I can't eat 2,000 calories for dinner...

13»

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    I wouldnt bother with those elvis bars, coz after looking up recipe they look mega high in cals.

That was why they were suggested...
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    I don't see how your base goal can be set to 1,900 and you're still expected to lose weight...? If you set your activity level to active then I don't think you're expected to eat back your exercise calories if it's that particular exercise that makes you qualify as "active".
    Just my $0.02

I don't know the OPs weight or how much she wants to lose but I'm guessing she is heavier. I started at 1800 and lost weight quickly. I'm currently losing weight on 1673 calories. You don't need to starve to lose weight.

Yeah, I understand that, I was just wondering if that means she's required to eat her exercise calories back as well... 2,800 seems like an awful lot to eat whilst "dieting" is all I'm thinking.

yeah.. hard to say. If its working, I'd just continue what youre doing. I must add though... I bike about 150 - 200 miles a week averaging about 20 mph and my weight remains pretty stable eating 2500-3000 calories (measured with a scale). Have to add what others might have mentioned... either you log your exercise and set your activity level to none, or set your activity level accurately and dont log your exercise- otherwise your double counting. I only say this as the numbers just dont seem right... Even your body is saying "I dont really need this much".
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    We aren't talking BMR. I was referring to calorie burn for exercise. Muscle burns more than fat too. I doubt someone heavy same age same heart rate same duration of exercise is going to burn more calories. It's not accepted fact that someone heavy is burning more calories when talking about eating exercise calories back. Too many heavier people think because e they exercise a bit they burn and need to eat back all calories her post is not making any sense if you review her exercise journal.

okay, how about this one?
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/sm00109
    Do you really think that only BMR is effected by size and exercise calories burned aren't? Certainly muscle is more metabolically active that fat, but that's meaningless for the discussion at hand. How metabolically active your body is based on muscle vs. fat is a factor in BMR, NOT exercise. Exercise calories expended are a function of mass. Here's another way for you to think about this: How much energy do you burn moving a ten pound weight, vs. a one-hundred pound weight? Is it exactly the same, or does the weight you move effect the energy needed to move the weight?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    yeah.. hard to say. If its working, I'd just continue what youre doing. I must add though... I bike about 150 - 200 miles a week averaging about 20 mph and my weight remains pretty stable eating 2500-3000 calories (measured with a scale). Have to add what others might have mentioned... either you log your exercise and set your activity level to none, or set your activity level accurately and dont log your exercise- otherwise your double counting. I only say this as the numbers just dont seem right... Even your body is saying "I dont really need this much".

I'm with this poster. Be careful you're not "double dipping". I think some folks are doing this and don't even know it.
  • Thanks, and my daily goal is 1950 but like I said, my workouts have been crazy so that ups my calorie goal. Peanut butter seems to be the way everyone says to get some calories. Those Elvis bars the second poster mentioned sound really yummy but the recipe I looked up had sooo much sugar! So I'm not sure yet, but I know I won't make the goal for today. I guess I'm just looking for some general advice since I have this problem every day.

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 220, and as a 'moderately active' person, my calorie goal to maintain comes in around 2750. I do P90-X every day, and burn between 600 and 850 calories (net, calculated with a HRM). I'm trying to lose 2lb a week, so that brings my goal down to 1750, and then I add back in my workout calories - at most, I'd be up around 2500... I really do think you're daily calorie target is off.