I really want to donate blood but......

Options
A few years back I passed out after I was done donating. It really frieked me out and now I am scared to do it again. I am O- which is a type that is used alot so I know that I should. They are having a drive today at State Fair Park and I want to feel confident that I can do it. When I passed out last time I had eaten in the morning and always drink lots of water. Is there some other words of advice that anyone can give? I know I should just do it and now that I know what it feels like to pass out I shouldn't be scared, but I am.

Replies

• Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My gynae told me that some people feel faint after seeing their own blood
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Take a friend for support
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    Options
    Don't look while they are taking the blood and try think about something else!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell the people what happened last time. Don't get up for a while and drink lots of the juices they have to offer.
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Take as long as you need to lie there. Do not rush to get up...........from the table.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I get too many tattoos. They wont take my blood. LOL.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    aw i feel your pain! im o- too and they call me and practically force me to donate, i ALWAYS pass out, have you looked into your iron intake? maybe have some total that morning or something i think iron plays into it a lot because when i pass out they have to test me a lot for iron because its so low
  • 1swalls
    1swalls Posts: 2
    Options
    You should only do it if you feel comfortable doing it. That being said, it could have been just a freak occurrence. I used to donate all the time and this one time I got really faint. There wasn't really an explanation for it; that's just how it affected me that day and it never happened again.

If you do go, you can let the nurses know in advance that you passed out before and that you're nervous. They'll take extra-special care of you. They can also tilt your chair back and give you a cold cloth so you're less likely to feel faint.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree with no looking. For years I was able to give blood and watch. But for some reason, now if I look, I get faint. Doesn't make sense, but....
  • luckykirstar
    luckykirstar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also passed out my first time and it scared me. But, I pushed myself to go back and told the nurse I had passed out the first time. They were great for giving me tips like making sure my legs were raised a bit and that I wasn't making a fist too tight. That slowed my blood flow and they made me say seated for about 10 minutes after so I didn't get up too quick. I know donate once every few months and it's a great feeling.

Hope that helps!
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    be sure to eat plenty and drink lots.. some people just don't fair as well. i'm a habitual donor.. sometimes i get lightheaded. just tell them you passed out last time, and this time they'll give you more time to sit upright before getting up. its because of a drop in blood pressure when you sit up that causes you to pass out.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You have every right to be scared. Passing out after donating can be very scary. If you would like to try donating again you should let the interviewer know that you passed out last time to make sure that they take extra care of you. Also, when getting up after donating take it slow and easy. Make sure you have your equilibrium about you before you move. Don't rush through the donation process - some people squeeze and donate a little too quick and that will make you feel lightheaded. Make sure you do have a good breakfast (i.e. protein, carbs, fiber, etc.). Above all good luck if you choose to do it again.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i really want to skydive.. but i'm scared of heights....SO, I DON"T DO IT... ?? simple
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me the last time I donated as well. I usually have no problem, but for some reason, as soon as they took out the needle and had me sit up, I passed out. I think it was from not eating enough. I was on my diet and waited just a little too long before eating something. I had lots of water and pizza after and felt much better. Maybe eat a slightly heavier meal than usual right before going and you should be fine.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Relax, try not to think about what they're doing, take deep breaths. When' you're done don't get up straight away, take your time, move slowly and drink whatever they offer you and biscuits, eat plenty of them, they're your treat for being amazing! :-)
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm a lab assistant. If you tell them that you're a fainter, then they should let you lie down while they take your blood. It usually helps depending on the reason you pass out.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I would love to donate blood but there's a weight limit and last time I went they refused me.
  • judgepd
    judgepd Posts: 1
    Options
    i really want to skydive.. but i'm scared of heights....SO, I DON"T DO IT... ?? simple

It seems a shame not to encourage someone to do something as amazing as giving blood.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Know that you are saving a life, that should sustain you through the process.

DONATING BLOOD SAVES LIVES!
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    But knowing that there are so many people out there that could use my blood I feel that it is the least I could do.