How to get your man to workout?

Options
124»

Replies

• RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    my good friend is in the same boat. She is totally fit and a little siren. He on the other hand is aging and doesnt workout at all. She is seriously considering leaving him over this. She doesn't find him attractive anymore and he gets mad when she brings up working out.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Go see the movie Magic Mike with your girlfriends and then talk a lot about how awesome Channing Tatum looks.
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Two things real quick.

1st. How did the last 20 or so posters miss this little nugget?
    I have the same problem with my husband. Appearances have become an issue, but I'm more concerned about his health than anything else as he is significantly overweight. He keeps thinking that bariatric surgery will be the cure all and in the meantime he can sit on his butt and eat whatever he wants. He loves junk food, fast food and HATES to exercise. However, last night I suggested he accompany my son and I on a walk and he joined in. We walked for about an hour, so I know he got a decent workout in for his size and I rewarded him with oral sex. I asked him if BJs were promised, if he would walk with me 4 times a week and he said "hell yes". I know, it sounds kind of bad, but I bet you can ask any guy and if a BJ is involved, they'll probably do just about anything. Maybe it'll work for you. Sorry if it's TMI.

2nd. As a fat husband of a work-out fiend wife, I can definatley relate to your DH. For me, I had to finally realize that it was (again) time to get on the fittness horse. The best thing my wife did for me was to lead by example. She gets up early every morning and works out. She goes out and walks/runs/bikes around the neighborhood in the evenings most times. Each time, asking me to join her. Most importantly she fills the house w/ healthy food. Also, we have two small boys and I'm sure she tells them to poke my belly and laugh. That helps.

Good luck and he'll come around. There's been a lot of good advice in previous posts.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    well I had no intention of getting my hubby to workout but I just purchased a free weight bench (for me) and a heavy bag (again for me) and guess hoom decideds everytime I go out to use them should join me lol yep hubby. So maybe get some at home items and workout in front of him and then he`ll get interested :)

I as a stay at home mom/wife also cook all the meals and pack his work lunchs so I know what he is eatting already
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's "wrong" for you to feel that way....but, it isn't up to you whether or not he works out. If he doesn't have a drive to do it, he'll either quit, or resent you. I love the woman that said she's trading *kitten* for walks....that's a GREAT idea! See if there are things that you enjoy doing together...tennis, basketball, walking, hiking, etc....then maybe he won't look at it as "exercise", but as spending time with his hot wife!

Good luck!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my wife
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    "like" something on fb -- for instance sexy firemen or something of the sort and thumbs up/comment on the hot buff mens pics LOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love my hubby, and he is my best friend. I wish he cared about his appearance. It would really be nice if he was into working out. I work hard to stay in shape and would like a little eye candy for me, too. Is it wrong for me to feel this way, and how can I get him to care?

Sorry, the "appearance" bit strikes me as a bit shallow, how about his health?

I'm going to assume he's at least a couple of years older than you? Just have him read a few of the fairly well documented articles on the effects of exercise and increased libido :wink:
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That didn't work with my wife. I actually took a sexy picture of an woman placed it on the desktop of my laptop so she would see it when it is turned on and she says it's ugly. I am starting to think something is wrong.
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    That didn't work with my wife. I actually took a sexy picture of an woman placed it on the desktop of my laptop so she would see it when it is turned on and she says it's ugly. I am starting to think something is wrong.

I don't think the photo things work with the ladies like it works with the fellas. I think your LW is pi$$ed at you, not motivated to get in shape.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXvFxIQnSJBE2ZO7AlLvll2RlqN5mgDHXWNEpT0v55XUcUJ2ZN
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love my hubby, and he is my best friend. I wish he cared about his appearance. It would really be nice if he was into working out. I work hard to stay in shape and would like a little eye candy for me, too. Is it wrong for me to feel this way, and how can I get him to care?

Sorry, the "appearance" bit strikes me as a bit shallow, how about his health?

I'm going to assume he's at least a couple of years older than you? Just have him read a few of the fairly well documented articles on the effects of exercise and increased libido :wink:
    Don't mean to sound shallow... As I said I love my husband! I am an RN, and his health is top concern for me. As far as the appearance he is a mechanic which means I have NEVER seen his hands completely clean, he doesn't get a haircut until about two months overdue, doesn't mind wearing shirts with 4 or 5 holes right in front, tries to wear grease-stained white socks with Sperry-type b oat shoes and glowing white legs. Get it??? But I love him dearly for 1000 other reasons as I said.

And no, he is 11 days younger than me, but just about 15 years older than me as far as physical condition.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    I had that same problem with my hubby. Over the past 2 years I started working out for the first time and lost over 50 pounds. About 6 months ago I sat down and had a very serious conversation with him. Some points I made to him...

1. The older you get, the harder it will be to lose the weight.
    2. We have 2 little boys... you want them to grow up with an overweight father or a role model who is fit and in shape?
    3. I had lost weight, not only for myself, but for him too.... time in the bedroom can and will be much better! :)
    4. Fewer health problems by losing weight.
    5. You will feel much better about youself and gain so much confidence.

Other than being a great role model, the best thing you can do for him is communicate. Tell him EXACTLY how you feel and find out how he feels on the subject. Communication is key!
    Thanks for the post. This is pretty much what I am doing. I just need to continue to press on and be patient. Good sound advice.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    Two things real quick.

1st. How did the last 20 or so posters miss this little nugget?
    I have the same problem with my husband. Appearances have become an issue, but I'm more concerned about his health than anything else as he is significantly overweight. He keeps thinking that bariatric surgery will be the cure all and in the meantime he can sit on his butt and eat whatever he wants. He loves junk food, fast food and HATES to exercise. However, last night I suggested he accompany my son and I on a walk and he joined in. We walked for about an hour, so I know he got a decent workout in for his size and I rewarded him with oral sex. I asked him if BJs were promised, if he would walk with me 4 times a week and he said "hell yes". I know, it sounds kind of bad, but I bet you can ask any guy and if a BJ is involved, they'll probably do just about anything. Maybe it'll work for you. Sorry if it's TMI.

2nd. As a fat husband of a work-out fiend wife, I can definatley relate to your DH. For me, I had to finally realize that it was (again) time to get on the fittness horse. The best thing my wife did for me was to lead by example. She gets up early every morning and works out. She goes out and walks/runs/bikes around the neighborhood in the evenings most times. Each time, asking me to join her. Most importantly she fills the house w/ healthy food. Also, we have two small boys and I'm sure she tells them to poke my belly and laugh. That helps.

Good luck and he'll come around. There's been a lot of good advice in previous posts.
    No:lol. No, I did not miss that post. I just prefer not to use sex as a manipulation tool. It does not work for me. It is fine for others if it works for them. It tends to make sex less fun and more of a chore. Then I get confused about why I am doing it in the first place. Am I doing it because I want to or to try and get something. I like to do it because I want to... not have to.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I don't think the photo things work with the ladies like it works with the fellas. I think your LW is pi$$ed at you, not motivated to get in shape.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXvFxIQnSJBE2ZO7AlLvll2RlqN5mgDHXWNEpT0v55XUcUJ2ZN

Yup, I would be more mad than motivated.