Effexor/Venlafaxine

Options

Replies

• Achieveyourdream
    Achieveyourdream Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a few months didn't have any weight issues but my depression got SO much worse and I turned extremely suicidal on it which can happen if your under 25. I have been on a lot of medications for depression but this is defiantly the worst one I have ever been on and I would never go near this medication again.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I gained alot on it but i have bulimia too which obviously is a major problem when the drug causes appetite changes.
    But i see you have stopped using it now, so...
    Hope the next drug youre on suits you more and helps
    charlie
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Skinny Drug for me.

Good Luck.

T
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but I lost my appetite when I started taking Effexor. It's not as bad anymore but I still don't feel very hungry on most days.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was uncomfortably hungry.

I had the willpower to not overeat however I dont believe anyone should be forced to remain hungry even after eating a reasonable amount.

Thank you for your advice.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It shot my blood pressure up in a crazy way. I had a lot of anxiety. i quit taking it.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I've been on it for a couple years and have still been making progress towards my fitness goals.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I took it for 4 month starting in September 2010 after losing 35lbs on a VLCD. I had to go off it in January of 2011 because I started getting spasms/ticks & my resting heart rate was up. I started gaining my weight back after I went off it, but I don't know if that means anything.

ETA The withdrawals were a b*tch! Zapping in the brain was the worst symptom. Took me about a month to 6 weeks to feel normal again.
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    im on effexor! check out my weight loss ticker :P
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Been on this for YEARS!!! No weight gain from the drug. It helped me calm down, think clearly and therefore, control my binges.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 10 years for anxiety. I initially lost my appetite and lost about 7-8 pounds over the first 6 weeks and I didn't have any weight to lose. I'm only on half the dose I used to be, but have maintained my weight within 5-10lbs for all 10 years (with the exception of pregnancies of course!). One thing I feel I must say is DO NOT stop this medication without consulting a doctor first!! The withdrawals are horrendous!! Just missing one dose would cause me to feel like I was in another world.

Whoops, just realized this was an old thread...
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Whoops, just realized this was an old thread...

Was trying to remove my prior post to take some of my personal info off the web. Sorry to bump this again.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've had this drug suggested to me but I cannot begin to imagine taking it. I've cycled through five/six different AD's in the last 10 years and the only one that has worked on a stable(ish) level is Fluoxetine.

Might be worth mentioning that they think my mental disorder may be linked to mood rather than anxiety, so may end up on mood stabilizers.

With fatigue and fear of weight gain my strong advice from a personal perspective is to avoid Mitazepine at all costs. This tablet pretty much made me relapse; I put on two stone in weight, was constantly tired and couldn't get out of bed and my mood swings were horrendous. I was always hungry and irritable and...ugh...it was horrible. I got put on Trazadone afterwards which again, gave me horrendous fatigue but my appetite disappeared rapidly to the extent where after 3 months of being back on Fluoxetine and only 2 months of taking Trazadone, my appetite still hasn't returned back to normal.

It's also worth noting that all tablets work in different ways for different people.

EDIT: Just seen this is an old thread - oh well, if it helps somebody else :)
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    I have been on Effexor for the past several years. First 75 mg 1x/ day, then 75mg 2x/day. Now I am trying to get off it and am down to 50mg 1x/day. I have not had any problems loosing weight.
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    Let me know your plan to get off the Effexor. I field weird and terrible if I just miss a dose and take it late.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    nvm.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I had to get off of it almost cold turkey.
    I was literally falling asleep at stop lights.
    I became entirely useless and could not function much less prepare for exams...
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Thanks hun, that was still VERY useful.

I took fluoxetine years ago and unfortunately it made me suicidal and was discontinued within a couple weeks.
    Since then Ive been on at least 5 others as well...
  • kkarelse
    kkarelse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i WAS JUST SEARCHING AROUND ON THE INTERNET FOR THIS VERY QUESTION AND CAME ACROSS THIS...i HAPPEN TO BE A MEMBER SO i TRUST EVERYONE'S OPINION ON HERE...this IS WHAT HAPPEND FOR ME....I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A SLENDER PERSON...I'M 6 FOOT SO EVERYTHING KIND OF LENGTHENED OUT I THINK HAHAH...I STARTED TAKING EFFEXOR IN NOVEMBER 2011....AS OF TODAY I HAVE GAINED 30 POUNDS....I STILL EAT MY EGG AND TOAST AT BREAKFAST, VEGGIES AT LUNCH AND A LIGHT DINNER (AS I HAVE EVERY DAY OF MY 26 YEARS) ONLY SINCE I HAVE STARTED TAKING THIS PILL HAVE I GAINED THE WEIGHT...AND THAT IS A LOT OF WEIGHT QUICK FOR EATING LIGHT AND EXERCISING AT LEAST 2 TIMES A WEEK....I DON'T KNOW IF IT REALLY IS THE PILLS OR NOT BUT IT SEEMS FISHY TO ME...THUS NOW I'M ON HERE TRACKING EVERYTHING :) ANOTHER THING WITH THIS PILL IS NO MATTER WHAT I DO...EXERCISING MORE OR WHAT HAVE YOU...IT JUST WILL NOT COME OFF....I'M LUCKY TO GET A POUND OFF BEFORE IT'S SMACKED RIGHT BACK ON...AND IT IS ALL IN THE MID SECTION.....I HAVE A LONG WEEKEND THIS WEEKEND SO I'M PLANNING ON GETTING OFF THE PILLS AND SITTING ON THE COUCH WITH A COUPLE GOOD MOVIES BECAUSE THE WITH DRAWLS ARE GOING TO BE CRAP.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In my experience, and I have a lot, with anti-depressants and other psychological drugs, the weight comes on fast. I gained 60 pounds in 2 months on Seroquil and Depakote. I am on a very high dose of Effexor and I'm efficiently losing weight.

Are you sure it's not something else? I would see my doctor before quitting.

I ran out and couldn't refill for over a week and I was a wreck, slid into a bipolar depression cycle in took months to get out of. You have to be really careful when stopping anti-depressants and get weaned off of them, not just quit. You're changing your body chemistry.