Exercising with small children in the house

Options
13»

Replies

• jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    With my kids, I wouldn't workout with them in the room. They'd get in my way too much and I'd end up stepping on one of them! LOL I workout when they go to bed. But if they would cooperate with you, go for it!! :)
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with the kids in the room. They'll hang with me for about 10 minutes before they get bored. I have better success having them play quietly in their room until I'm finished. Or give them a snack and have them sit at the table to eat it.

This. My kids are 5.5 and 2.5 and I've been doing it this way for years now. They are so used to it that it's become a habit for them now. They don't bug me as much, and I always have their drinks, snack, and show ready to go when I am. I also will do an "extra" workout with them sometimes (like dancing, or letting them play with their small weights or my stability ball) and that keeps them thinking they are part of it all.
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I ended up not doing it as when I got home they were very tired after a busy day with grandma so all they wanted to do was snuggle with me. And now I have a full belly from a lovely dinner and we are watching a film. I'm going to do the 30ds in the morning after the nursery drop off and before I log on to work. Also running with a friend tomorrow evening so I don't feel too bad for having a day off :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    my first daughter was 3 when I first completed Insanity. At first, it was a pain to make sure she was a safe distance, but pretty quickly she realized where to stand and where not, and would jump around with me till she got bored with it. It's just like anything else with kids. You have to repeat it a few times before they get it, and then maybe remind them once or twice every so often.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There's just no way I could exercise with the children in the house. They would want to come in and join in and the tv room is also their play room, and is barely big enough for me to exercise in, no way I could do it with them in there as well, and they don't do what they are told and follow me around like ducklings every waking moment even at 4 and 6, so it just isn't possible. Occasionally I have done it after they are in bed.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I work out in front of my 4 yr old. I started when she was 3.... There have been a few times I shouted at her in the middle of my workout to get out of the way before I kick her, but she gets it now!

I'm glad she sees me workout actually, it has made her more aware of exercising and taking care of your health. She now expresses interest in healthy eating & exercising. I love it.
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wasn't enjoying the film so instead of talking to people on the Internet about exercising I figured why not just get off your *kitten* and do it. So I did. 30ds level 1 done.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I wasn't enjoying the film so instead of talking to people on the Internet about exercising I figured why not just get off your *kitten* and do it. So I did. 30ds level 1 done.

Way to go.