Skinny Fat? Eff.

"A physique, while not overweight (and possibly underweight), lacks any visible lean, striated tissue."

1-They have a high % of body fat
2- Hardly any fat, but hardly any muscle too

Okay so recently I have been reading a lot on "skinny fat." It seems like a lot of a people are very disgusted by it. Personally, from some of the photos I have looked at, I see nothing disgusting by it. However, there are a few photos that I am like "Oh okay, yeah that isn't totally attractive." Maybe everyone just has a different opinion on what is "skinny fat." Who knows!

Reading all these opinions and seeing all these pictures I have decided I am probably considered "skinny fat." But everyone has a million different opinions on it so I have been so CONFUSED about if I am or not. I have even been personally attacked about being "skinny fat" over My Fitness Pal. According to some people, girls who have bigger breasts (b or bigger) are disgusting and skinny fat. It has got me thinking though...

What is considered more attractive? Being "in shape" (basically NO BOOBS and extremely muscular) or being "skinny fat" (Decent-Large boobs and a pretty flat tummy?)

I love my boobs. I love my butt. I like feeling like I look like a girl. I see pictures of really ripped girls and I don't always find it attractive. I like toned looking girls. Nice arms. Flat belly (no really a six pack.) Back dimples. No love handles. How are girls that have those qualities "skinny fat"? Girls with no boobs that are totally ripped look like teenage boys to me.

What is YOUR opinion?!

Replies

• jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Back dimples are hot. I won't hate on anyone for being ripped but I don't particularly find it attractive in a girl.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    "A physique, while not overweight (and possibly underweight), lacks any visible lean, striated tissue."

1-They have a high % of body fat
    2- Hardly any fat, but hardly any muscle too

Okay so recently I have been reading a lot on "skinny fat." It seems like a lot of a people are very disgusted by it. Personally, from some of the photos I have looked at, I see nothing disgusting by it. However, there are a few photos that I am like "Oh okay, yeah that isn't totally attractive." Maybe everyone just has a different opinion on what is "skinny fat." Who knows!

Reading all these opinions and seeing all these pictures I have decided I am probably considered "skinny fat." But everyone has a million different opinions on it so I have been so CONFUSED about if I am or not. I have even been personally attacked about being "skinny fat" over My Fitness Pal. According to some people, girls who have bigger breasts (b or bigger) are disgusting and skinny fat. It has got me thinking though...

What is considered more attractive? Being "in shape" (basically NO BOOBS and extremely muscular) or being "skinny fat" (Decent-Large boobs and a pretty flat tummy?)

I love my boobs. I love my butt. I like feeling like I look like a girl. I see pictures of really ripped girls and I don't always find it attractive. I like toned looking girls. Nice arms. Flat belly (no really a six pack.) Back dimples. No love handles. How are girls that have those qualities "skinny fat"? Girls with no boobs that are totally ripped look like teenage boys to me.

What is YOUR opinion?!

It seems like you're making the assumption that if you worked on building some muscle, you'd lose your boobs and butt, and look like a ripped teenage boy. None of those things are likely to be true.

Regardless of your level of muscle tone, all those things happen only when you cut too much of your body fat, so you can clearly see what's underneath. If your muscles are strong, you'll get that six-pack look. If you have no muscles at all, you'll look like a skeleton covered in skin. Either way, keeping a healthy body fat percentage keeps your curves and smooth look, regardless of what you've got underneath it.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    skinny fat is a catch all term for people who don't exercise, or only do steady state cardio for exercise, and are at their goal weight, or normal weight, but still look flabby and out of shape. This is because their fast twitch muscle fibers have basically atrophied from lack of use. So have no muscle definition. In addition, you see certain body shape that come with it. hunched shoulders and hip cage bent back being the most common 2.

It has nothing to do with having boobs and *kitten*... And those ripped girls you see are on steroids.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Having breasts doesn't make someone "skinny fat," having a high body fat % but a "healthy weight" BMI is skinny fat.

Breasts are made of a lot more than just fat tissue, and women with naturally large breasts often have a high percentage of fibrocystic tissue which is not fat.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 749 Member
    Good topic.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I think toned and muscular is "more" attractive, but that doesn't mean I think softer is "unattractive". I'll take skinny fat any day over what I've got going on now LOL.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Um. Being strong and fit doesn't make girls "ripped" unless they intentionally go for that look.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This girl here is a powerlifter, and I don't think anyone could describe her as being "bulky" or "ripped".
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    "Being "in shape" (basically NO BOOBS and extremely muscular"

Also, I don't consider that to be toned and muscular. Lots of people on this site have awesome definition and still have boobs and a butt.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    I'm skinny fat and I hate it!

My arms and legs are skinny and I carry the small amount of fat I have around my waist and back (from pregnancy I expect), yet at the same time I am underweight, so it just leads to a less than attractive look...I mean I can look good in clothing, but fully naked, I could be happier. My aim on MFP was to initially just put on weight, but I have started lifting too, so now I am building muscle as well as putting on weight...and I am liking the results much better, though I still have a ways to go!

Before I was wimpy and fragile but doughy looking, hopefully by the end I'll be and look stronger and healthier, so I personally chose fit over skinny fat any day, I can't lose my boobs, they are silicone! I never had any to start with LOL (But I am managing to slowly build up some butt so yay!!)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Back dimples are actually genetic, and don't have anything to do with body fat percentage.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Everyone has their own opinion. If you like the softer look, great. "Other people's opinion of you is none of your business".

ETA: My Opinion? I like the leaner, harder, muscluar look. (Boobs also have nothing to do with it, I always have little boobs unless I'm pregnant or nursing.)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    What body fat % is considered skinny-fat?
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    What body fat % is considered skinny-fat?
    There isn't a number for it that would be accurate. It's not body fat related near as much as lack of muscle mass related..
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    My opinion is that you are making broad generalizations and assumptions based on your perceptions of things you have read around the internet. This topic serves no function other than to cause arguments.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member

For the record.. I am not saying MY OPINION of "in shape" means no boobs, etc. etc. This is just what people have gotten on my case about. I've been told by people on this site, "Oh you have too big of boobs, so you are skinny fat." Totally not my opinion at all. Some people just seem to think if you don't have a ripped body and boobs then you must be skinny fat.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I'm not disgusted by it, but for myself I prefer to be strong and be able to do crazy things with my body.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    To say it's "disgusting" is unnecessary and in most cases, inaccurate. I wouldn't ever call someone "disgusting" for their body. But I do think that having MORE muscle than fat is always an attractive trait on a person, male or female. The gaunt, marathon-runner body type is not one I find personally attractive nor would I aspire to it.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    I think it's more about fitness level. They will have some of the same health problems that overweight people do. It's also embarrasing for a friend of mine because she's "skinny fat"... she get tired walking too long, she can't keep up on her bike with us (me and a friend who's considered to be in the "overweight" category)... while she looks very attractive, she has no level of fitness.. her overall quality of life isn't gonna be as great as it could be..
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    I'm not disgusted by it, but for myself I prefer to be strong and be able to do crazy things with my body.

Lol same here!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member

For the record.. I am not saying MY OPINION of "in shape" means no boobs, etc. etc. This is just what people have gotten on my case about. I've been told by people on this site, "Oh you have too big of boobs, so you are skinny fat." Totally not my opinion at all. Some people just seem to think if you don't have a ripped body and boobs then you must be skinny fat.

Well, honestly, if you have large breasts and no defined muscles, there is a much higher chance that you are skinny-fat than someone who has visible abs, etc. and smaller breasts.... BUT, I've been around the MFPs a lot, and I have never once seen someone correlate large breasts and lack of defined muscles to skinny-fat without other factors in consideration. Again, I believe you are projecting your beliefs on to things other people have said and taken them out of context.