How to respond to comments about weight loss

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    I smile like a five year old on christmas morning and say yes I have tell them how much and how much more I am going to lose! then I say I owe it all to Myfitnesspal.com. Lots of people want to do it but dont know how, they want on the band wagon! Invite them! If they tell me I am getting to thin, I smile and say, my mirror doesn't think so! then I laugh. I just say I really want to be healthy and happy. Living a good long life is important to me!
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

What??? Too conceited??:laugh: :laugh:

LOL, I hear you! When I ask my husband every night if he's locked the doors, I also add "I'm hot you know, don't want anyone coming in to get me!"!!! :laugh:

HAHA!!!! I'll do that one tonight :blushing:
  • czewwhat
    I hate it when people say "You've lost a ton of weight." I'm sure it's just me being too sensitive, but I just think that sounds rude. It makes me think to myself "Thanks, you just insinuated that I look like I weigh 2,000 pounds!"

Edited to add: That's not to say that I don't love it when people notice! :love:

I think you are being sensitive! when someone says you are so pretty today, are you thinking, wow was I ugly yesterday! give yourself a pep talk and get happy your hard work is paying off!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I'm simple I don't thrive on the compliments or comments and I also don't care if I get them.

When I do I say thank you I am a work in progress.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I always thank them and tell them I've worked hard at it. I don't want anyone thinking I took some magic pill or something. I do sometimes also mention that I have a few more pounds to lose too.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I hate it when people say "You've lost a ton of weight." I'm sure it's just me being too sensitive, but I just think that sounds rude. It makes me think to myself "Thanks, you just insinuated that I look like I weigh 2,000 pounds!"

Edited to add: That's not to say that I don't love it when people notice! :love:
    Most of the comments I have received have been positive, but I have received 2 that I thought were weird, "You look like you've lost half a person," and "everything about you looks different (then she started listing things) and says, everything looks different, even your eyes." I'm thinking WTH? My eyes? Really? What's different about my eyes? Someone on here suggested that cheeks get smaller and maybe it makes the eyes look bigger. :laugh: :laugh: I laughed about it for days!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    " Thank you, I am hot!"

What??? Too conceited??:laugh: :laugh:

LOL, I hear you! When I ask my husband every night if he's locked the doors, I also add "I'm hot you know, don't want anyone coming in to get me!"!!! :laugh:
    I'm stealing your line! :tongue:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    "everything about you looks different (then she started listing things) and says, everything looks different, even your eyes." I'm thinking WTH? My eyes? Really? What's different about my eyes? Someone on here suggested that cheeks get smaller and maybe it makes the eyes look bigger. :laugh: :laugh: I laughed about it for days!

:laugh:
    That's funny. But when I'm not eating healthy, my face is puffy & my eyes disappear. I look all squenchy.
    :bigsmile:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    lol most of the people i know wont say a word to me anymore....im vicious when it comes to my weight lol...my bf says its pointless maybe thats why he just calls me fat now :laugh: :laugh: every time he'd say something i'd be really ungreatful for the compliment and just say i still have quite a bit of weight to lose and toning to do....lol i do it instinctively but now i kinda wish someone would say something :laugh: :laugh: i just cant make up my mind i guess:laugh: :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member

I think you are being sensitive! when someone says you are so pretty today, are you thinking, wow was I ugly yesterday! give yourself a pep talk and get happy your hard work is paying off!

:laugh: Yes, I would think that inwardly! But I would be really happy and accept the compliment graciously! It's a hard habit to break, but I am breaking it!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    I used to get negative comments about my weight loss - Oh, you're losing too much weight! - from people who themselves are overweight. This, even though I was well into the healthy weight range. I don't think it's appropriate to comment on someone else's body.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

:laugh: Yes, I would think that inwardly! But I would be really happy and accept the compliment graciously! It's a hard habit to break, but I am breaking it!

I love when someone approaches you at work and says " Aah, Are you sick today?"

:noway: " Uh NO do I look like hell???":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I always tell them Yes Allergies but think................man I feel FINE........dang I gotta get a tan:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    "everything about you looks different (then she started listing things) and says, everything looks different, even your eyes." I'm thinking WTH? My eyes? Really? What's different about my eyes? Someone on here suggested that cheeks get smaller and maybe it makes the eyes look bigger. :laugh: :laugh: I laughed about it for days!

:laugh:
    That's funny. But when I'm not eating healthy, my face is puffy & my eyes disappear. I look all squenchy.
    :bigsmile:

I remember after hitting the 30 pound mark I was putting on makeup and noticed my eyes look weird to me. I asked DH, he shrugged. DD said Mom your cheeks arent mushing your eyes anymore.......remember when your eyes were round? they are again:laugh: :laugh:
  • czewwhat

Back in my beauty queen days a coordinator told all of the contestants a secret I have carried my whole life. It really works. Whenever we were to go across the stage and we were nervous she told us to smile and start thinking " I am beautiful, I have a secret, and Someone loves me." Say this to yourself all the time. I promise it gets you out of the "I am not worthy funk" and resets your mindset to the positive. Losing weight is not easy, if it were none of us would be over weight. but it is possible! I am living proof of that! So put on your imaginary tiara and think with me, " I am beautiful, I have a secret, and Someone loves me."
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    it depends what they say, I have gotten the " you have lost a TON of weight " and to that I say, not a ton, but yes, quite a bit, lol.

I usually say thank you very much. And they say " I bet you feel great" This one I am not sure how to answer, yes I feel amazing, Wonderful beautiful , but it makes me feel like they think I must have felt like complete crap before.
    Yesterday a girl I havent seen all summer came into the store and gave me the biggest hug, and told me I was " Beautiful, MOVIE STAR BEAUTIFUL" .. I didnt know how to respond to that! LOL
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    I really appreciated it at the beginning of my weight loss, made me feel like my hard work was paying off. But I've been in maintenance for over a year now, just martial arts and weights, and people are saying things to me like, "you can stop trying so hard now, you're skinny enough". (( I have lost some more inches but not any weight, in fact I gained some)) Or when I say no thank you to a glazed donut or mcdonalds lunch because I am on clean diet they think I it's still a "diet".
    The comments are not always compliments, and it makes me uncomfortable. To the real compliments from people that are well intentioned I smile and say thank you, I worked really hard for a long time...
    ~M~
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I always thank them and tell them I've worked hard at it. I don't want anyone thinking I took some magic pill or something. I do sometimes also mention that I have a few more pounds to lose too.

I say pretty much the same thing, and when people ask me how I manage to find time to exercise, I tell them that being a mom is no excuse to let yourself go.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    People always seem to tell me I've lost weight... After I've gained!:sad: :sad:

I have no idea how this works.
  • czewwhat
    It is kind of the social funeral. What do you really say? "Wow the old fat you is dead, the new healthy you looks great!" :laugh: :laugh: Even the" Look at you!" could be negative or positive. Think positive, positive things happen!

Most people just don't know what to say, I take over and tell them all about MFP I tell them I am eating healthy exercising and feel better than I have felt in years.

When the "Okay, you can stop now" comments happen, I smile and say, why would I quit on myself! I want to live to be 108 like my great great grandmother! I love myself to much to go back to how bad and unhealthy I felt before! I promise you they will shut up with the negative comments. just don't let your response be negative. We are a fat country and more people want to know how you did it, and just don't know how to ask. Who knows how many lives you could change! Let your light shine, shine, shine!

I don't know how many people ask me, "what is the name of that web site?" They want to know too, just can't figure out how to ask.
  • arewethereyet
    People always seem to tell me I've lost weight... After I've gained!:sad: :sad:

I have no idea how this works.

I look completely different at 136 now than I did at 136 10 years ago. Why? Because I am working out. The shape is different. Also, I am drinking water and not so much processed and sodium laced foods so my face looks thinner.

You look different because you look better:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!