CrossFit Diet

Options

Replies

• spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is so funny, I'm coming back to read more later.

Also, there are some funny CrossFit blogs/rants on this site if you are looking to kill time today

http://beastmodaldomains.com/
  • kturner2012
    Options
    [[/quote]

Dude, I guess my CrossFit place is that exception. The coach is a stickler for form, and kipping is only used to get you up to doing strict pull-ups. During my first real workout (10 rounds of 10 deadlifts and 10 pushups), he watched and scaled me down to a lower weight halfway through because my back was starting to round. People sure seem to love to write CrossFit off. I'm not a rabid supporter or anything, but I'm a long-time heavy lifter, and so far, I do enjoy it and have seen nothing but a strict adherence to form.
    [/quote]

I've been doing CrossFit for about 2 months now and I have to agree with you. Before I was even allowed to join the "regular" classes I had to complete a four week fundamentals class. I also have a coach standing over me during nearly every lift to critique my form and protect me from hurting myself if at all possible. Sure, there is always a chance of hurting yourself, but you have to take responsibility for yourself. There are risks in everything you do. Get over blaming someone else.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that cross-fit is the devil. The point of this post is really more about the Paleo diet and how that is related to cross-fit.

The reason I want to train with Cross-Fit is because I want to start training for Tri-Athelons, and Tough Mudder next year. I thought that Cross-Fit looked like excellent training for those things. Maybe I am wrong?

No, you are right. The Tough Mudder part in particular. It's not the only way to prep for it but it's a good one.

as with anything else, there are supporters and haters. You just gotta Do You. Too many absolutes being used on these boards, all around. Everyone's an expert on everything, it seems.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    CrossFit endorses/recommends Paleo/Zone eating. But you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. I'd say just eat as clean as you can, to satisfaction, with emphasis on veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein. Every box is different, but I don't think I've ever heard of one being super Nazi-ish about the Paleo thing. If this place is, try a different one.

side note: I started crossfit about a month ago and it's not an exaggeration to say it's changed my life. I am a runner, lifter, and spinning instructor. I train hard. I have always had knee pain and it's something I struggle w/ in my workouts. Since joining crossfit, and doing all the foam rolling they have you do, and the flexibility and strength exercises, my knee pain is nearly entirely gone. I feel stronger and healthier, and I can already see changes in my body. And I have NOT been good about food since the WODs make me so hungry! LOL. Just think how much better I'd look if I was doing Paleo, eh? ;)

Cool. Thanks. It's so expensive. That's what's really got me. Really, really, really expensive. $160 to $220 or something a month. That's a car payment. LOL. I mean, that's just crazy. For that kind of money, it better be really really really good.

But, a part of me has been wanting to do it for a couple of years. I might have to just get it out of my system. It might not be for me at all.

Holy cow. I couldn't justify paying that to join, personally.

I've never really looked at it in depth, but isn't it just like timed circuits? I watched a youtube vid of DLB doing a cross fit workout. She did three sets of squats, push press, and bench - timed. Couldn't I go to my empty weight room and set up something similar?

My understanding is they emphasize that. But, they also request that you go in, learn proper form on all their workouts, and then you can go do them on your own.

My understanding is that the whole idea is to be able to do this stuff using your environment. Work out at home or in a park, or whatever. But, they do ask that you come in for a while and learn form. I think what gets people is they wind up liking doing it with other people and having the coaches there all the time.
  • jenniebean1680
    Options
    Sure, there is always a chance of hurting yourself, but you have to take responsibility for yourself. There are risks in everything you do. Get over blaming someone else.

^^THIS. Thank you.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    CrossFit endorses/recommends Paleo/Zone eating. But you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. I'd say just eat as clean as you can, to satisfaction, with emphasis on veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein. Every box is different, but I don't think I've ever heard of one being super Nazi-ish about the Paleo thing. If this place is, try a different one.

side note: I started crossfit about a month ago and it's not an exaggeration to say it's changed my life. I am a runner, lifter, and spinning instructor. I train hard. I have always had knee pain and it's something I struggle w/ in my workouts. Since joining crossfit, and doing all the foam rolling they have you do, and the flexibility and strength exercises, my knee pain is nearly entirely gone. I feel stronger and healthier, and I can already see changes in my body. And I have NOT been good about food since the WODs make me so hungry! LOL. Just think how much better I'd look if I was doing Paleo, eh? ;)

Cool. Thanks. It's so expensive. That's what's really got me. Really, really, really expensive. $160 to $220 or something a month. That's a car payment. LOL. I mean, that's just crazy. For that kind of money, it better be really really really good.

But, a part of me has been wanting to do it for a couple of years. I might have to just get it out of my system. It might not be for me at all.

I've never really looked at it in depth, but isn't it just like timed circuits? I watched a youtube vid of DLB doing a cross fit workout. She did three sets of squats, push press, and bench - timed. Couldn't I go to my empty weight room and set up something similar?

It's more than just that - the WOD changes everyday. That's not to say that you couldn't pick a crossfit box's website, look at the posted WOD and do it yourself (and you may need a partner for some of them).
    I'm going back and forth on whether to join a Crossfit or not - the cost is pretty prohibitive but I know the trainers at the one I'm thinking about joining and they seem to be on the ball and concerned about what my long term goals are.
  • shorej
    shorej Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1318291546720.gif

I love that the coach isn't even paying attention to the no-reps going on right there. This gif isn't how all CrossFit boxes operate, trust me. The woman in the forefront, in particular, would be told to get off the bar if that were my coach.

Those are butterfly pull-ups - designed for speed. She is making them - the point is to get your chest close to the bar. They are hard to do!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    My understanding is they emphasize that. But, they also request that you go in, learn proper form on all their workouts, and then you can go do them on your own.

My understanding is that the whole idea is to be able to do this stuff using your environment. Work out at home or in a park, or whatever. But, they do ask that you come in for a while and learn form. I think what gets people is they wind up liking doing it with other people and having the coaches there all the time.

gotcha. i can see the appeal of being around others while doing it. i'm a competitive person.

ps - forgive my typos, etc....i have a 2 yr old on my lap.
  • jenniebean1680
    Options

Yeah, the community feel is great. But you def pay through the nose. I justify it by saying that teaching my spinning classes at LA Fitness pays my CrossFit membership... LOL.

That was my feeling, too. I'd been throwing the idea around for a while and finally was like "WTF, may as well try it. I may hate it." and at first the workouts were murder on my knees, but now they feel better than they have in years, and I really enjoy the workouts. I think it all depends on the box, though. Some are great, some are ****, just like anything else.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

the timed WOD's are to gage your improvements. you write down the times and modifications and then when that WOD comes back around you try to beat your time. Crossfit is way more than just timed circuits. at my box you have a team that you work with every day, a coach that really monitors and helps you improve, teammates that are supportive, and the work outs never get boring.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    My first crossfit session comprised of:

10 snatches (40kg)
    10 overhead presses (40kg)
    10 front squats (40kg)
    20 burpees, had to jump over bar between each rep
    200m run

x5

I'm not a much of a lifter either.
  • jenniebean1680
    Options
    Love that OP said she didn't want to start a big discussion about CrossFit...

She's a he.

I knew it would. It's OK. I just don't want all haters. I like a nice balanced view of the cult, I mean, er...gym.

LOL, derp. Sorry for switching your gender. Guess I saw the girl runner (rummer) doubled-over on your pic and assumed, and we all know what happens when you do that. Anyway, I hear ya, sounds like you're getting some of both.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I know two guys that do CrossFit. One in Indianapolis and apparently as his gym they don't push Paleo. Another in OKC. I don't think they pushed it but just said results would be better if you did it. He actually did it and does pretty well. I'm pretty sure you could get similar results from a low carb diet.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    1318291546720.gif

I love that the coach isn't even paying attention to the no-reps going on right there. This gif isn't how all CrossFit boxes operate, trust me. The woman in the forefront, in particular, would be told to get off the bar if that were my coach.

Those are butterfly pull-ups - designed for speed. She is making them - the point is to get your chest close to the bar. They are hard to do!

this ^^ ....those aren't pull ups people!
  • neverstray
    Options

the timed WOD's are to gage your improvements. you write down the times and modifications and then when that WOD comes back around you try to beat your time. Crossfit is way more than just timed circuits. at my box you have a team that you work with every day, a coach that really monitors and helps you improve, teammates that are supportive, and the work outs never get boring.

The prices I quoted were for ONLY 3 days a week. If I went everyday, I can't fathom what the price would be.
  • marieautumn
    Options

The prices I quoted were for ONLY 3 days a week. If I went everyday, I can't fathom what the price would be.

you dont work out every day, but every day there are group emails, facebook group discussions, etc. everyone is very supportive and helpful.

edit- and if your biggest concern with crossfit is your inability to afford it, then you can't really bash the methods of their WODs or the theory behind paleo because you havent really experienced it.
  • jenniebean1680
    Options

Holy schnikeys. That's a lot. I pay $160/month for unlimited. I could go to every WOD if I wanted to.

PS, I am aware those aren't pullups in the gif. However, I have never once heard of 'butterfly pull-ups', just kipping. And those sure as hell ain't kipping pullups. Just sayin.
  • marieautumn
    Options

Holy schnikeys. That's a lot. I pay $160/month for unlimited. I could go to every WOD if I wanted to.

PS, I am aware those aren't pullups in the gif. However, I have never once heard of 'butterfly pull-ups', just kipping. And those sure as hell ain't kipping pullups. Just sayin.

well i can assure you we aren't making it up. those are butterflies. ask your coach.
  • neverstray
    Options

you dont work out every day, but every day there are group emails, facebook group discussions, etc. everyone is very supportive and helpful.

edit- and if your biggest concern with crossfit is your inability to afford it, then you can't really bash the methods of their WODs or the theory behind paleo because you havent really experienced it.

Actually, I can. Price is one factor, value is what I am really evaluating.