Just found out I have diabetes.

Options
13»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear. My son is type 1, diagnosed when he was 4 years old, so I have a lot of experience managing it.

I advised a friend with Type 2 for a few *hours* and he got his a1c down from 10 to below 6. There is a lot of bad education about how to manage it, and it's all self-managed.

#1 misconception... it ain't about sugar, it's about CARBS. The are a million things that can raise your blood sugar, but eating carbs is the *biggest* one that you can control.

This statement and information is SOOOO TRUE!!!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. You can still live a normal life without needles and pills. You just need to exercise and eat healthy. There are several different methods. As a member of MFP you will likely count calories and transition to healthy foods prepared properly. I'm a nutritionist and personal trainer. I give classes on obesity, diabetes etc. Feel free to add me and ask as many questions are you like. 100 lbs ago I was pre-diabetic and almost had a stroke. I lost over 100 lbs in less than 6 months without ever seeing a doctor. I had to learn how my body operates and what proper nutrition meant. Above all, I had to transition to a healthy lifestyle.

E
  • amandalfn
    amandalfn Posts: 24
    Options
    Once you have diabetes you always have diabetes...It's a myth that it goes away...All you can do is manage it through medication, maintaing a healthy weight, eating well and exercise.