how the heck do i say under my sugar goal??

Options
124»

Replies

• SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit is for added sugar, not naturally occurring sugars in produce.
    Sorry, but sugar is sugar....

Actually, this is not true. Table sugar is sucrose, fruit sugar is fructose. These are not the same, and your body processes them differently. Check out this article on Livestrong.com.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/546655-does-the-body-process-fruit-sugars-the-same-way-that-it-does-refined-sugar/
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Switch to sugar-free jam and low-sugar fruits like berries. Like Tashmayes said, avoiding processed food and sticking to whole natural food sources is a simple way to avoid sugar, too. So much processed food has unnecessary sugar added to it! Bread, salad dressing, condiments....things you'd never suspect.

Sugar is my enemy, too, and I've found that my health has improved in so many areas (not just weight) since drastically cutting back on it.

Bingo - sugar fee jam. And eventually, try no jam. The fruit probably isn't the problem, it's the jam. (But also, as long as your macros are in line, you probably don't need to worry about it - if you're only getting sugar from fruit and jam, then that's an easy fix. Are you sure you're not eating processed foods? Sugar is added to lots of things as a preservative.)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Actually, this is not true. Table sugar is sucrose, fruit sugar is fructose. These are not the same, and your body processes them differently. Check out this article on Livestrong.com.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/546655-does-the-body-process-fruit-sugars-the-same-way-that-it-does-refined-sugar/

You're right that fructose is a different sugar, but too much sugar is too much sugar. It's not like fructose is a 'free' sugar, and doesn't count as carb calories. It definitely does. That's why fruit juice is so dangerous - you can end up knocking down 150 - or more - calories of sugar (fructose) without even realizing it.
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Switch to sugar-free jam and low-sugar fruits like berries. Like Tashmayes said, avoiding processed food and sticking to whole natural food sources is a simple way to avoid sugar, too. So much processed food has unnecessary sugar added to it! Bread, salad dressing, condiments....things you'd never suspect.

Sugar is my enemy, too, and I've found that my health has improved in so many areas (not just weight) since drastically cutting back on it.

Bingo - sugar fee jam. And eventually, try no jam. The fruit probably isn't the problem, it's the jam. (But also, as long as your macros are in line, you probably don't need to worry about it - if you're only getting sugar from fruit and jam, then that's an easy fix. Are you sure you're not eating processed foods? Sugar is added to lots of things as a preservative.)

Over the course of a week I probably have jam 2-3 times, and a single dove dark chocolate 3-4 times...Eventually I would like to make my own jam, but life is a bit too crazy right now. I do not want to turn from sugar to artificial sugars, as I feel that defeats the purpose of eating healthy.

I do eat processed foods sometimes (again lack of time in the kitchen), but I try to stick to Kashi or Amy's, as I *think* they are a bit better preservative-wise?

I am now utterly confused as to whether I am eating too much sugar or not, but for now I am going to go with, I can eat fruit in moderation, and fruit is obviously better than a candy bar any day.

Thanks all!
    Man
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Sucrose is glucose and fructose. Fruit actually contains fructose, glucose, and sucrose. The body processes it identically.
  • mangohead100
    Options
    According to my naturopath, 2 servings of fruit a day is fine. I agree with most of the other comments - the count is too limiting on sugar and doesn't distinguish between refined (bad) and natural (healthy). I also think the carb count it too high and the protein count it too low, but we all have different body types.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic, and started counting my sugar grams a few weeks ago. Shocked is all I can say! :noway: I eat very little processed, sugary food so I figured out that the majority of my sugar was coming from natural sources and it was in complex carbohydrate sources - yogurt (plain, not the fruity kind), milk, fruit, etc. So, I started leaving those out of my equation and only counting simple sugars (cookies, candy, cake, etc.). Now I'm well under my sugar goal and feel so much better about it! lol!
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Why does MFP set the sugar limit so low in the first place -- does anyone know? I always go over just from a little bit of fruit, and yogurt and low sugar cereal. I thought it is calories that matter?
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options

You're right that fructose is a different sugar, but too much sugar is too much sugar. It's not like fructose is a 'free' sugar, and doesn't count as carb calories. It definitely does. That's why fruit juice is so dangerous - you can end up knocking down 150 - or more - calories of sugar (fructose) without even realizing it.

I'm definitely not saying that fruit sugar is not carbohydrate calories. It's just a very common health misconception that all sugar is created equal, and that is so not true. WHOLE fruits (not juice, no one should ever drink more than around 6 ounces of that per day, if that) are a part of a healthy, fulfilling diet. Fruit sugars aren't freebies; but they also aren't empty calories like the sugar in a can of coke, as long as they come from the actual fruit, not juice.

It takes about two an a half oranges to make one glass of juice. Eat the orange instead and get a little fiber too!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i am type 2 diabetic, my doc told me 3 portions of fruit a day is fine.its the sugar added to cooking teas coffees chocolate etc that i cant have. i do watch my sugar on mfp but if its natural im not bothered if its highish.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why does MFP set the sugar limit so low in the first place -- does anyone know? I always go over just from a little bit of fruit, and yogurt and low sugar cereal. I thought it is calories that matter?
    Recommendations are for sugar to make up about 10% of your total carb intake (not including the discretionary calories category, which allows for more sugar or fat based on personal preference.) So that's what MFP sets for your default sugar recommendation.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just about everything's got sugar in it these days I find it the most frustrating thing also, it's not like I've got my head in a box of chocolates every day :) and so - like someone's said before - I concern myself with cals carbs and protein - life's too 'effin short :)

edit: you know, unless it's a particular health risk for you, just be sensible.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Shift your focus. Naturally occuring sugars, I don't worry about. ADDED sugar- or HFCS- those are the no-no's.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    One sugar substitute that does not cause a spike in glucose response is in coconut sugar. I recommend it for when you want something sweet...but not the awful side effects.

Also, I found a great recipe for jam, that I would sub coconut sugar in for....go here:
    http://www.ohsheglows.com