How to respond to comments about weight loss

Options
golddogs
golddogs Posts: 42 Member
Strange question.
Recently people are starting to notice my weight loss. What do you say when people comment about it? Most comments are something like "You've lost a lot of weight" or "You've lost weight, haven't you"?
I feel funny saying "Thank you" even though I think most comments are complimentary.
It makes me feel really good that people are noticing my hard work. :smile:
What do you say?

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I usually say somethin like "Im really glad its enough that you noticed!"
    go ahead and be proud! you worked for it
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I smile and say thank you. If they ask me how much sometime I'll tell them. My aunt told me you look like you've lost more than that. I had to stay silent on that one

Accept compliment. You have worked had. Compliments are your reward:flowerforyou:
  • virginiakatie
    Options
    I had my son 4 months ago and people have started saying "you're really shedding that baby weight" and my response has been "thanks, it's hard work"
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I actually was sometimes embarassed when people would notice my weightloss when I shed about 30 pounds two years ago. It's weird...you get so used to how your body is, sometimes you don't realize how different you look!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I always thank them with a huge smile
  • PatB52
    PatB52 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've lost significant amounts of weight in the past and it's always been really rewarding when people notice. I'm waiting for that to happen again. I think in the past I replied "Yes I have. Thank you for noticing."
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I actually hate when people comment on my weight period...i dont know what it is, it makes me angry regardless even if they are saying WOW you look great, i think no i dont, i havent lost weight in FOREVER, i look exactly the same as i did months ago. If i have lost weight i just say thanks ive lost such and such lbs and if i havent i just shake my head and say no i dont look good i look the same, im way overweight...i just get insulted either way i dont know its weird.
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...I hate when people comment on my weight loss. I makes me feel very weird.
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of people notice lately, and I just smile and say thank you! They want to know what I have done so that they can look good too but I feel like I look the same.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite...I wait, and wait...and wait for people to say something like that, and if they don't, I'm like, "You know...I've lost over 20 pounds." THEN they respond with, "Yes, you can really tell too! How did you do it?" Then I tell them about MFP. :smile:
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the comments actually. They make me wonder how fat am I really that a nice thing to say to me is that I've lost weight. Is that all that people really focus on, how fat I was or am? How about, nice hair? Or, I like your outfit. Oh no, it's always about my weight. :mad:
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I'm more like BrendaLee :happy: . I have a bright smile and eyes so that's usually the first thing people notice about me. It does get a little frustrating when people can't see a difference but if/when they do I just say, "Thanks" and smile at them. If they ask questions just tell them that you're working on eating healthy meals, working out and enjoying the body God gave you! :smile:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say "You've lost a ton of weight." I'm sure it's just me being too sensitive, but I just think that sounds rude. It makes me think to myself "Thanks, you just insinuated that I look like I weigh 2,000 pounds!"

Edited to add: That's not to say that I don't love it when people notice! :love:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I always thank them with a huge smile

I do the same thing! I am COMPLETELY THRILLED with the weight that I've lost, so I LOVE IT when people notice and say something! :happy: I usually say "45 pounds, and I did it with a free website." And then of course they ask all about it, and I tell them just how fantastic MFP is! :love: :happy:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I usually give that person a big hug and say "I LOVE YOU!!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really did do that to a girl at work!!!!

I get upset on the inside when no one notices. So when they do notice it feels really really really good.

But that's just me!

Memaw
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    People just usually say to me that I am looking really good. Most don't specifically ask how much I have lost. My aunt said to me the other day that I was looking so awesome, and I volunteered the "it is amazing what 62lbs down can do" :happy:

They usually mean well and I take it that way and say thank you :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

What??? Too conceited??:laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

No really............I LOVE IT!! I have worked so hard to lose it and keep it off. My health is apparent and I love it.

My favorite compliment to date was "Oooh, what are you eating? You always eat so healthy and I try to bring what you bring for lunch!" :noway:

Me? I used to eat 2 hotdogs with cheese sauce and fries.

Now I had carrots with hummus and triscuits with low fat ched cheese (1oz)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

LOL, I hear you! When I ask my husband every night if he's locked the doors, I also add "I'm hot you know, don't want anyone coming in to get me!"!!! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

LOL, I hear you! When I ask my husband every night if he's locked the doors, I also add "I'm hot you know, don't want anyone coming in to get me!"!!! :laugh:

^5!:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!