Replies

• CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    chicken broth can be high in sodium be careful
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree you are likely overcooking it. Use a meat thermometer to tell you when it's done. Take it out when it's about 10 degrees under done, as the temp will continue to rise after it's out of the oven.

Brining chicken is a good way to seal in the moisture too. Personally for anything other than pan seering I get breasts with the bone and skin still on as they cook up much juicier. I peel back the skin and add spices before cooking, then remove the skin before eating.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    overcooked
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I agree you are likely overcooking it. Use a meat thermometer to tell you when it's done. Take it out when it's about 10 degrees under done, as the temp will continue to rise after it's out of the oven.

Brining chicken is a good way to seal in the moisture too. Personally for anything other than pan seering I get breasts with the bone and skin still on as they cook up much juicier. I peel back the skin and add spices before cooking, then remove the skin before eating.
    Brining is the way to go.
  • Annetinkerbell
    Annetinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with the skin on to keep it moist, but then remove the skin before eating. Otherwise I cover it with a piece or ham of foil, it kind of steams it a bit, always makes good ones.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? It changes everything. Seriously... tender chicken breasts, no stock/liquid required unless you just want to. I put in 9 frozen breasts for six hours... shredded with a fork beautifully. We ate it for 2-3 days with a homemade bbq sauce poured over... delicious and too easy.

I did this the other day without any added liquid came home to 4 dryed out pieces of chicken. I was soooooo mad. I usually add some kind of broth or water and didn't that time. I will from now on though
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Everytime I cook chicken breat it comes out dry and tasteless. I cook my chicken breast in my oven and I season it with different species and what not. Am I over cooking it or what? Oh and yeah, I am new at cooking

Overcooking it. 350 for about 15-20 mins should do it.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i used to have this problem too. now i pound out the chicken til its flat and then i simmer some extra virgin olive oil and garlic in a pan on top of the stove. Then i set the oven to 500 degrees and put the chicken breast in a casserole dish. Once the oil has warmed up for a couple of mins, stir in some brown sugar and pour the oil over the chicken breast and put the casserole dish into the oven. cook for about 20 mins. the oil makes the chicken breast moist. and the best thing is 1 breast only has about 250 calories.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Slice in half to make them thin, add Mrs. Dash, then grill. Cooks quicker and is juicy.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Temperature and time = to everything.
  • BeckysWellnessPlan
    Options
    Saviing for future reference!
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are baking it than use a food thermometer to check for when it is done. If the internal temp is 165 degrees F then chow down. Consider cooking it with some lemon juice or olive oil as well.
  • Muskiecat
    Muskiecat Posts: 7
    Options
    Brining chicken breast is definitely the way to go. The recommended ratio is 2 quarts of water and 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar, and only brine for one hour. This will also work with boneless pork loin chops.
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Everytime I cook chicken breat it comes out dry and tasteless. I cook my chicken breast in my oven and I season it with different species and what not. Am I over cooking it or what? Oh and yeah, I am new at cooking

could be that you are seasoning it with different species...

I lol'd when I read that

but seriously, you are probably over cooking it
  • mburger84
    mburger84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Marinate and use a meat thermometer.....tells you the exact time its done without over cooking.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If it is a large breast, bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. If it is a smaller breast, check it at around 25 minutes. I've found that if you cook a good sized chicken breast in the oven for longer than 35 minutes it comes out really dry.

Also, you can always pan sear it with a little cooking spray or olive oil to cook it faster. In order to do it correctly and not have the chicken come out tough you need to have your burner as hot as you can get it. Then, sear until you can see it turning white about half way up (usually 5-7 minutes) then flip it and sear the same amount of time on the other side. If your heat is too low or if you flip it more than once, it will come out dry and tough.

Hope these tips help. Also, you can always marinade or add some breading (1 slice light bread and 1/4 cup nuts with some spices works well, dip breast in egg beaters to get breading to stick). Those will help, but it sounds like the underlying problem is that you are cooking your chicken for too long.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Sautee in a pan with some chicken broth(low fat/low sodium), salt and pepper. Cook til almost done(just a hint of pink in the center). Set the meat aside for 10 min covered to rest. I got this from Giada De Laurentis on TV.

It is simple and comes out moist and amazingly flavorful.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you talking WHOLE chicken breast on the bone, frozen ones off the bone, what? It makes a huge difference.
  • chloeraesmommy
    Options
    Same here if u use my foreman grill they come out juicy every time!