The battle within - fat cat won again today :0(

Options
So this is how it went - I know you all do it too

Circumstance: Quick lunch needed, really hot outside
Options: (A)=Arby's Reuben Sandwich (Sub) Subway Turkey Sandwich (Son) Sonic Chili Cheese Dog

All in my head within only a few moments
"really hungry, that's my stomach growling..Mmybe Arby's they're real fast & I can eat it in in the car, don't order fries & only eat 1/2 the sandwich, mmm Sonic haven't had that in a long time, close to home no tater tots" (pull car over, use mfp app on phone) "410 cal chili dog, yikes! Arby's 640, eat 1/2 320, that's an expensive sandwich to throw away. Really? do you think you can actually do that, last time didn't work out so well, think smart, think smart ... Subway?? 380 if I get my norm, eh, had that yesterday, okay, make a decision go right Arby's go left Sonic, hmmm Sonic's close to home could just go home & have soup, low in calories really filling, think I bought the light one this time, what if I bought regular? I'm really hungry, Wait, that could take awhile & I'll get distracted. Subway, gotta get out & go inside, not quick enough, really hot outside. Turn left? no Arby's choice narrowed to home & Sonic... left again Sonic at the entrance to our subdivision, less than a mile to the house, soup good, Sonic not so much, (turning) go left mmm, go straight, make a good decision, come on Cat you can do this... Quick decide.... (turned left). Mmmmm chili cheese dog is sooo good, I'll make a better choice tomorrow. No fast food"

If you followed this thought process you've done it too. It's just amazing the drama I go thru in my head just deciding what to eat for lunch. I mean really?? If it all works out well & I live 20 more years I'll have to make that decision over 7,000 more times just for lunches.

Am I totally nuts? Do we all go thru this or should I get a magic 8 ball to make this process easier?
Tomorrow's a new day & that's my mantra... one day, one meal, one bite... whatever it takes to live better.

Replies

• adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was there on Friday. I was starving, but not going straight home from work. I was not smart enough to think ahead and pack extra food for after work. On my way from work to my event, I passed 1 Arby's, 1 Hardee's, was not too far away from 1 Sonic and 1 Subway, 1 Dairy Queen, 1 Panda Express, 2 Steak and Shakes, 1 Burger King, and 4, yes, 4 Mc Donalds. I decided on Mc Donalds but quandered should I get a plain hamburger or a McDouble. I went for the McDouble. Sad part was, I only traveled about 5 miles and had all those choices and that many McDonald's.
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I've done that before when I'm IN line or ordering from the waitress.

I'll be like Ok, this looks healthy shouldn't be too many calories, I go to make my order and my mouth (traitor) orders something completly diffrent, orders the thing that really sounds good. The waitress walks away and I'm still sitting there with my mouth wide open wondering what just happened.:laugh:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

I'll be like Ok, this looks healthy shouldn't be too many calories, I go to make my order and my mouth (traitor) orders something completly diffrent, orders the thing that really sounds good. The waitress walks away and I'm still sitting there with my mouth wide open wondering what just happened.:laugh:
    '

This is SO ME! So is the original post!! Hahaha I'm glad others can relate.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You should have gone to Wendys.........Gotten the grilled chicken sandwich with fruit cup and a diet coke.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So... you thought Subway would be a good choice at 380 calories, but that extra 30 calories from Sonic made it the bad choice?
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options

I am SO guilty of this!!!!!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    ive done it, yup! The best thing for me is to have a solid plan ahead of time, and then i dont have to make it 5000 or 10000 more times :)

thanks for the share!
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    this is sooo me every single day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cortnizzle
    Cortnizzle Posts: 26
    Options
    So... you thought Subway would be a good choice at 380 calories, but that extra 30 calories from Sonic made it the bad choice?

Calories are not everything. Where they come from is important. Your calories should come mostly from protein and fiber. Some fat, but only about 30%. I feel like I would be safe in assuming that the chili dog had more fat calories than the subway (depending on what "the usual" is)
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Laughed out loud reading that, how true, the battle in the head is there for sure when the decision is needed in regards how to "spend" the calories. Love how you put it in writing!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! (Yesterday it was Subway vs Arbys and neither a good choice because we were at an amusement park and everything was twice as expensive).

Most of the time I pack a lunch for work, school, etc. It's healthier, less expensive, and saves me going through this all the time! But still, I feel your pain.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    So this is how it went - I know you all do it too

Circumstance: Quick lunch needed, really hot outside
    Options: (A)=Arby's Reuben Sandwich (Sub) Subway Turkey Sandwich (Son) Sonic Chili Cheese Dog

All in my head within only a few moments
    "really hungry, that's my stomach growling..Mmybe Arby's they're real fast & I can eat it in in the car, don't order fries & only eat 1/2 the sandwich, mmm Sonic haven't had that in a long time, close to home no tater tots" (pull car over, use mfp app on phone) "410 cal chili dog, yikes! Arby's 640, eat 1/2 320, that's an expensive sandwich to throw away. Really? do you think you can actually do that, last time didn't work out so well, think smart, think smart ... Subway?? 380 if I get my norm, eh, had that yesterday, okay, make a decision go right Arby's go left Sonic, hmmm Sonic's close to home could just go home & have soup, low in calories really filling, think I bought the light one this time, what if I bought regular? I'm really hungry, Wait, that could take awhile & I'll get distracted. Subway, gotta get out & go inside, not quick enough, really hot outside. Turn left? no Arby's choice narrowed to home & Sonic... left again Sonic at the entrance to our subdivision, less than a mile to the house, soup good, Sonic not so much, (turning) go left mmm, go straight, make a good decision, come on Cat you can do this... Quick decide.... (turned left). Mmmmm chili cheese dog is sooo good, I'll make a better choice tomorrow. No fast food"

If you followed this thought process you've done it too. It's just amazing the drama I go thru in my head just deciding what to eat for lunch. I mean really?? If it all works out well & I live 20 more years I'll have to make that decision over 7,000 more times just for lunches.

Am I totally nuts? Do we all go thru this or should I get a magic 8 ball to make this process easier?
    Tomorrow's a new day & that's my mantra... one day, one meal, one bite... whatever it takes to live better.

That happens to me on "cheat days". I've gotta learn to cut it out.

14877786.png
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That's why I pack my breakfast, snacks, and lunch for work. The trouble it takes the night before is better than going through the what-to-get dilemma on a daily basis.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    NO, you aren't nuts! We all go through this. Last night I debated in my head for 30 minutes before I finally decided what to snack on. To try and keep myself from stopping for fast food when I'm running errands I always try and have a healthy snack before I leave the house, or have a drink I can sip on to keep me distracted.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options

Calories are not everything. Where they come from is important. Your calories should come mostly from protein and fiber. Some fat, but only about 30%. I feel like I would be safe in assuming that the chili dog had more fat calories than the subway (depending on what "the usual" is)

I think she was talking about the batte within...
    The whole is this better for me?
    Does this constitute bad?
    How fast is this going to kill me? Will I enjoy it as much as the other meal?
    What is gonna kill my hunger and not leave me unsatisfied later?

I personally went with the 400 calorie cupcakes..
    200 calores less than yesterday's mcdonalds
    And 140 more than a protein shake with a banana and extra protein.
    LOL But I didn't really care.

But I Totally know the struggle within and the guilt after for making the wrong decision which is why its so important to make the right decision in the first place.

And yeah I've totally had that battle in my head before. Lifestyle choices in creating new bodies for ourselves is anxiety ridden and fact based. 30 calories difference---where did that 30 calories come from? A sonic chili dog, def in fat.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    omg i do this ALL the time!! on the way to get something to eat when i'm starving and in line when im ordering!! I just did it today, my tummy was rumbling and deep fried ravioli was just a block away from being in my face but i had some apple slices and goldfish crackers that i'd brought with me for lunch. normally i totally cave tho and go for the fatty lunch but today i resisted!!....so far lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've had those days too. I try to plan ahead where possible, but that doesn't always work out. I would suggest, if you have a place to store it, that you keep some healthy food at work. I do it all the time. There is always something at my desk for me to eat.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life. Sometimes when I open my mouth to order, the correct choice comes out. Other times, a Double Double animal style somehow slips out. It is really better for me to lug around a cooler of lunch and snack options than to even consider eating out, especially when I am really hungry.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ive had this conversation on many occasions.
  • mlynnea03
    mlynnea03 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

LOL, that's me.