Personal trainer here to say hi and help you

My name is Brian Jacobs and I'm a personal trainer with a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Rowan. I'm not new to this site, but I'm new to the forums and never really gave them a chance. I've used this site and the ap on my iPhone to keep track of my meals, being that I take my diet very seriously. I'm currently 5'9'' 168.5 lbs. @ 7% body fat.

Enough about me. I'm here to help any of you if you need it. I enjoy assisting people in their journey to happiness. Fitness is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm here to help end America's health crisis one person at a time. It's my job.

Nice meeting you all.

Replies

• likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Welcome, and thank you for being helpful.
  • cb2500
    cb2500 Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a few quick questions for you, I am trying to lose a lot of weight at the moment but finding exercising difficult as even though I am only 30 I have arthritis in both hips (right is worse) knees, shoulders and wrists so although I can exercise for a time it is diffiuclt when I have a real flair up of pain - what activities would you suggest for me to try? I am in the UK by the way. Thanks ever so much for your help.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    welcome! glad to know there is someone i can go to to ask questions! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Welcome.
    I am in training to become a CPT atm, I sent you a FR :) Thankyou for helping everyone out.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Nice to meet you, too! I certainly have a long way to go, and it's great that you want to help people reach their goals. Welcome to the forums!! :smile:
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Hi
    I have a few quick questions for you, I am trying to lose a lot of weight at the moment but finding exercising difficult as even though I am only 30 I have arthritis in both hips (right is worse) knees, shoulders and wrists so although I can exercise for a time it is diffiuclt when I have a real flair up of pain - what activities would you suggest for me to try? I am in the UK by the way. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Swimming!!!!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Hi!!! It is great that you are willing to be available to questions! Thanks!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Hi

Swimming!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Hi! Help me. Please. lol
  • Thank you for wanting to help us here! We appreciate it:wink:
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    I am lucky enough to have my own PT, but I think it is amazing that you are here and willing to help those who don't. Thank you for that!!!!
  • brianj1988
    brianj1988 Posts: 48
    Hi

I'm currently training someone with arthritis and she has lost 30 lbs. in a month! Be active. Train your muscles with high repetitions and low weight until your joints can handle heavier weight. Try to push yourself past your mental limit without hitting your physical limit. The more muscle, the faster your metabolism. We all want a good metabolism.. =)
  • brianj1988
    Hi! Help me. Please. lol

That's what I'm here for! =)
  • brianj1988
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I'm actually shocked how quickly you all responded haha
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Hi!

Just to show you how tired I am, I read your post and saw "University of Rohan," and I thought... AWESOME.

I guess this means I need to go to bed (I've been up since 5am, and it's midnight). Welcome, and thanks for offering us help! Feel free to add me!
  • brianj1988
    Hi!

Just to show you how tired I am, I read your post and saw "University of Rohan," and I thought... AWESOME.

I guess this means I need to go to bed (I've been up since 5am, and it's midnight). Welcome, and thanks for offering us help! Feel free to add me!

Hahaha get some sleep! Thanks for the welcome.
  • Hi! Thank you, a million times over. :)

I do have a question, as well. I have bulging L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs that are compressing peripheral nerves; I did 6 weeks of physical therapy and generally, it's under control. I have started running a couple days a week - I'm averaging about 1/4 mile each time, with 3/4 mile walking, but by the end of it my back is starting to hurt, and usually the next day is pretty sore. What can I do to lessen the impact or make it hurt less, so I can work on building those muscles back up and be able to run without pain?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Hi! Help me. Please. lol

Awesome! I've been working out since Christmas Eve of last year, I've lost almost 40lbs but,,,, I keep getting injuries, mostly from accidents and they slow me down and I get depressed because I have GOALS to reach! Figuring out what exercises I can do with a broken foot, sore shoulder, sore knee, etc., makes it difficult. I have a bowflex, exercise ball, bike, treadmill and a pool but with the problems I'm having, I need someone to kick me in the butt and make me realize that there are other things I can be doing with less pain. For now, I can hardly walk, let alone run (I was doing C25K when I had my 'accident'). I know I could do some weight training but I'm not sure what to try and how I can modify the exercises to keep me from tearing up anything else. I also may be facing surgery on the foot, I'll find out Monday and I hope it's good news.
    Thank you for taking your time to help some of us. I appreciate it!
  • brianj1988
    Hi! Thank you, a million times over. :)

I do have a question, as well. I have bulging L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs that are compressing peripheral nerves; I did 6 weeks of physical therapy and generally, it's under control. I have started running a couple days a week - I'm averaging about 1/4 mile each time, with 3/4 mile walking, but by the end of it my back is starting to hurt, and usually the next day is pretty sore. What can I do to lessen the impact or make it hurt less, so I can work on building those muscles back up and be able to run without pain?

For now, you're doing the right thing by staying active. Never let anything get in the way of a fitness regimen, unless it's absolutely debilitating. Once you start to gain health in your back, I'd advise working your back out with very light weight but high reps, or maybe use the rowing machine. You need to gain the strength back in your back as soon as possible, before it gets worse. Diet, diet, diet too. Eventually, you'll get there. Once you can do a low plank for one minute, I think you're on the path to getting back to the pinnacle.
  • brianj1988
    Hi! Help me. Please. lol

Awesome! I've been working out since Christmas Eve of last year, I've lost almost 40lbs but,,,, I keep getting injuries, mostly from accidents and they slow me down and I get depressed because I have GOALS to reach! Figuring out what exercises I can do with a broken foot, sore shoulder, sore knee, etc., makes it difficult. I have a bowflex, exercise ball, bike, treadmill and a pool but with the problems I'm having, I need someone to kick me in the butt and make me realize that there are other things I can be doing with less pain. For now, I can hardly walk, let alone run (I was doing C25K when I had my 'accident'). I know I could do some weight training but I'm not sure what to try and how I can modify the exercises to keep me from tearing up anything else. I also may be facing surgery on the foot, I'll find out Monday and I hope it's good news.
    Thank you for taking your time to help some of us. I appreciate it!

I hope everything goes well for you. I'm here to help if you ever need it.