I've gained 34lbs since starting here, and am PROUD OF IT.

Options
lpchica36
lpchica36 Posts: 11 Member
Hey everyone!

I want to write a message getting my story out there in the hopes that it will help and inspire you onto achieving your goals and will help you stick with your program! In 2010, I started getting very weak and sick, and started losing a ton of weight without even trying. I ate healthy, exercised normally, and was an all around healthy girl. And then, I started dropping weight LIKE CRAZY, without doing anything. It was happening so fast, and I was even trying to gain weight by eating, at one point, a 4000 calorie diet filled with whole wheat pasta, bread, literally anything I could get my hands on that was healthy to put on weight. But still, even with my attempts, the scale kept going down, and I soon found myself at 5’5” and 78 lbs. It was also the most Hell-ish time in my life because everyone took one look at me and made the immediate judgement "anorexic" and proceeded to avoid me like the plague. It was the most lonely painful time of my life, and at the same time, I was literally fighting for that life, even though at the time, I didn't know why I should continue to fight if I was just going to be harassed the rest of my life.

The doctors were also mystified and could not figure out what was going wrong with my health. For a while there, I was literally almost about to die, and not many 20 year olds can say that they’ve faced imminent death- but I did. We did tons and tons of research, exploring every single possibility we could think of until one specific diagnosis came up. I had every single symptom of it and it turns out that I have very severe Celiacs Disease! When I found that out, everything all of a sudden made sense. The reason why I was losing so much weight was because my body could not absorb the wheat I was giving it, and everything I was eating was just serving to make me even more ill. Well, I am proud to say that since discovering my Celiacs Disease, going on a completely gluten free diet, (higher in calories of course), and lifting heavy weights, I have successfully put on 34 lbs. over 2 years, and my health (and life) is finally thriving!

And while this message board does not even begin to do my journey justice, I know it will help someone, so that's why I posted it. If I can gain 34 lbs., with a disease that makes gaining weight incredibly challenging, then you can lose 34 pounds. As I live in this new body, not sick anymore, not harassed anymore, and not fearful anymore, I am reminded that life, and our bodies, are gifts, and we cannot afford to take any of it for granted. No matter what size you are, weight you are, what your struggles are, or what you're going through, you listen here. You can do it. Don't let anyone, including yourself, EVER tell you otherwise. Your dreams were given to you for a reason, and you will live to see them become a reality. I have, and am living in that dream, my healthy body, right now. Love you all and thanks for reading.

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You have your health back, good job!!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Congrats on working back up!. Paragraphs are your friend though :)

keep up the good work.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am glad to know you have your life back in a body that is friendly to you again.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

keep up the good work.

Put $20 in the jar dude!
    This aint www.mygrammarpal.com!
    a_560x0.jpg
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is touching. I know it will help many people out there. Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    That's amazing it took so long for people to work out what was wrong with you. Well done for the diet/lifestyle overhaul and getting your weight back up (and shame on the people who judged and shunned you).
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Thank you for your lovely words, and congratulations on your journey so far xxx
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options

keep up the good work.

I took a quick peek at your profile & seeing as you are a grammatical wunderkind, I was amazed to find five glaring grammar issues on your introduction!

TO THE OP, KUDOS, YOU ROCK. Well done for struggling through & finding out what works for you!

Russ
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :heart: Congratulations, and what a WONDERFUL post! :smile:
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. What an amazing (and frightening) journey. Congratulatons on not giving up and climbing your way back to health! You are an inspiration!
  • succesfullyskinny
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and congrats on finding a healthy diet that works for you! :smile:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Great job! Very happy for you =]
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Infuriating that it took the doctors that long to diagnose you with Celiac!!!! That was my first thought!

Congrats on fighting for a diagnosis and doing your weight gain!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Congrats. It is sooo cool to me that people also use this site to gain weight to get to a healthy weight. Glad you are on the mend :)
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    That's great! Keep up the good work!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

My father has celiac disease, so I understand the challenge you have overcome!
  • KamiKimi
    KamiKimi Posts: 2 Member
    Options

keep up the good work.

I took a quick peek at your profile & seeing as you are a grammatical wunderkind, I was amazed to find five glaring grammar issues on your introduction!

TO THE OP, KUDOS, YOU ROCK. Well done for struggling through & finding out what works for you!

Russ

Lol, asking for paragraphs isn't being a grammar nazi, it is simply asking for readability.

And congratulations! I'm so glad your health is improving! =D
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats!! (And welcome to the club!!) I'm so glad they figured it out. Celiacs is one of those diseases that docs don't always seem to catch.
    I'm an officially undiagnosed possible Celiac. I gave up complaining and went gluten free. Not until I started getting better did the doc say "Oh, well maybe we should do that test." Um, no, not now that I don't feel like walking death, thank you very much!! I wasn't dropping weight like crazy (I couldn't lose at ALL, which I've heard is not unlikely), I was in constant pain, had constant nausea, migraines several times a week, brain fog, serious GI issues, big dark circles under my eyes, severe fatigue (it was the worst before I decided to go GF, I was falling asleep standing up) - and fatigue is where you're still tired even after a full nights rest, you never wake up rested at all. When I saw a GI finally due to gallbladder issues (which took them 6 months to figure out as well), we talked about what I had going on and she said she was sure I had Celiac based on my prior symptoms. These days if I screw up, I'll be miserable for weeks. Are you on the gluten free board here?
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Nice post, glad you are feeling healthy and happy again
  • robinregina
    robinregina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of your success!!!!! You are truly a God send!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!

Robin
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!