30 Day Shred - What do people think?

Options
13»

Replies

• rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a very physically active person in 5+ years aside from occasional use of the eliptical and the 30DS was my intro into the exercise community. I felt it was a great start with the short workouts and different levels. I lost about 7 lbs while doing it. I started doing it a few days a week (3-4) and that was the only exercise I was doing while maintaining a low cal diet.

I thought it was REALLY hard at first and days 1-9 were challenging but it was so amazing to see my progress and endurance during the time I did it! I can do workout 1 no problem now! I definitely urge anyone looking for any extra workouts to try it! 30 minutes- what do you have to lose?!
  • prettyblack69
    Options
    i really like 30day shred, for me its jus really boring to do the same thing for 30 days straight i have to switch it up, but as far as the workout goes i love it, ill keep it in rotation with the other workouts that i do
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 508
    Options
    It is a great begginer workout. Do it a few times, then when you find it getting a bit easy for you try her Ripped in 30 video, then after that do the Extreme Shed and Shred. If you wanna really shake it up do her 6 week 6 pack a few days a week WITH her killer buns and thighs workout on the other days of the week.

Right now I alternate Extreme Shed and shred levels 1 and 2( I have been doing this video for about 3 months) as my morning workout and I follow the p90x schedule for my afternoon workouts. Jillian workouts are great way to build yourself up to more intense workouts plus most of her routines are very similar to p90x workouts.

Just a note though, if you use a heart rate monitor you will notice in time that you really don't get that big of a calorie burn with 30DS after doing it for a while...that's when you should jump up to one of the other videos I mentioned....I reccomend them in that order based on difficulty. Of course you can always add heavier weights too but I got bored with 30DS after doing it 2 times through.
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love 30 DS. I start Level 3 today! I have lost about 7 pounds so far.
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I read on a forum topic on here before that Jillian actually recommends to do 2 days of 30DS and 1 day cardio then 2days of 30DS and a day of cardio then a rest day. She said that it was just the production company that wanted to call it 30 Day Shred and that she wouldnt recommend doing it 30 days non stop cause your body needs a day to rest in order to repair itself.

True! I am doing Jillian Michael's newest workout series- The Body Revolution which is a 90 day program. She has them set up as Monday- Front of body workout. Tuesday- Back of body workout. Wednesday- Cardio. Thursday- Front of body. Friday- Back of body. Saturday- Cardio. Sunday- Rest. Each are a 30 minute circuit training. I find it much more effective than doing the same thing over and over. After I finished 30DS I started Ripped in 30 and actually added another workout in between days to mix it up.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It's hard work, but it is definitely worth it. Check out my blog if you want to see my results. The top entry is from halfway through Ripped in 30 (which I'll be finishing tomorrow), but just below that is an entry with my 30 Day Shred results and pictures. I lost 7.5 lbs and 5 or 6 inches, overall, I believe...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mariposa224 That's my blog. :smile: Best wishes to you & much success on your journey!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 4, Level 1. So far I really like it. It definitely kicks your butt, but it gets better My thighs are not quite as sore as they were two days ago...lol
  • Jodi_83
    Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Random question - how much space do you need to do this?
    I just ordered it online - but I live in share accomodation - and don't necessarily want to be doing it in the living room (/don't want my housemates to know I'm doing it). So was wondering if it is possible to do in my bedroom?

(I have enough floor space for push ups - will I need much more than this?)
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just ordered it online - but I live in share accomodation - and don't necessarily want to be doing it in the living room (/don't want my housemates to know I'm doing it). So was wondering if it is possible to do in my bedroom?

You should be able to do it. You need enough space to spread out as if you were making a snow angel if that makes sense.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options

I do this in my bedroom with about 7 feet by 4 feet space. Lay on the ground and make sure you have space to have your legs straight out in front of you and your arms straight out to your sides, with a little extra space so you don't accidentally knock your arms or legs on something. Also, you'll be jumping around a lot.. Hopefully you're not upstairs.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting the 30 day shred, I've heard its really hard work, but what does everyone think?

Is it worth it/does it work? Does anyone have pictures/statistics of before and after the 30ds? :)

Thanks!

Any regular exercise program will work to get you stronger and more toned, if you like working out at home and working with dvd's you will like this one. BUUUUUTTTTTT you need to maintain a healthy diet to get real results. Exercise is very important but it needs to be combined with proper nutrition.
    I burn about 3500-4000 calories per week exercising, but since I still have not stabilized my nutrition, I don't lose weight and I see this with others too.
    Do the program, eat healthy and I'm sure you will have great results.
    :happy:
  • loriimorganflood
    Options
    i'm doing the kettlebell 30 minute version and it is challenging...i would recommend it and after getting familiar with JM's routine, you can play other music and just go along on your own.....i haven't progressed to level 2 yet -- been doing this for a month, with cardio on the other 3 days a week...
  • EmilyCholette1990
    EmilyCholette1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like it, I do crossfit in the morning and i find its a good thing to add when i get home or right before work since its so short!
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot - its hard not to be able to find a half hour to work in a decent workout, although i managed to do just that a time or two. I like to mix it up and do that some days and go to the gym on other days. It's awesome when you're crunched for time though.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This was the first DVD that I started with. I was in horrible condition when I started and truly felt like I was going to die for the first three days. BUT....after that I could tell I was getting stronger and I could tell a big difference in what I was capable of when I finished the 30 days. I always thought that I wouldn't be able to make the step to the next level but when I tried it I found that I was able to do it with minimal difficulties. It was challenging but the previous 10 days had prepared me to make the step up.

I just started doing the Shred again to work on losing the baby weight I just gained but I lost a good bit of weight and gained a fair amount of strength by using it previous to my pregnancy.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT! HATE IT!
    I did it for more than 20days, and I hate it. Here are the reasons why:
    -Drains the energy out of me, can't hardly do anything after the workout, even doing dishes is impossible
    -BORING AS HELL
    -Makes me hate exercising: it made me so miserable, and made me detest exercising
    -Hate the way she talks, she is not motivating at all
    -Puts in my crappy mood: it completely put me in the worst mood, every day, because I dredded it
    -The girls in the video slack-completely unmotivation, if those skinny girls can't handle why can I? Not to mention they have miserable faces and don't even act like they like exercising
    -AWFUL on the joins, it f***ed up my knees/sheens/ankles
    -doesn't burm much calories

WHAT I RECOMMEND---TURBO JAM
    -BURNS MORE CALORIES than 30DS. I burned 40 more calories doing Turbo Jam Abs for 20mins, than I did doing 30DS for 26mins, and Turbo Jam abs is million times easier than 30DS, but works every muscle
    -It's fun, makes it fun to exercise, makes me love exercising
    -It gives me TON of energy after, no matter whether I do 20mins or 60mins of it
    -It comes with 7 different workouts, so I don't get bored AT ALL
    -The people in the video are completely enjoying themselves, all at different levels of fitness so you can make it hard or easy, they are so enthusiastic that it motivates you
    -the trainer is million times more motivation than Jillian Michaels will ever be, she is nice and not a b**** like Jillian
    -This workout is perfect for people with join probelms/knee problems because it less impact even thought you're working so hard
    -Did I mention it's FUN?!?!?! I don't think I can mention that enough, bucause its the best workout ever

No offense to all you 30DS lover, but if you tried Turbo Jam, I don't think you would ever go back to that hell workout.
  • Jodi_83
    Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I do this in my bedroom with about 7 feet by 4 feet space. Lay on the ground and make sure you have space to have your legs straight out in front of you and your arms straight out to your sides, with a little extra space so you don't accidentally knock your arms or legs on something. Also, you'll be jumping around a lot.. Hopefully you're not upstairs.

Cool thanks - think I will have enough room - although I am upstairs. But figure as long as I get home from work early enough, the guy who's bedroom is underneath mine won't notice haha