Skinny Fat? Eff.

Options

Replies

• tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Um. Being strong and fit doesn't make girls "ripped" unless they intentionally go for that look.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This girl here is a powerlifter, and I don't think anyone could describe her as being "bulky" or "ripped".

THIS!!!!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    This post is useless. Why did I even read this?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I like how you've basically posted a topic moaning about how people were attacking you for being skinny fat, then proceeded to insult a range of different body types, and basically say your body is hotter than anyone else.

"teenage boys" aye?

No, no one should attack you skinny fat, but you shouldn't retaliate by attacking others.

oh, and btw, no one cares how big your boobs are.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Maybe my understanding of the term is wrong. I thought "Skinny-Fat" referred to people who had a healthy percentage of body fat, and also had practically zero muscle mass. They're not fat by any means, but they're not fit, either.

Whether you have big boobs or not is genetic, and has nothing to do with the "Skinny-Fat" term, as I understood it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    To say it's "disgusting" is unnecessary and in most cases, inaccurate. I wouldn't ever call someone "disgusting" for their body. But I do think that having MORE muscle than fat is always an attractive trait on a person, male or female. The gaunt, marathon-runner body type is not one I find personally attractive nor would I aspire to it.

I always wonder how many marathon runners people who make this kind of daft comment actually know....
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Being in shape does not mean you have no boobs. Too much body fat % ain't healthy.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about fitness level. They will have some of the same health problems that overweight people do. It's also embarrasing for a friend of mine because she's "skinny fat"... she get tired walking too long, she can't keep up on her bike with us (me and a friend who's considered to be in the "overweight" category)... while she looks very attractive, she has no level of fitness.. her overall quality of life isn't gonna be as great as it could be..

This is how I have always looked at things, on a fitness level. I've never used terms like "skinny fat" or even understood them. It has just been on this site that I hear the terms like that. I've look at people as "in shape" (really active and pretty high fitness level) or "out or shape" (not as active and very low fitness level"....I think it's more attractive to to be a higher number on the scale and have an awesome fitness level than to be 100 pounds and get tired on a 15 min walk.....
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't care - to start off with I'm just trying to get out of the fat fat range, skinny fat would be a welcome as would just plain ole skinny
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "girls who have bigger breasts (b or bigger) are disgusting and skinny fat"

wat.
    Breasts don't have anything to do with skinny fat; your breasts are largely determines by your genetics.

Skinny fat is someone who may be skinny, but who's also soft and squishy for their weight. It's someone that most likely doesn't bother with training muscles at all - and muscles give your body shape and make it firm. So, someone with weak muscles might still jiggle like a 'fat' person.

I prefer the firmness of muscles, but that's all a matter of opinion. I wouldn't say skinny fat is disgusting, but it doesn't exactly speak for a healthy style of living....

Also, a nicely shaped butt (one that isn't totally flat) is usually one of a trained woman. Skinny fat women have neither fat nor muscles to shape one in most cases....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think in general being healthy is attractive. A healthy BF for a girl is between 25 and 18%. Less than that and I think it looks a bit creepy, more and you will probably have cellulite. Same goes for men. You aren't skinny fat or ripped if you are within that range, you are just healthy, which IMO is what matters.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    And breast size has nothing to do with fat. At 18 I weighed 112lbs, 14% BF and was a 32F in bras. So there.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    What you are describing at the end of your post isn't "skinny fat".

Skinny fat is being within a healthy/normal weight range for your height but having LESS lean body mass.

My favorite picture to illustrate this (taken from http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/)

runway-model.jpg

Crystal-682x1024.jpg

Both girls have 12-15% body fat. The girl in the second pic is 35-40 lbs heavier than the model.

So that means the model is she weighed 100 lbs, she would have approximately 75 lbs of lean body mass.

The second picture: if the athlete weighed 135, she would have 115 of lean body mass.

(taken from same website) "The image below shows a female figure that has a large amount of fat, while having a very small amount of muscle. This is described in the fitness community as “skinny fat”. While not overly “bulky” she doesn’t have the aesthetics that most of us work so hard to attain. The woman in this image is likely at a level close to 30% body fat and likely has a similar amount of muscle as the runway model. So even though she may look fine wearing a sweater, it is a different story at the beach."

Skinny-Fat1.jpg
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Skinny fat doesn't necessarily mean you have big boobs and flat stomach, just that you look "skinny" to the eye, but that you actually have very little muscle. I was "skinny fat" for most of my life. I never looked fat, never wore bigger than a size 5, but had trouble lifting items from my cart at costco and could barely run for a minute. I never had a flat stomach and always had small boobs, but again I didn't look fat. Your boob size is genetic, and has nothing to do with how fit you are otherwise.

The problem people have with skinny-fat is not the way people look, but because it's flat out unhealthy. Who cares about looking good if you can't climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath? If you are OK with a skinny, weak body than that's fine. Personally I'm not OK with that. I want to be strong and be able to run away if someone starts chasing me. Another issue with skinny fat- you usually don't look that good in clothes. Now that I'm much leaner I still wear the same size, but the clothes look a lot better on my body.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My opinion...I don't want to be skinny or fat. I want muskels.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I vote for the muscles.
    I'll always have big boobs regardless of weight so muscles don't mean no boobs.
    Also women won't get "extremely muscular" like a man if they lift weights so I really wouldn't worry.
    A high body fat percentage (to me) is the main concern with "skinny-fat."

I'm ten pounds from a healthy weight but I'm pretty sure my bfp is higher than it should be at this weight.

As long as someone is genuinely healthy than who gives a poo what shape their body is?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare and until I joined MFP I'd only ever heard "skinny fat" used to apply to those people who are naturally thin so they eat crap all day. They look skinny but actually have quite a bit of internal (visceral) fat around their organs, which puts them at the same risk of cardio-vascular disease as obese people.

I don't believe it's possible to become what many bodybuilders on this site term "skinny fat". If you have a high BF%, you will rarely look skinny. Usually they are talking about women with a healthy BF% who don't have a lot of muscle bulges. This, to me, is not generally unattractive, and does not indicate the woman is more or less healthy than someone with a lower BF%.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Woa I am muscular and I have small boobs. So thank you for thinking I am disgusting. It make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Woa I am muscular and I have small boobs. So thank you for thinking I am disgusting. It make me feel all warm and fuzzy insurance de.

Maybe so, Yanicka, but you've got the awesome waist and butt of a woman who rocks the squats and deadlifts! :drinker:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've posted this comparison before, but I think it's a good illustration of what muscles can do for your physique.

145vs158.jpg
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Great Example!! :drinker:
    What you are describing at the end of your post isn't "skinny fat".

Skinny fat is being within a healthy/normal weight range for your height but having LESS lean body mass.

My favorite picture to illustrate this (taken from http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/)

runway-model.jpg

Crystal-682x1024.jpg

Both girls have 12-15% body fat. The girl in the second pic is 35-40 lbs heavier than the model.

So that means the model is she weighed 100 lbs, she would have approximately 75 lbs of lean body mass.

The second picture: if the athlete weighed 135, she would have 115 of lean body mass.

(taken from same website) "The image below shows a female figure that has a large amount of fat, while having a very small amount of muscle. This is described in the fitness community as “skinny fat”. While not overly “bulky” she doesn’t have the aesthetics that most of us work so hard to attain. The woman in this image is likely at a level close to 30% body fat and likely has a similar amount of muscle as the runway model. So even though she may look fine wearing a sweater, it is a different story at the beach."

Skinny-Fat1.jpg