How to eat more protein

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I thought I had my macros set to 40/30/30 and I usually hit my protein targets. But yesterday I realized that a while ago when I switched from aiming for a 2 lb loss to a 1 lb loss, it switched my macros back to the default. So I changed them back yesterday and came no where NEAR hitting my protein goal. I don't love meat, so it's hard to get in that much protein (because of my run yesterday, my target was 137 grams). I only got in 88 and that was after having two portions of meat for dinner.

So, is a protein shake the best way to do it? And if so, what ones taste good?

Replies

• natzkj
    natzkj Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Cottage cheese
  • boldonbiglad
    boldonbiglad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    PHD Diet Whey is very good for getting protein without the calories. The Vanilla and Strawberry are superb.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    A protein shake can help get the protein in. I recently stopped eating meat and have been experimenting with various protein shakes.

I found a vanilla flavoured one (Muscle Maxx) that is awesome! Somewhat sweet so I don't use the full two scoop serving size that it suggests. Body Fortress is alright too (I have the chocolate one) however straight I'm not fond of the taste. I mixed it today one scoop of the chocolate with a scoop of the vanilla in milk/water and it was great!

If you like beans those add protein too. I love chickpeas and add them to salads, make hummus as a dip, roast them.. tons of ways. You can also add cheese, milk, quinoa, etc.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    PHD Diet Whey is very good for getting protein without the calories. The Vanilla and Strawberry are superb.

Where do you get that?
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein too. I make protein shakes for breakfast that have 27-30 grams of protein. Some other non meat ways to get protein are greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, beans, edamame, natural pb. I don't reach my goal of 150, but I do get over 100 grams everyday.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, chicken stuff, turkey stuff (unless you're lumping those into meat).
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You can make a protein shake with Whey protein and greek yogurt. You can get almost 35g of protein in 1 shake. I like Nature's Plus keto slim its 110 calories for a packet and has almost 20g of protein. I add bananas and strawberries.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I do love eggs so I need to make some hard boiled eggs ahead of time. I have a greek yogurt every morning for breakfast and usually 28 almonds for a snack at some point during the day. I did have baked beans with dinner last night too.
  • mrswarrick
    mrswarrick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition. Chocolate, rocky road, and caramel toffee fudge are good. I did not like cookies and cream. I hear they have a chocolate coconut, I'm eager to find. The stats are 130 cals, 4 carbs, 1.4 g fat, and 24 g protein. I mix it with Almond plus protein (unsweetened) milk (so delicious brand) adding 40 calories, 2 grams fat, 1 carb, and 5 g protein. I buy it at GNC when it's on sale.

Good luck!
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love eating boiled eggs, protein bars and protein shakes
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Beans!
    Chickpeas
    Romano beans
    Black beans
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    I started mixing about half a scoop of protein powder into my serving of natural Greek yoghurt. Both are very high in protein, and I thought, why waste calories on a whole other dairy product if I'm going to be eating yoghurt anyway? It tastes very nice with vanilla - although I can't deny that I do like the yoghurt plain.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, chicken stuff, turkey stuff (unless you're lumping those into meat).

Excellent ideas!
    I also use liquid egg whites or liquid egg substitutes to reduce cholesterol intake. They are available in the cold dairy /egg section at grocery stores. They come in little milk carton containers.
    Greek yogurt is wonderful!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh I also like protein pancakes
    1 cup oats
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup non fat vanilla greek yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking powder.

Put all in blender and blend until smooth. Cook like regualr pancakes. You can add in fruit liked chopped apples or mashed bananas, and veggies like pumpkin puree and shredded carrot to make different flavors too.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Doing the protein bump
  • etrader24
    etrader24 Posts: 21
    Options
    protein shakes are great for you, they are incredible for your metabolism. in my opinion, the peaunut butter chocolate of the gnc brand is the best, it tastes like a knockoff reces cup. good luck! (:
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mushroooms, almonds, nuts, yogurt, soy, tofu.. lots!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yeah protein powders are def the best way to get the added protein in. I like Body Fortress in vanilla. tastes really yummy. You can add it to shakes/smoothies, yogurt, put it in pancake/muffin/cake batter.... some ppl use it as creamer in their coffee.... possibilities are great!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh I also like protein pancakes
    1 cup oats
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup non fat vanilla greek yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking powder.

Put all in blender and blend until smooth. Cook like regualr pancakes. You can add in fruit liked chopped apples or mashed bananas, and veggies like pumpkin puree and shredded carrot to make different flavors too.

This sounds delicious !