CrossFit Diet

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    When eating Paleo you'll be surprised how far a little bit of food will carry you.....when you're eating "properly".

You could replace Paleo with "self control", there is little wrong with Paleo but the reality is that there is little difference in terms of what you put in you eating Paleo or just relatively "clean". When it comes down to it, Paleo still leans more towards fad diet...or just most people who are fanatics about paleo annoy me.

Now Paleo obsessed Crossfitters? Christ on toast.

To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.

^ I agree with this.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    1318291546720.gif
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    CrossFit endorses/recommends Paleo/Zone eating. But you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. I'd say just eat as clean as you can, to satisfaction, with emphasis on veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein. Every box is different, but I don't think I've ever heard of one being super Nazi-ish about the Paleo thing. If this place is, try a different one.

side note: I started crossfit about a month ago and it's not an exaggeration to say it's changed my life. I am a runner, lifter, and spinning instructor. I train hard. I have always had knee pain and it's something I struggle w/ in my workouts. Since joining crossfit, and doing all the foam rolling they have you do, and the flexibility and strength exercises, my knee pain is nearly entirely gone. I feel stronger and healthier, and I can already see changes in my body. And I have NOT been good about food since the WODs make me so hungry! LOL. Just think how much better I'd look if I was doing Paleo, eh? ;)

Cool. Thanks. It's so expensive. That's what's really got me. Really, really, really expensive. $160 to $220 or something a month. That's a car payment. LOL. I mean, that's just crazy. For that kind of money, it better be really really really good.

But, a part of me has been wanting to do it for a couple of years. I might have to just get it out of my system. It might not be for me at all.
  • Sidesteal
    ^ I can't quit watching that.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    When I went to CrossFit they couldnt believe I used a microwave... And then there was the sugar in the coffee...
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 350 Member
    To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.

Dude, I guess my CrossFit place is that exception. The coach is a stickler for form, and kipping is only used to get you up to doing strict pull-ups. During my first real workout (10 rounds of 10 deadlifts and 10 pushups), he watched and scaled me down to a lower weight halfway through because my back was starting to round. People sure seem to love to write CrossFit off. I'm not a rabid supporter or anything, but I'm a long-time heavy lifter, and so far, I do enjoy it and have seen nothing but a strict adherence to form.
  • Sidesteal
    When I went to CrossFit they couldnt believe I used a microwave... And then there was the sugar in the coffee...

LOL
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Looking forward to the next few years when people have chronic overuse injuries from crossfit. Who thought bringing the training for the genetic elite to the mainstream population was a good idea?
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    ^ I can't quit watching that.

I'm a pretty objective person, so I by no means assume that all Crossfit gyms are like that. However, to see so many coaches watching people struggling and bending every which way to pull off a clean and jerk or snatch...and doing nothing, terrifies me.

Kipping pullups, especially by pregnant women, good lord.

Now there are some folks who swear by kipping pullups (Konstantin Konstantiov for example), but for the most part it looks like something only experienced lifters should even dare to attempt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Looking forward to the next few years when people have chronic overuse injuries from crossfit. Who thought bringing the training for the genetic elite to the mainstream population was a good idea?

ladies-caution-box-jumps_design.png

http://beastmodaldomains.com/2011/12/07/come-at-me-coach-volume-iii-high-rep-box -jumps/
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    ^^^ ruptured achilles tendon incoming.
  • jenniebean1680
    1318291546720.gif

I love that the coach isn't even paying attention to the no-reps going on right there. This gif isn't how all CrossFit boxes operate, trust me. The woman in the forefront, in particular, would be told to get off the bar if that were my coach.
  • neverstray
    I'm aware that cross-fit is the devil. The point of this post is really more about the Paleo diet and how that is related to cross-fit.

The reason I want to train with Cross-Fit is because I want to start training for Tri-Athelons, and Tough Mudder next year. I thought that Cross-Fit looked like excellent training for those things. Maybe I am wrong?
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    I made an appointment to check out my local CrossFit place, and while I was on the phone, they asked me about my diet. I told them that I eat pretty well and I've been tracking my eating for a couple years now. They mentioned that that's great, and that I should check out their nutrition information on their site. So, I did. I noticed that they push Paleo Diet pretty hard.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing? Or maybe it's just the one in my area? I'm just curious, because I hate BS like that. It turns me off in a big way. If they push one diet as THE DIET and everything else is subpar, I'll always think of them as close-minded jerks, and not really people that look at the big picture of fitness.

I don't mean to start a whole giant thing about CrossFit, I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

Thanks.

It's definitely a Crossfit thing. I know Crossfit gym owners in Atlanta and other areas of GA, some competitive Crossfitters in Philly, and some instructors in various parts of NC and NH, and yes, Crossfit and Paleo pretty much go hand-in-hand. Actually, come to think of it, I don't know a single person who participates in Crossfit that doesn't do Paleo.

The folks I know who do it look amazing, BUT, some have really been injured due to improper instruction methods (I think most studios can be great, but I know the one around the corner here is a bunch of meathead idiots that do not take beginner fitness levels into account... I would never go there) because it's a licensed program, not a franchise, or something to that effect.

Good luck if you go! I've thought about it, but everyone I know who does it is so obsessed, it's almost cultish. I don't have time for that business, you know?
  • jenniebean1680
    Love that OP said she didn't want to start a big discussion about CrossFit...
  • neverstray
    I made an appointment to check out my local CrossFit place, and while I was on the phone, they asked me about my diet. I told them that I eat pretty well and I've been tracking my eating for a couple years now. They mentioned that that's great, and that I should check out their nutrition information on their site. So, I did. I noticed that they push Paleo Diet pretty hard.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing? Or maybe it's just the one in my area? I'm just curious, because I hate BS like that. It turns me off in a big way. If they push one diet as THE DIET and everything else is subpar, I'll always think of them as close-minded jerks, and not really people that look at the big picture of fitness.

I don't mean to start a whole giant thing about CrossFit, I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

Thanks.

It's definitely a Crossfit thing. I know Crossfit gym owners in Atlanta and other areas of GA, some competitive Crossfitters in Philly, and some instructors in various parts of NC and NH, and yes, Crossfit and Paleo pretty much go hand-in-hand. Actually, come to think of it, I don't know a single person who participates in Crossfit that doesn't do Paleo.

The folks I know who do it look amazing, BUT, some have really been injured due to improper instruction methods (I think most studios can be great, but I know the one around the corner here is a bunch of meathead idiots that do not take beginner fitness levels into account... I would never go there) because it's a licensed program, not a franchise, or something to that effect.

Good luck if you go! I've thought about it, but everyone I know who does it is so obsessed, it's almost cultish. I don't have time for that business, you know?

Thanks for the info, I'm back and forth on this.
  • neverstray
    Love that OP said she didn't want to start a big discussion about CrossFit...

She's a he.

I knew it would. It's OK. I just don't want all haters. I like a nice balanced view of the cult, I mean, er...gym.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    CrossFit endorses/recommends Paleo/Zone eating. But you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. I'd say just eat as clean as you can, to satisfaction, with emphasis on veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein. Every box is different, but I don't think I've ever heard of one being super Nazi-ish about the Paleo thing. If this place is, try a different one.

side note: I started crossfit about a month ago and it's not an exaggeration to say it's changed my life. I am a runner, lifter, and spinning instructor. I train hard. I have always had knee pain and it's something I struggle w/ in my workouts. Since joining crossfit, and doing all the foam rolling they have you do, and the flexibility and strength exercises, my knee pain is nearly entirely gone. I feel stronger and healthier, and I can already see changes in my body. And I have NOT been good about food since the WODs make me so hungry! LOL. Just think how much better I'd look if I was doing Paleo, eh? ;)

Cool. Thanks. It's so expensive. That's what's really got me. Really, really, really expensive. $160 to $220 or something a month. That's a car payment. LOL. I mean, that's just crazy. For that kind of money, it better be really really really good.

But, a part of me has been wanting to do it for a couple of years. I might have to just get it out of my system. It might not be for me at all.

Holy cow. I couldn't justify paying that to join, personally.

I've never really looked at it in depth, but isn't it just like timed circuits? I watched a youtube vid of DLB doing a cross fit workout. She did three sets of squats, push press, and bench - timed. Couldn't I go to my empty weight room and set up something similar?
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    I'm aware that cross-fit is the devil. The point of this post is really more about the Paleo diet and how that is related to cross-fit.

The reason I want to train with Cross-Fit is because I want to start training for Tri-Athelons, and Tough Mudder next year. I thought that Cross-Fit looked like excellent training for those things. Maybe I am wrong?

Will likely work fine, as I said, the general fanatacism and disregard for safety, injury etc that seems to go hand-in-hand with crossfit alarms me. However there are always exceptions to any rule.

Now I won't pretend to know how best to advice training for Tri-Athelons, but I don't think you should be shelling out that much money for a Crossfit Gym just for that. Build a program of lifting and train accordingly, swim hard, run lots. Eat good stuff, and lots of it.

Swim, bike, and run a lot. Lookup Starting Strength if you are new to lifting (you will learn to Deadlift, Squat, OHP properly etc).
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 928 Member
    i've done crossfit for over a year and they all believe in the paleo diet. obviously they are suggesting it because they think it will help you see results, they don't make any money off of you eating paleo so why would you question their motives behind suggesting it? crossfit is an awesome work out and paleo will give you great results, its well worth the money in my opinion.