Doctor says I'm overweight... ?

I am 5'5" and currently 130 pounds. I've never really felt "fat," let alone overweight. However, after my check up with my doctor, he told me I was close to being overweight for my height.

He explained that 4 years ago I was 106lbs and had gained an average of 7 pounds a year since then. According to him, I should be 109 pounds. However, that was before puberty. Somehow, he calculated that I would be 145 pounds by the end of my senior year of high school... that just doesn't make sense to me, since I've been 130 pounds for a year now. And even last year when I figure skated 3 hours a day and went to the gym on top of that, I weighed 3 pounds less than I do now. Not much of a difference to me.

He then told me I was showing signs of glucose intolerance and at risk for diabetes. Diabetes has never, eve run in my family. And he somehow connected my belly button with signs of diabetes... Huh?

I don't know. What do you guys think? Should I get a secondary check up with another doctor? Or should I take his advice to heart and try to lose weight (21 pounds apparently, though that seems extremely excessive)?

Replies

• SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    You're bang in the middle of the healthy weight range according to the BMI calculator on this site. Love the belly button diagnosis for diabetes and shall dine out on that one, but if I were you I'd put it all down to experience and find a different doctor!
  • juliekat1955
    juliekat1955 Posts: 67 Member
    Average weight for a female your height is 113-138 so you are fine. It sounds like you get exercise and feel good. Maybe a second opinion would be a good idea, it certainly couldn't hurt anything. Good Luck. :smile:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Your profile shows you as 19?

You are at a healthy BMI.

Ask him what in your blood tests shows insulin resistance.

If he can't answer that, get a new doc.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Your doctor sounds like he needs his brain checking over. Seriously wonder if they even actually qualified or somehow cheated the system to get into practise as there is nothing wrong with your weight. It seems even those in the medical profession can suffer from a total lack of education and low IQ syndrome, advising someone of a healthy weight to lose.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Your doctor is a fool. IGNORE HIM!
    Next Question?
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    I would definitely get another opinion! Doctors don't know everything and to me you sound fine!
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    get a new doctor as diagnosing you based on your belly button is a bit.. odd.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Get a new doctor!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    I agree with getting another opinion. I have diabetes and no one EVER looked at my navel! :laugh:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Second opinion. I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you may still be seeing your pediatrician?
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Her account's deactivated.
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Get another doctor.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I agree with your doctor if you used to be 106 and really put on 7lbs a year. That's a lot of weight in a short time.

He could have been pointing at increased belly fat also.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member

Hmmm....that's interesting.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member

She was obviously less than 18 yr old. Don't know if she took her profile down herself or a Mod did it for her. From her post....4 years ago was before puberty & doctor calculated she would be 145 before the end of her senior year of high school. That would probably put her about 14-16 yr old.

As for the topic at hand....that doctor sounds like an idiot. Diabetes can't be judged or diagnosed without blood tests. 5'9" - 130 lbs for any late teen or adult female is a perfectly healthy, if not slightly thin weight (depending on body build).
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    The doctor is probably not a fool and there is probably something missing from this story. No doctor will diagnose a glucose intolerance without labs (so I seriously doubt he said this without a blood test). I've noticed it's very easy to get a bunch of people here to call a doctor an idiot. Get a second opinion.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Your doctor is nuts.

I'd find a new doctor.

You BMI is in a healthy range for your height and you look great in your photo.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    According to MFP, average weight for our height (yes, I am ALSO 5'5") is 111-150 lbs. My goal is 130 lbs, which is smack-dab in the CENTER of that weight range. Now, I know I'm a good deal older than you (I'm 38, for the record) but when I was 18-21 I weighed 105-110 soaking-ringing wet. My husband said I was too skinny, but I was SUPER active and most of my weight was muscle.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member

Hmmm....that's interesting.

Right??? Hmmmmm.....
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Um my goal at 5'4 is 130 because that puts me as healthy. Seriously go get a second opinion. Also I have been being tested for diabetes for years and I don't truly think your belly button has anything to do with it.