whats your favourite book /character

Options
i love reading especially a good series of books but my favourite of all time is the reacher books by lee child
JACK REACHER

Name: Jack Reacher (no middle name)
Born: October 29th
Measurements: 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest
Hair: Dirty-blond
Eyes: Ice blue
Clothing: 3XLT coat, 95 cm. pants' inseam
in my minds eye he is the perfect man lol
the second best books are the charlie parker series of books by john connelly
charlie parker is a ex cop become private dectective and although they are gruesome in parts also quite funny as he as 2 hired assasins a big black guy called louis and is partner in more ways than one angel makes for really good reading :smile: :smile:

Replies

• brightpebbles89
    brightpebbles89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have read one or two lee child books, i cant say i have herd of the one you mentioned, but i did like the ones i read :)
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Killing Floor (1997

Die Trying (1998
    Tripwire (1999)
    Running Blind (known as The Visitor in the UK) (2000)
    Echo Burning (2001)
    Without Fail (2002
    Persuader (2003)
    The Enemy (2004)
    One Shot (2005
    The Hard Way (2006)
    Bad Luck and Trouble (2007, ISBN 0-385-34055-9) Shortlisted for Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award, 2009[14]
    Nothing To Lose (2008)
    Gone Tomorrow (2009)
    61 Hours (2010), winner, Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award, 2011
    Worth Dying For (2010)
    The Affair (2011)
    A Wanted Man (2012)
    [edit] 17 books in all
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh Yeah, Jack Reacher is dead cool, haha! Got quite a few books and audiobooks.

However, I'm afraid I won't be able to go and watch the movie - I'm so gutted they picked Tom Cruise to be Reacher! Unbelievable! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
  • brightpebbles89
    brightpebbles89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    haha so i can see you might have read a few then :P
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Oh Yeah, Jack Reacher is dead cool, haha! Got quite a few books and audiobooks.

However, I'm afraid I won't be able to go and watch the movie - I'm so gutted they picked Tom Cruise to be Reacher! Unbelievable! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
    don,t get me started on that its absoloutly ridiculous i hate tom cruise he can never be reacher ill find a good pic of reacher lo[img]lhttps://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrcfgTJxuHYoFWi2WEib6t6tucWBatGSrUdxaeYG-TDPchwJWXrg[/img] how bout this
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Blood Meridian, by Cormac MacCarthy.

Character: Judge Holden
    Description: Enormous and hairless, a brutal killer, philosopher, god-like, but very much mortal. The epitome of extreme violence that inhabits a part of every man's soul.

Quite frankly, I doubt Jack Reacher would last 5 minutes with the guy... :-)

--P
  • stephvaile
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrcfgTJxuHYoFWi2WEib6t6tucWBatGSrUdxaeYG-TDPchwJWXrg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9Ou60ZU5ZDpB6Tb_tOfIVNhKQ2AySgl5bgpbZo8sFO1Aac7Ek0w
  • stephvaile
    Options

Description: Enormous and hairless, a brutal killer, philosopher, god-like, but very much mortal. The epitome of extreme violence that inhabits a part of every man's soul.

Quite frankly, I doubt Jack Reacher would last 5 minutes with the guy... :-)

--P
    lolhow many in series or is it just 1 book jacks a hero not a brutal killer although one blow and your gone lol
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options

I am intrigued.....
  • stephvaile
    Options

I am intrigued.....
    i have just googled him and he is a real historical person who killed in the 19th cent gruesome lol
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, because the character is very much hard to love, but Bukowski's Henry Chinaski character in a lot of his books.

Also, both the Hap and Leonard characters in Joe R. Lansdale books. They are layered, interesting and flawed.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    " shantram" by Gregory David Roberts. The story of an escaped convict who breaks out of prison and goes on the run to India , where he lives in a Mumbai slum, becomes the slim doctor, falls in love, joins the Bombay mafia, fights the soviets in Afghanistan and makes a Bollywood movie. Scarey thing is, much of it is TRUE.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    " shantram" by Gregory David Roberts. The story of an escaped convict who breaks out of prison and goes on the run to India , where he lives in a Mumbai slum, becomes the slim doctor, falls in love, joins the Bombay mafia, fights the soviets in Afghanistan and makes a Bollywood movie. Scarey thing is, much of it is TRUE.
    oh my he,s a very busy character lol:laugh:
  • p0stdramatic
    p0stdramatic Posts: 372
    Options
    A Song of Ice and Fire series... Jon Snow.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    The Dark Tower series by Stephen King....Roland Deschain in my all time favorite character.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I don't know why, because the character is very much hard to love, but Bukowski's Henry Chinaski character in a lot of his books.
    [/quote

Love Bukowski. Post Office is a classic. Great pick.

--P
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Zeddicus "Zedd" Zu'l Zorander - Wizard of the First Order, Namer of the Seeker of Truth, Guardian of the Sword of Truth.

From "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.

Or

Matrim "Mat" Cauthon - Son of Battles, Wielder of Ashandarei, Prince of the Ravens.

From "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A Song of Ice and Fire series... Jon Snow.

Love Jon, but Tryion has all the funny lines.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

I am intrigued.....

It's been named to many "Best of" lists. McCarthy (sorry, misspelled in my original post) is arguably the best living American writer. Blood Meridian is, in my opinion, his best but also probably his darkest work (and he specializes in very dark novels).

If you're a reader, and haven't yet tried anything by McCarthy, I would start with All the Pretty Horses. Don't let the title fool you, it's very much an adult book. The prose is amazing.

After that, Blood Meridian. But again, it's an incredibly dark and violent work. It's doesn't white wash life in the western US in the 19th century, where the law was de facto unenforceable and there existed few limits on excess, other than the tenuous morality that exists within all of us. But a man's morale absolutes can also be his weaknesses. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

--P