Cleaning!?

Options
I read yesterday that someone burned calories cleaning. Now I know that we burn calories evertime that we even move but should we be counting cleaning as a way to burn calories because I do that everyday for at least an hour or two a day (I have two kids). I just kind of thought that was normal every day calorie burning. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Replies

• Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to? If it's sedentary, you can add it, but otherwise it's already added to your daily calorie allotment.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Where do you draw the line? Typing? Reaching for the remote? Cutting a slice of cake?

If your heart rate raises to 65% of your maximum then I would consider it exercise. i.e slightly out of breath but still able to hold a conversation

That's never happened to me whilst cleaning - maybe I don't put enough into it!
  • omlax24
    omlax24 Posts: 31
    Options
    yeah I dont count cleaning cause I figure thats just part of my everyday
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't count it unless I was going to do something utterly drastic like clean out my attic.... but I probably wouldnt return from that
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    nah, definately not...it depends if u sweat your *kitten* off though
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    y profile is set to sedentary, so when I do my hoovering/mopping etc, and it works up a sweat, I log it, but I don't log general tidying/food prep etc.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to? If it's sedentary, you can add it, but otherwise it's already added to your daily calorie allotment.

This.

I was here last year. Counted cleaning as exercise, and ate the calories. Lost 30 pounds. When I left, making sure I stayed moving by keeping the house clean is part of what helped me keep the weight off.

I hate the rationale that "I did that when I was fat, so obviously it didn't help me lose weight." That gets thrown around a lot. But you know what? Some "fat people" run every day, or go to the gym and do aerobics, or swim, or all kinds of things that are "real" exercise. They don't lose weight because they're still eating more than they burn. It has nothing to do with the type of movement. Moving burns calories, regardless of how you're moving, so as long as you're eating less than your total burn, you'll lose.

I personally have some "rules" about cleaning calories. I only count things like vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, mopping the floors, stuff that is actually moving. I usually don't log the entire time I'm working, because I feel that the MFP numbers are a little high for me. But that's me. You can count them if you want, or don't if you don't. See what works for you. If you're having success and feeling good without logging that stuff, then don't. If you log it and it seems to give you too many calories to reach your goals, then stop logging it, or change the way you log it.
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    My activity level is set at lightly active. I am usually cleaning the house all day picking up toys, putting away laundry etc. Maybe the person who posted it did a hardcore cleaning session scrubbing their whole house. I was just curious about it because it does seem like something that would be counted as everyday calories but I guess if their activity level was set to sedentary then it would make sense for them to count it. I didn't really think of it like that.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    nah, definately not...it depends if u sweat your *kitten* off though

That's kinda what I said - but more succinctly!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I only record it if I break a sweat and my heart rate rises. So, occasionally (like when I help my hubs clean out the garage or scrub the bathroom/floors... but not when I am dusting or washing dishes).
  • samandlucysmum
    Options

This.

I was here last year. Counted cleaning as exercise, and ate the calories. Lost 30 pounds. When I left, making sure I stayed moving by keeping the house clean is part of what helped me keep the weight off.

I hate the rationale that "I did that when I was fat, so obviously it didn't help me lose weight." That gets thrown around a lot. But you know what? Some "fat people" run every day, or go to the gym and do aerobics, or swim, or all kinds of things that are "real" exercise. They don't lose weight because they're still eating more than they burn. It has nothing to do with the type of movement. Moving burns calories, regardless of how you're moving, so as long as you're eating less than your total burn, you'll lose.

I personally have some "rules" about cleaning calories. I only count things like vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, mopping the floors, stuff that is actually moving. I usually don't log the entire time I'm working, because I feel that the MFP numbers are a little high for me. But that's me. You can count them if you want, or don't if you don't. See what works for you. If you're having success and feeling good without logging that stuff, then don't. If you log it and it seems to give you too many calories to reach your goals, then stop logging it, or change the way you log it.

Perfectly put.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    My activity level is set at lightly active. I am usually cleaning the house all day picking up toys, putting away laundry etc. Maybe the person who posted it did a hardcore cleaning session scrubbing their whole house. I was just curious about it because it does seem like something that would be counted as everyday calories but I guess if their activity level was set to sedentary then it would make sense for them to count it. I didn't really think of it like that.

If your activity level is set to lightly active, I wouldn't log it. Being on your feet most of the day is already accounted for in your activity level. I only log mine because I set mine to sedentary.
  • Teirza
    Teirza Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I count it if I do something like move all the furniture out and steam clean the carpet. I am currently stripping wallpaper so sometimes i give myself a little but of cleaning cals on that one.

When I first started, I did log my cleaning calories from everything from vacuuming to dusting (we have 12 foot ceilings and i climb on things to reach) but that was because before I didn't do much to either burn calories or clean my house. As both became a regular daily activity I quit logging my cleaning cals.

I found out yesterday that you can log playing guitar in folk style while sitting. I think that's a little silly. Perhaps you can log pen tapping at that rate. You just kind of need to use a little common sense.
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    I guess if your heartrate goes up when you clean then it would be understandable to add it as a calorie burning activity.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I do when I clean my own room, cause I only do it usually during school holidays and therefore it takes some 5+ hours. I also dance around to music whilst cleaning and do jumping jacks randomly to keep the heart rate up.I use my HRM and it reacons I burn a lot of calories so sure why not?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate doing dishes so I count it if I have a lot to do, but not if I only have a few to do. I count 15 minutes or more, as it motivates me to actually do them.
  • rozie0310
    rozie0310 Posts: 4
    Options
    My daily upkeep I do not log. But for instance, Friday, I spent 2.5 hours cleaning house top to bottom, doing the things that get put off. I always log those big cleaning sessions. I wore my heart rate monitor and it calculated 713 calories. Now tonight when I get home and cook dinner, tidy each room, clean the kitchen, chase the kids around, I will not log that.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    ... as it motivates me to actually do them.

:laugh: And THIS is exactly why I set my profile to sedentary. So I could log cleaning calories, which would in turn motivate me to clean more. :laugh: Worked too! My house looks fantastic these days, and so do I, if I do say so myself. :tongue:
  • nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    Options
    I log heavy cleaning - mopping, vacuuming all three floors, scrubbing bathrooms - and also log gardening if I break a sweat by replanting, mowing the lawn, raking. I don't count the normal putting things away ( a constant with two teens) or the light weeding as I am walking in the house. If I get dirty - I have worked hard. I set my activity to sedentary and figure any movement is better than no movement and sometimes cleaning is my exercise. Today we are slated for strong thunderstorms all day so I will do a tape at some point but also spend the day indoors cleaning the attic. That will count! I also set my exercise level to sedentary and use logging all my activity as a motivator. If I plateau I will have to adjust.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to sedentary and on a Saturday I clean a 4 bedroom/4 bathroom house in one fell swoop so yes, I count it when I'm on my hands and knees, climbing up on ladders to clean windows, brushing hair out the carpet and lugging the hoover up and down 3 flights of stairs. I don't, however, count the little odd jobs that I carry out during the week,

This topic has been covered so many times, you could search the forums for the 1000 other posts that have been made about this same "issue".

Does it affect you? Are their cleaning habits going to affect the calories you can or can't eat or the weight you've lost/going to lose? I understand the reasons on both sides of the coin but what I don't get is why people make other peoples' choices their business.