Olive Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about sugar in salad dressing, it might be easier to make some. Depending on what type you prefer, I bet you could make a superior version at home with relatively little effort, even if cooking isn't your favorite thing to do! Vinaigrettes are easy, and there are lots of good recipes available online. That said, my favorite way to eat the tender, delicious lettuce that's in season in my area (mid-Atlantic) right now is to tear up a head, toss the leaves with a tiny bit of olive oil (maybe a tablespoon to a head of lettuce that would feed six or eight people), season with a bit of sea salt and fresh black pepper (the olive oil helps the salt and pepper to stick to the leaves), and add vinegar on my plate. I've devoured entire heads of lettuce this way - no regrets!

As for frying eggs, I adore good butter, so I use a half tablespoon or so for two eggs. And while fat is high in calories, good sources of fat are nutritionally dense foods that seem to keep people feeling full and happy when eaten regularly. Personally, I include all cooking fat in my recipes and food log here on MFP, and I stay within my calorie range pretty easily (my diary is open if you'd like to take a peek). I never feel hungry, and I rarely have strong, irresistible food urges, so it seems to work for me.

Hope you find some salad dressings you like!
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I use coconut oil, olive oil and sesame oil. They all have pretty much the same amount of calories. I try to eat at least 1 tsp of oil every day because the fat from it is healthy fat that we need :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    get a misto bottle and use that. it makes it very hard to overuse olive oil. i used to dump it without really measuring and guess how much i'd used. now i use a couple sprays from the misto in the pan or on the salad and i know i'm using less than i had before.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use olive oil to cook. I use canola oil and only a little bit.
  • bettyh12
    bettyh12 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you have a really good non-stick pan, you don't need to use any oil to "fry" foods. My husband bought me two Calphalon skillets that I absolutely love for cooking things that stick. They can go in the dishwasher, too. (He got them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond).
    :flowerforyou:
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For over medium/sunny-side up eggs I steam rather than oil. :) No added calories, fluffier whites and the same runny yolk.
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't know what kind of eggs you like, but when I do omelets and etc at home I just crack an egg in a plastic bowl about the size that I need and microwave it. Never stick to the bowl too bad and I never need a butter/spray/oil to do it. I can get them to come out perfectly for my muffin sandwiches this way, just like mcdonalds egg mcmuffin sandwiches but not slathered in grease lol.

Wow I do the same thing so easy and convenient :love:
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I cook on cast iron skillets. Have to oil them up. I use the fats left of from bacon. Save it in a jar and keep it next to the stove. Pretty much use it for everything I cook in the skillet. Some time I use coconut oil as well
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love the Walden Farms salad dressing products. I often mix them with another product to cut the calories in half. A family favorite (if everyone eats it you know it's good) is Paul Newman Lite honey mustard mixed with Walden Farms calorie free Hnoney mustard. Only has 35 calories, so you can use 3 tablespoons on a big dinner salad

Another really good mix that I like and my husband likes too, is to mix the Walden Farms Calorie Free Maple Syrup with a genuine 100% real maple syrup. It has as many calories as a lite fake syrup, but it has a thinner and more authentic consistency and taste. That is still a bit high calories for me (100 calories for syrup) so I usually use a sugar free syrup. But some people might like it.

If I'm havng a salad that has a fatty meat in it (like salmon, which is full of Omega oils) then I will use a straight Walden Farm dressing because I don't need any extra healthy fats, and I want to save all the calories I can in that case for some other tasty treat.

Ruth
    I've been on MFP for a few years. And today i made some eggs. So I decided not to use the generic fried egg and build my egg in my food diary with olive oil. And wow I did not know olive oil had that many calories. My question is what do you use? And has anyone found a salad dressing that does not have sugar in it?

Make sure you found the correct brand of oil, my EVO is only 40 cals per table spoon, Olive oil is also very good for you. You could use pam olive oil spray or any pam product instead. If you are super worried about your eggs and how you fry them ... just hard boil them.

Walden Farms makes fat free calorie free dressings just double checked they're sugar free also. ... However they don't really taste super amazing or anything takes some time to get use to them. Personally I make my own salad dressing and I use evo in all of them, on the plus size they contain no sugar :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat, but I often use lemon juice and ground pepper, or just red wine or balsamic vinegar with no oil at all. I'm really not sure why salad dressing is supposed to have oil in it, but I don't miss it at all.

(But I agree that olive is good for you, and that you don't want a fat free diet - fats are really important. I just don't get them in my salad dressing.)

For eggs, I spray a little cooking spray (canola oil) or use an olive oil mister (as in, it sprays a mist of olive oil). You get neglible calories that way.