• Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS chocolate whey protein podwer, it taste AWESOME
    26g of protein par 1 serving (2 scoops)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these tips. Keep them coming!!!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Would love more suggestions as well!
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do green smoothy's with greek yogurt. I stay fuller longer without feeling like I am eating a meal.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I make a up a batch of Greek yogurt with protein powder and coconut oil (I like the fats) every Sunday night - I do about a half a tub of Chobani and three scoops of Muscle Milk (I like chocolate in plain yogurt or vanilla in my vanilla - I double up on that one, 'cos I really like vanilla). I eat about a cup of that every morning, and it's pretty much awesome for me.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of milk
  • moonfire628
    Options
    Most dairy products have a little bit of protein, so anything like cottage cheese and yogurt would be good, plain Greek yogurt is the best when it comes to yogurt. I like to sweeten mine with a little bit of dried cranberries. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, and so are beans. I just started taking a protein shake post-workout so I don't have much advice there, but if you need extra protein a shake or bar probably would be a good supplement. If you do go that route, anything like SlimFast or Special K is garbage, go for something you would find at GNC, which you can usually get on Amazon for cheaper.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump-great ideas!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I use whey powder as supplement, mostly as an adjust to lower-protein meals.

But I'd like to address your assumption about needing to hitting 130 when you exercise. For the record, MFP scales up *all* the macros equally when you exercise. but I don't follow that. I still shoot for the same 130/day (1g per lb LBM) and if I meet that I am satisfied. You don't get heavier when you exercise, you just burn more calories, and that can come from anywhere.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Just go buy some "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standar" and drink it after your workout with something else.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    bump
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I like my protein shakes. I have a cookies and cream flavor that I make a nice fruit protein shake with milk, so I am getting a blast of protein. Also eggs are a good source as well as meat and fish.
  • DonnaCW
    DonnaCW Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most Americans get plenty of protein in their diets, you usually don't have to go looking for it.
    How much protein do I need?

In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.2

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein Grams of protein needed each day

Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein Grams of protein needed each day

Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

Screw the RDA, the RDA made me fat. Once I threw that out the window, and stopped eating 300g of carbs per day, 40 pounds melted off.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has thrown out most of the major ones already, the key thing is; it should not be a challenge to meet or exceed your protein intake. On 2500 calories I take in anywhere from 200 to almost 300g of protein a day, that means for ever 10 calories I get at least a gram of protein.

Build your meals with a protein base, then add veggies to that, whatever you have left from a calorie standpoint should be your carbs and good fats.

Look for protein rich sources of carbs too (Almonds, Soybeans, Quinoa, cracked wheat, black beans, brown/black rice).

Chicken breast, tuna, salmon etc will be your heavy hitters as far as good meat sources of protein. If you're not a hippie, calf liver is awesome for protein as well as nutrients (sooo much Vitamin A, B, Zinc etc).

Of course you can also supplement, whey powder, hemp powder and the like.

Feel free to poke around my diary for ideas.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    drink a glass of milk

I drink milk nearly every day. Not enough protein in that to make a huge difference.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I use whey powder as supplement, mostly as an adjust to lower-protein meals.

But I'd like to address your assumption about needing to hitting 130 when you exercise. For the record, MFP scales up *all* the macros equally when you exercise. but I don't follow that. I still shoot for the same 130/day (1g per lb LBM) and if I meet that I am satisfied. You don't get heavier when you exercise, you just burn more calories, and that can come from anywhere.

I was wondering about that myself - whether protein should really be scaled up with the other macros. Since MFP just uses a flat percentage, it makes sense it would upscale everything.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    What kind of protein recommendations do people suggest? I too think the RDA is too low, but I'm not currently doing strength training/building muscle. Yes, I know I should be, and I'm thinking I'll start this fall - cardio is so much easier for me because I can do it anywhere any time and I have three young kids LOL. I can't join a gym and haven't found a strength program at home that I like (all I have is some small dumb bells and no room for much else - I downloaded the app be your own gym but haven't really tried it yet).

So right now, my typical daily allowance of protein is around 90 grams.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hmmm,m, tuna!!!!!