New respect for runners

Options
I have a new found respect for runners...I ran my first mile since high school period non stop yesterday, in good pace too (8:43.2) and my legs feel like I beat them w/ a meat tenderizer...WOW

But, I'm looking forward to my next run.

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thats a great time for a mile if you never run, good work
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When is that going to be? Don't wait to long. Good start:smile:
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    Thats a great time for a mile if you never run, good work

Thanks...I was proud....I wanna get my mile down to high school form...5:45 was my fastest mile
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Good for you!! Now the trick is to keep it up. Don't not run b/c you are sore. Stick with it!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Well done! Great time too!
  • classic_1
    Options
    When is that going to be? Don't wait to long. Good start:smile:

I want it to be 2morrow morning...now I'm just gonna work my way up to 5K...using C25K...I know I can push harder then the first couple of weeks will push I just wanna take it slow...that mile was just a trial jog...but I'm gonna push to run that 5:45 mark if not faster then push up to 5K then maybe 10K...who knows if its rational but I get crazy like that sometimes...keeps me pushing
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    rock on. Sounds like a very successful run :-)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Awesome pace! It will get easier and more addictive! Good luck!
  • classic_1
    Options
    Its crazy bc I only ran 1 mile but now after meeting runners I'm thinking about maybe pushing and training for marathons...and I've never jogged b4 in my life...now only if I can stop walking around the house like newborn colt haha
  • classic_1
    Options
    rock on. Sounds like a very successful run :-)

I guess I have to agree. When I originally saw my time I wasn't happy or satisfied...I wanted a faster time. But after talking to so many people with experience...they've really made me feel confident in the time I had...I'm gonna continue to push...I'm hungry now so, I just have to feed the need lol
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Great job!!! And yes don't wait too long. Nothing stretches out the muscles like a good run!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Great job!!! And yes don't wait too long. Nothing stretches out the muscles like a good run!

So true!!
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good first run. However, don't expect to instantly run 8 minute miles when you do 3, 4, or 5 miles. If you try you'll probably end up bent double at the side of the road. Set a pace which you can maintain for a longer distance.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you build up to some consistent running over the next few months I think you will get that 5:45 mile. Great job getting out there.
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tip I found good, if you want to run distance give yourself a period of time to run in, say 20 minutes. Run constantly at a set pace for that time and then incrementally build up speed. Then extend the time.

I did it the other way round and it did not go well. This way is much better.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    Well congrats to you!!! My fastest time is 8:21 and I have run miles and miles and cannot seem to beat that time. I am starting to think that I was meant to run for distance and not speed I guess. It is frustrating. I can keep a 9 mile a minute pace for miles but to build that speed is very hard for me to do for some reason. Oh well, I run every day and I love it!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Very nice! take it nice and slow, build up gradually, and you'll soon be putting in some serious distances. And don't run till you *can't* run any further. Stop short of that, walk a little, and start up again. (plus what bubsyh said)

Do some stretching to help with the pain.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nice job! We know the wheels are there, you need to build up your endurance.
  • classic_1
    Options
    scottb81 and redweb...I agree lol thats why I'm gonna do C25K to help me build myself up to it...That first mile was suppose to be a 1.5 mile...I just stopped at the mile haha

nwhitley and mlwatts2...if thats true...then I will most def do my run tomorrow morning.

any advice on pre and post run nutrition or routines?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is moot for the shorter stuff. I do all my runs on an empty stomach or I get crampy. I run marathons on an empty stomach.