I really want to donate blood but......

Options

Replies

• aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also donated for years without problems then fainted one day and was scared to give again for years. I recently donated for the first time since the fainting episode and all went well.

For me, all I had eaten before donating the day I fainted was peanut butter toast. That was not enough food. I learned that I need to only donate after lunch when I've had a hearty meal and lots of water. Also, the day I fainted I started feeling slightly nauseated while the blood was coming out. I stupidly ignored that feeling, it was the first sign. Now I know to always pay close attention to how I'm feeling through the whole process and to speak up if something doesn't feel right. They will take you very seriously.

In fact, the last thing I remember before I fainted was saying, "I feel nauseous" and the lady reclining the bed and turning a fan on me. I thought, "gosh, she's really over reacting" and next thing I know I was waking up to the stinky stuff under my nose.

Anyway, I know it's scary to try again but just think of all the successful donations you made. And don't have any commitments for after the donation in case you feel yucky and just want to go home. :)
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Don't watch while they do it. Maybe it was the sight that made you faint. My blood group is quite rare (B Negative) but am unable to give blood as I had to have a transfusion after having my little girl. Would've thought it would be safer these days but hey ho!
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Fisrt time only you may have those type of problems, but starting from second time it will be OK, don't worry.......
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell the people what happened last time. Don't get up for a while and drink lots of the juices they have to offer.

This. Let them know, and they will walk you to the next place to sit and keep an eye on you. This happened to my sister in law twice, but she donates regularly and all the other times, has had no problems. I guess it just happens sometimes.

Oh, and i am O- also. I need to find a blood drive and donate again too. :)
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually eat just before I go, and drink plenty of water.

Also, while the donation is happening, lying down on the bed cross and uncross your legs all the time and clench your butt cheeks for a few seconds, release and repeat.

It sounds ridiculous but they are exercises to get the blood pumping around your whole body. The reason you pass out is lack of blood to the head, hence why the feet get elevated.
    If you do those exercises perhaps having the blood being circulated better will prevent you from fainting!

P.S. I donate as often as possible. My 2 year old niece has Diamond Blackfan Anaemia and needs blood transfusions every 4-5 weeks so I really believe in the important of donating.
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm actually donating this morning at the same place! Tons, and tons of water. I get a pretty bad headache every time I donate, and that stopped me from donating for a while, but then I figured that the people who needed the blood have a lot worse problems than a headache, and I've donated every 6 weeks ever since. Make sure you take your time leaving. Stand up and walk around in the building for a while, drink some more water, take it easy when you get home.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Please donate blood. Due to health reasons I cannot, but wish that I could. My parents survived a head on car crash (kids going the wrong way on a major Canadian highway) partly because they received the blood they needed.
    I hate needles. Is it the needle, or the loss of blood, or the idea of it that gets to you?
    Talk to the staff and tell them your history. They have had lots of experience with people in the same boat.
    Many thanks from those of us who cannot donate. You save lives.
    "The life you save may be your own."
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you for donating. As everyone has been saying just make sure that you let the technician know that you passed out last time; they'll appreciate you making them aware. And make sure you eat a lot before you go so you're blood sugar is stable. And I would drink lots of juice: it's one of the only times you can drink juice and eat cookies and pretzels for a good cause!

Good luck next time!!
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    See it like i do,

You're not giving blood, you're saving a life!

My father in law gave platelets, and I was able to find out, they were for my friends mother who has cancer. He saved her life
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    Know that you are saving a life, that should sustain you through the process.

DONATING BLOOD SAVES LIVES!
    I know! I know! I just have to push myself and do it. I know it's a good thing, and following everyone's advice here the folks that are taking care of me should be able to help me through it.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm O- as well. I get calls all the time to give. Fortunately I've never had this problem, but there are people at the drive that it happens to. I think you'd be surprised how often this happens to people. The nurse that i was talking with about it said that it happens so often most of the time they just deal with it and don't think anything else of it. I guess from my stand point i wouldn't let it get to me. Do whatever you think is right.

On a side note: I give double red when possible. I have noticed that it doesn't feel like it takes as much out of me when they do it. Might ask around as I'm no Dr. or Nurse.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Eat right before you go (protein and a fruit are my typical) and drink a ton of water. Then make sure you drink juice or a pop while in the chair. And I agree, tell them what happened before so they can keep an eye on you. And of course, don't look at the needle.

Forgot to say that I'm also O- and am giving today too at my church in Indiana. Perhaps we need an MFP blood donation challenge!
  • jmpetros
    jmpetros Posts: 10
    Options
    Drink lots of water ...easier for them to find veins. Ask to lie flat the entire time you donate and slowly change positions. Make sure they know u faint. It helps me if I drink a sprite while I donate. Also try to distract yourself...it helps if you are listening to music watching Tv etc. Hope it helps.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I used to donate regularly when I was younger. The last time I donated I passed out, they had to call my husband to pick me up and take me home and I was so weak I couldn't sit upright for 4 days. I'm on the thanks but no thanks list now. :-( I actually miss doing it and have thought about tempting fate but hubby forbids it now.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Tell the nurse what happened last time, ask her to come over when you have about five mins left and tell you to bring your knees up, feet flat on the cot. that'll help keep your BP up. also, she'll stay with you to the table - go for the juice, not the water, you'll need the sugar spike. this is how my mom has to do it and she hasn't passed out since the first time.

and THANK YOU for donating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Drink a large orange juice the morning you are going to donate. This will raise your iron level an lessen the risk of light headedness. And after you give, eat the cookies or crackers they offer!! This is not a time to diet.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    I get too many tattoos. They wont take my blood. LOL.

you can give blood having tattoos you just cant have a fresh one!! you cant give blood straight away for 4 months after having it done

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-cant-give-blood/

it will jsut make it harder to find a vein if your arms are covered!! :laugh:
  • wandakusa
    wandakusa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to let them know what happened the last time and also NOT to watch when they stick you with the needle. Also try to take someone supportive along with you. Its summer time and donations are low so try to donate if you can.
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    Please donate blood. Due to health reasons I cannot, but wish that I could. My parents survived a head on car crash (kids going the wrong way on a major Canadian highway) partly because they received the blood they needed.
    I hate needles. Is it the needle, or the loss of blood, or the idea of it that gets to you?
    Talk to the staff and tell them your history. They have had lots of experience with people in the same boat.
    Many thanks from those of us who cannot donate. You save lives.
    "The life you save may be your own."
    I was actually fine with the entire process and it wasn't until after I was done and sat up and looked around that it got to me. I didn't think it was the sight of blood, because I haven't had that kind of reaction to other things (my step-son almost cut his finger completely off and I didn't faint) but I guess it could have been.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Giving blood is a positive thing in so many ways. You literally save lives and it is very beneficial for your body. I would do it. Eat before hand, drinks lots of water and if you pass out, then hey! you tried. It only takes your body 24 hours to recreate the red blood cells you lost and if something does happen, it will not last very long. You will recover quickly from doing a great thing (or you may feel fine!)

I have given over 10 times and have had a variety of reactions. I have felt fine and even exercised a few hours later and I have completely passed out cold. I have found the more I eat and drink a few hours before hand the easier it is on me. I always try and make sure the rest of my day is easy when I give blood, just in case I feel weak. And if I feel fine, then its a relaxing day for me :)

I also want to take a moment to encourage all males out there to donate blood. It is extremely beneficial to your heart and circulatory systems. Ladies have a monthly cycle that, while actual blood loss is very small, it does force our bodies to recreate blood cells. This obviously does not happen for the guys out there. New blood cells encourage more oxygen and nutrient flow to muscles. It also encourages cell and organ tissue repair. Guys- get out there and give! And ladies- drag your guy along!