Cleaning!?

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I figure I got fat while cleaning my house...cleaning is not some new activity I just picked up LOL. I've been doing it all along the way I picked up 100 extra pounds. I don't count it as exercise, at all.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You clean everyday for an hour or two??? How big is your house?

I never clean, unless you count loading and unloading the dishwasher and laundry.

I cannot do it. I have to pay someone to come in 2 hours a week to help me or it would just become squalid.

and I don't understand people who vacuum everyday, weird.

so yeah, if I actually did some cleaning I'd log it.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

and I don't understand people who vacuum everyday, weird.

I vacuum *almost* every day. Because I have small children who like to eat toast. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't do it. I used to be a twice-a-month vacuumer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I log extreme cleaning, not normal housekeeping. If I have to move couches and televisions and book cases... I'm logging it. If I'm just doing dishes and running the sweeper, nope. I will log yard work and snow shoveling.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t add it. in my opinion if you aren’t breaking a sweat and maintaining that sweat for 30 mins or more its not really an activity thats going to make too much of a difference.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I logged cleaning the house yesterday morning, I was running up and down stairs, from basement to second story. It was deep cleaning, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the bathrooms, floors to ceiling, tubs included. I was running laundry up and down stairs. This was my first time logging cleaning, i logged about 1/3 of the time because I wanted to be conservative.

I don't normally log the little stuff, like someone else said, tidying the kitchen and the kids toys at the end of the day. But yesterday I was busting my butt to get the house ready for company.
    My daily upkeep I do not log. But for instance, Friday, I spent 2.5 hours cleaning house top to bottom, doing the things that get put off. I always log those big cleaning sessions. I wore my heart rate monitor and it calculated 713 calories. Now tonight when I get home and cook dinner, tidy each room, clean the kitchen, chase the kids around, I will not log that.
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't log average everyday cleaning, only things that I would not be typically doing in an average week. Right now I am logging a lot of cleaning hour because we are remodeling. Mudding and sanding drywall is definitely an additional calorie expenditure.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't ever add my everyday life stuff. Only true exercise, at least for me. I walk my dog up to 5 times a day for 30 minutes. That never gets logged. Only exercise that I truly get sweaty for. I don't always log my weight training either.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When I do heavy, intensive cleaning (like overhauling my kids' room) I log it. But I log it as light cleaning to avoid overestimating. I don't log most day-to-day cleaning, just the hard stuff. Looking at my log, you wouldn't see it that way though.
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If i am cleaning my showers, ( three bathrooms) and i mean top to bottom by hand.or sweeping and moping my floors....it takes me 30-45 mins...constant movement..I count that...
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options
    I clean my house on a daily basis I do not count that as exercise. I do however when I do a thorough job of cleaning which is every Thursday and Friday I wear my HRM and clean I keep my HR in the target zone and I do break a sweat as I am running up and down the stairs and constantly moving for over an hour. To each his own I suppose but if I am sweating and staying within my THRZ then I deserve to log that as exercise :smile:
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    If I break a sweat because I'm moving furniture, crawling around scrubbing, or whatever, I log it, but I only record 1/3 of the time I spend doing it. Sometimes I skip it altogether because I figure cleaning IS part of a sedentary lifestyle. Everyone cleans.

Folding laundry, though? Never. I always side-eye that one when it pops up in my feed. If you're going up and down the stairs for a half-hour putting it away, okay. But just standing or sitting there folding towels? Nope.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't clean everyday so when I do...its a really good workout. (plus my activity level is set to sedentary)
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to? If it's sedentary, you can add it, but otherwise it's already added to your daily calorie allotment.

^^^^^^^THIS!
  • mzkezh
    mzkezh Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm a mom of 2 boys and clean everyday as well, I dont log those calories (everyday normal activity), but once or twice a week (1 week day and or 1 weekend day) I heavy clean where I mop, dust, move furniture, laundry, change sheet etc......; I do log those calories because I do that nonstop for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am set to sendentary so I log "extreme cleaning" .. things I consider extreme:
    1. Scrubbing and bleaching basement floor
    2. Powerwashing desk.
    3. Painting
    4. Hand and Knee scrubbing of floors
    5. Scrubbing shower, tub, toilets by hand.

Not considered extreme
    1. Vaccuming
    2. mopping
    3. dusting

I also log only have the calories or time it gives me.... and I only eat about 1/2 calories that gives me..
    so 25% of what it gives to me.

So far I am happy with the results...
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Some things on this are to much. I do not log every singe activity I do. My rule of thumb, if it does not feel like excercise, its not burning like excercise.

I strength train three nights a week which involves a lot of lifting. I only count half my time. I did yard work yesterday, mowing grass, planted flowers, etc. I did not count that.

If I play softball or something like that, then I count it.....
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options

Does it affect you? Are their cleaning habits going to affect the calories you can or can't eat or the weight you've lost/going to lose? I understand the reasons on both sides of the coin but what I don't get is why people make other peoples' choices their business.

I was just curious as to whether or not I should add it to my exercise log. I don't have an "issue" with it. I merely wanted to know if that's something I should be doing or not. What other people do to lose weight is their business I just want advice. I want to know about whatever will help me with my weightloss goals.
  • bpetlock
    Options
    BTW Everyone's comments have been very helpful to me. I just want you to know that this post was never meant to make anyone feel badly about the things that they track as their exercise, I just wanted to know for myself whether or not I should count it because I do it all of the time. I don't constantly do rigorous cleaning but the post didn't say that the person did "rigorous cleaning" it just said "cleaning". So I just wanted to put that out there. I was curious.
  • bpetlock
    Options
    ... as it motivates me to actually do them.

:laugh: And THIS is exactly why I set my profile to sedentary. So I could log cleaning calories, which would in turn motivate me to clean more. :laugh: Worked too! My house looks fantastic these days, and so do I, if I do say so myself. :tongue:

Maybe I should do it for that reason too. I mean I clean all of the time but my house isn't exactly spotless if you know what I mean :wink: It could be a weightloss motivator and a house cleaning motivator.:tongue: