Physical activity you don't log????

Options

Replies

• Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Did I get fat doing housework? Grocery shopping? Having boom boom? Yes. So I don't log it.

Never thought of it that way, but good call.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Did I get fat doing housework? Grocery shopping? Having boom boom? Yes. So I don't log it.
    :laugh: ^this.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Since I have sedentary listed I logged anything that I do for more then 15 minutes that not intentional - (cleaning, shopping, etc)
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of it...I'd just be tempted to eat back the calories, which defeats the purpose.

Actually , that's not true. Unless you set up your goals manually w/ your TDEE info. Otherwise, the way MFP is set up is that if you don't exercise , you will still lose weight because it already gives you a deficit. If you exercise, you further increase that deficit

to a possibly unhealthy level. If you follow how MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat your exercise cals back. You need to fuel your body. Food is fuel.

I simply don't buy into all of that. My body gets enough fuel. I could go a month without eating (that's how much "fuel" my body has). I can afford to miss a few meals. I eat when I'm hungry..and I stop eating when I'm satiated. My body is thriving and actually shedding weight at a slower pace this way...rather than gaining weight slowly by eating in excess. Working out, for me...is to condition my body..shrink it. It works for me. I don't feel the need to refeed just because I workout.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I only log what I specifically do to burn calories. If it's just part of my day at work or whatever, nope. I figure that's just included in ordinary daily needs. If I didn't breathe hard or sweat for more than 20 minutes, forget it. I'd think about logging sex if it took as long as my cardio workouts. Since it doesn't, there's no point. It probably only burns 50-100 extra calories anyway.

Plus, my diary's open to friends. They don't need to be knowing that!
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I only log my actual workouts, the activities I intentionally do for the purpose of burning calories that require me to change clothes (ie, going to the gym, doing workout DVD at home, going for a walk/jog around the neighborhood.) I don't log cleaning because that is just normal daily activity to me. If I am walking to my neighbors for dinner, I don't log that, that is not the same as walking around the block three times. I don't log going to the mall or amusement park. If I park in the back of the mall parking lot to get a in a little extra walk, I don't log that , if I have a meeting upstairs or in the building next door and I take the stairs or walk, I don't log that. I am pretty sure I didn't burn enough calories doing those small activities to need to eat extra calories. All those little activities are just a bonus to me.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I dont log anything but my regular exersise except on sunday when I clean my 2 story preschool but even then I only log 1/2 the time I was there
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm in EMS.. I don't log anything I do at work, including lifting/moving obese patients. I have to fight with people who are hypoglycemic, have an alcohol or drug overdose, or who have severe alzheimers sometimes. Also don't log how much I walk when I'm off the treadmill.

To those of you who don't log sex, thank you. I'd get depressed if I saw you had sex constantly.. I've been sex free for about a year :( , but I'd definitely log it just to show off when/if it does happen.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of it...I'd just be tempted to eat back the calories, which defeats the purpose.

Actually , that's not true. Unless you set up your goals manually w/ your TDEE info. Otherwise, the way MFP is set up is that if you don't exercise , you will still lose weight because it already gives you a deficit. If you exercise, you further increase that deficit

to a possibly unhealthy level. If you follow how MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat your exercise cals back. You need to fuel your body. Food is fuel.

I simply don't buy into all of that. My body gets enough fuel. I could go a month without eating (that's how much "fuel" my body has). I can afford to miss a few meals. I eat when I'm hungry..and I stop eating when I'm satiated. My body is thriving and actually shedding weight at a slower pace this way...rather than gaining weight slowly by eating in excess. Working out, for me...is to condition my body..shrink it. It works for me. I don't feel the need to refeed just because I workout.
    I agree...I don't think anyone is going into starvation mode because they burned too many calories vacuuming the house or mowing the lawn...
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If I don't perform the activity specifically to burn calories, I don't bother logging it.

Exactly.
  • husstlebusstle
    Options
    I live in a city and don't have a car so I don't log any walks that are less than a mile because they are pretty standard and have always been a part of my daily activity-now or when I was 80lbs heavier. I would log a three mile walk though.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I let my Fitbit log all my steps for the day but I only specifically log additional exercise by the time started and minutes used. The Fitbit figures out all the rest. I like knowing how many steps I did in a day regardless of what they were for. Each one counts.

THIS! and actually, today I didn't log my treadmill time because it looks like the fitbit covered it pretty accurately. I did log my 25minutes of strength. Many days I have a BIG fitbit adjustment as I am set at sedentary, but I rarely eat all my workout calories--I just eat enough to have a net over 1000 calories for the day.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, so my stats are based on sedentary. I do not log walking around campus during the day or when I take the stairs numerous times during the day. I do not log cooking, cleaning (admittedly I have someone else clean my house), doing laundry, or the times I go up and down the stairs at home.

I will log when I walk on the treadmill or at the park, even if that's only 150-180 calories (some guy in that other thread said that's just asking for trouble, but whatever). If I'm going to the zoo for hours, I'll log the walking I do there. If I'm at the outlet malls for hours, I'll log some of those walking hours, too.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used to log sex until my profile became public!!!! It's a GREAT workout, we all should be logging it :o)

Since it's not in the list, I usually log sex as "dancing, general." LOL
  • jld66
    jld66 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this question! The only thing I log are Gym type of activity...ie: Elliptical and when i can start working out I might log that...not sure. I have been going to the gym since age 14 and I am 46 now, but have had major medical issues these past four years. I think I may find it difficult to log doing biceps. I don't know yet.

I find it interesting that people log riding a motorcycle, horseback riding, cleaning, gardening, mowing lawn, walking the dog etc as exercise. To me that is normal daily activity. My company requires a ton of heavy lifting and inventory runs that by the time I am done unloading I am drenched in sweat. I get sooooo busy many days at work that I a sweating because of hustling. I am a clean freak and never log that...the last time I did a massive cleaning I had to shower immediately after and nope, I did not log.

WHY?? Because these are things I have been doing religiously for a min. of 22 years and my body is simply used to it so I do not view it as exercise to loose weight.. I feel that if it makes you feel better about yourself to log horseback riding as exercise I say GO FOR IT! Anything that can and will motivate it what it is all about.

Now I am going to read some of these posts...GREAT topic!!! Thanks :)
  • LRA11
    LRA11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do people really log sex???
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Wish I could log s*x... xD anyway...

how do I log ab workouts? It's a legitimate question, since I'm in a pickle here.

I did:

25 crunches
    25 reverse crunches
    25 bicycle crunches
    40 Russian twists
    20 side crunches
    30 sec. plank
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    anything I don't do at the gym or outside. cleaning, walking the mall, etc.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Then why are you even on this site if you don't agree with how it works?
  • jld66
    jld66 Posts: 18
    Options
    :blushing: Wish I could log s*x... xD anyway...

how do I log ab workouts? It's a legitimate question, since I'm in a pickle here.

I did:

25 crunches
    25 reverse crunches
    25 bicycle crunches
    40 Russian twists
    20 side crunches
    30 sec. plank

I think by using a HRM? I do an hour of them at least three times a week and dont log it (I know I should)...OR - search MFP to see if they have the calorie content.

I just searched MFP - go to ADD ENTRY...then Strength...then type in your exercise and ie crunches and it will give you your calories :)