinion .
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I just read up on both and it seems to be that The Body Media , is a superior product , so I must just save up for one, Im sure the fitbit can get the job done, It just seems to not be fully loaded like the Body Media, and since you can have it in your pocket or clip, how accurate can it really be ? Just my opinion .

There are plenty of them available new on eBay for much less $.
  • BigRob3
    BigRob3 Posts: 4
    Options

There are plenty of them available new on eBay for much less $.

Thanks I will look on ebay or amazon , thanx
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    All either of them really do is take the data from an internal accelerometer (like a Wii remote) and from that guess what activity you're doing and multiply your per minute BMR by a METS factor for that activity to estimate your calorie expenditure. The BMF skin sensors don't seem to do anything. It can't detect weights workouts or cycling.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Having experienced both, I have to go with the BMF.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

The other thing I can tell you is- it does NOT register exertion if you are horizonal, and it usually does not pick up my exercise bike exertions either. No kidding. I was on my pilates reformer yesterday sweating and puffing and it read- nothing. Ditto for the exercise bike. It does get the treadmill and all other activity that is upright. This also throws off your stats if you do any matwork and such. There is NO WAY to edit the information downloaded to add for exercise the monitor missed or the excess from driving with both hands.

I read that if you put it on your ankle or calf (so it's not tight to cut off circulation) it will register on the bike. And if you take it off your body for more than a 1/2 hour while doing your exercises, you can edit off body. It's under calories burned when you drop it down.

Tried using it on my ankle last night- it worked like a charm. (Oh DUH- why didn't I think of that!) Thanks!!
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options

Tried using it on my ankle last night- it worked like a charm. (Oh DUH- why didn't I think of that!) Thanks!!

Fabulous!!! Glad it worked!
  • Hollyaw24
    Hollyaw24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit and used it for awhile. I was very motivated at first, but then the case broke. I upgraded to the ultra. It kept popping off my jeans/pants or bra. I kept finding it on the sofa or chair where I was sitting. I was really disappointed in that. I lost it. I have no idea where. I have heard they will replace it, but I am not getting another one. I think it is a good product. I am just confused as to why my second one kept popping off everything.
    I ordered a BMF core yesterday from drugstore dot com and it was "only' $99 with free shipping. Yippee! I was concerned about the visibility of it. I am glad to hear that women hide them in their bras for fairly good results. I usually wear sleeves, but hopefully I'll have awesome arms by summer:)
    I think either of these will do the job if you use them. I just wanted to try something different, and they both sync with MFP!
  • StarGem6
    StarGem6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Which type of Bodymedia do you recommend? They come in various price ranges, but I'm not sure of the differences.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and LOVE IT!!!! Great customer service too. Bought one for my sister and she LOVES it! Know nothing about the Bodymedia. Would highly recommend the Fitbit.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Which type of Bodymedia do you recommend? They come in various price ranges, but I'm not sure of the differences.

I have the Link and I love it. I just got it for Christmas and my parents are both thinking about getting them now. I have to be able to see my progress throughout the day, as I use it to push myself to be more active. With the Link I can just sync it with my phone (using Bluetooth). With the other ones you can buy a wristband that shows your info, but I didn't want another thing to buy and wear. I have my phone with me all the time anyway. If you don't have a smartphone, there is no advantage to the Link as far as I know. If you do, I think it worth the extra money. Customer service seems to be great at answering questions if you're thinking about buying.
    The BodyMedia in general is just great. I love that it tracks my sleep, steps, calories and various levels of activity. I still enter my food through MFP, but they sync together perfectly.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I have the Ki Fit (I believe it's the UK equivalent of the Bodymedia FIT Advantage) and the Display - bought off ebay.

If you go here, select the first 3, then click compare it'll give you a comparison table: http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Compare

I think the differences are price, compatible with the display, compatible with bluetooth, workout log, and size.

Re-synching (whether using bluetooth or the display) is one of those things you get used to being annoyed with. If a Link had been available on ebay in the UK from someone, I'm not sure what I would have gone with. The display works with regular gloves and in thick fog (downsides of my 4S), uses a CR2032 battery, and is small enough I don't notice it in my pocket.

I looked at the Fitbit, but I decided on the Ki because it seemed more like what I was after.

This is an example of the Summary Report (I assume Bodymedia's is similar) that covers last Saturday-Friday (date ranges can be specified) and I download one every week to check averages (and to see if anything sticks out on a certain day that needs looking at). http://pi.thejc.me.uk/weight-loss/week-008/Summary_Report_2012_12_31.pdf

ETA: I sometimes have to turn mobile data/3G off on my phone when I'm out because of battery life. Not sure I'd be OK with something draining my battery (although probably not anywhere as quickly as GPS and ANT+ do).