what you need to know about your scale!!!!

Options

Replies

• BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that! :)
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great Post! That is why I don't record gains as long as I'm sticking to my calorie limits. I know they're just temporary fluctuations and there is no way I could gain 2 (real) pounds in a day.
    :happy:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

-to gain or loose a pound you HAVE to eat or burn 3500 calories!!! This is hard science, and logically you have to keep this in mind!!

My point in posting this is that you have to learn to stop obsessing about the scale and let your logic override your emotional side that is locked into that number. Essentially, that number is often meaningless! Don't get me wrong, accountability and weighing yourself is a good tool, but keep this all in mind.

Focus on how you feel....Focus on how your clothes fit......Focus on the fact that you can carry out all your groceries with one hand and do not need a cart or the bagger to help you!!! Focus on the fact that you can walk the stairs at work and you actually prefer to do this rather than take the elevator. Focus on the fact that you can carry your child on your back during a hike and find it to be a great challenge. Focus on increased time or endurance running, walking, lifting, swimming.....whatever!

FOCUS ON BEING HEALTHY!!! FOCUS ON BEING STRONG.....NOT SKINNY!!! :-)

So true! I wish I knew all this when I started! But know I know :)
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks, I needed that! This just happened to me, I thought I gained 5 lbs in a week, and I didn't do anything different...the next week I back to normal and actually lost an extra pound....
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    great advice!
  • iluvmyortiz1122
    iluvmyortiz1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also make sure and take measurements every couple of weeks. I'm doing cross fit and a reduced calorie diet, so my weight loss is slow in my mind. I drive myself crazy weighing everyday, but if/when I measure, I feel more accomplished! Since June 4th, I've lost only 4# or so, but have lost 12.5"!
  • KB0JWR
    KB0JWR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have a very unhealthy obsession with my scales. I will keep your post in mind! Good info and it was nice to read through the responses and not see a load of criticism! :flowerforyou:
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great read :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bntcole
    Bntcole Posts: 2
    Options
    Phew!!!

I have been so discouraged until I read this... I kept thinking why is this not working and I am eating less than my goal almost every day.
  • tealwater81
    Options
    Awesome POST!
  • lolytaz
    lolytaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed this today! :)
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for this :)
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    What people forget most I think is that muscle weighs more than fat. You can lose fat but gain muscle, and therefore your going to gain weight. If your doing everything right, then don't worry about the weight that much. Look in the mirror and see the difference.
  • annvandamm
    Options
    It is exactly what I needed to hear..thank you for posting!!
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am shocked that no one wanted to argue something on this post! It's a festivus miracle!!! LMAO ;-)
  • tealwater81
    Options
    thanks!
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well said! Thank you