tdee??!?

Options
What in the heck does TDEE mean? I'm having a hard.time understanding it... Should be eating a different amount of calories? I havent lost in about a week..

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You wake up in the morning and brush your teeth, eat breakfast or not, get dressed, go to work, do your work thing, come home, do 500 jumping jacks, feed the fam, brush your teeth, go to bed.

You just burned 2400 calories.
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure was 2400.

Eating anything less than this will help you lose weight.

BMR, the amount of baseline calories needed for vital organ function, is the absolute lowest amount of cals you should consume per day...if you stay in bed...
  • cheergirl1993
    cheergirl1993 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So since I'm eating 1200 cal and excercising why aren't I losing?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Because unless you are 4'11" you shouldnt eat 1200 cals.
    Read the link on my profile to get your numbers right.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    Thank you I will check it out!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    If you have any questions let me know.
    It's simpler than you think and you can eat a ton more and lose weight.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    Ok it.is.saying I should eat 1721 cal a day... That is.a big.jump from now
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Just dont log your workouts or if you do, log them as 1cal burns.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    I'm sorry this may sound like a dumb question but what does that help?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5''. I ate 1,200 for two months, didn't lose a pound. Increase to 1,450-1,500, weight melted off.

Started Jillian (30DS, Ripped), didn't lose a pound in a month. But lost inches.

My advice is A) take measurements, and B) figure out your BMR and don't eat less than that. My BMR is about 1,470. I honestly did not lose a single lick of weight at 1,200 calories. It's just too little. I stay under my TDEE, but above BMR.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It really does seem to work - i lost 32 in 2 months, then it stopped as MFP dropped my cals to 1700. For a month, nothing really lost. I went and found my BMR & TDEE and upped my cals to 20% less than TDEE, but always aim to eat over my BMR and started weight loss again.

Basically, dropping too low in cals make your body go into storage mode over burning. Up the intake and your body will leave the storage and go back into burning mode.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Excuse me? Dont log your workouts???....this makes no sense.

If the regular routine for life does NOT contain workouts, then your TDEE is your BMR. TDEE = BMR+Exercise Burn. If one starts working out when they normally do not, then they need to log the exercise and eat the calories. If not, the same result as with not enough based on BMR alone...your body goes to starvation mode.
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    So should I up my intake all the way to 1700?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Excuse me? Dont log your workouts???....this makes no sense.

If the regular routine for life does NOT contain workouts, then your TDEE is your BMR. TDEE = BMR+Exercise Burn. If one starts working out when they normally do not, then they need to log the exercise and eat the calories. If not, the same result as with not enough based on BMR alone...your body goes to starvation mode.

Because Dan is not suggesting she eat just BMR. He is suggesting that she eat 20% less than TDEE which includes exercise.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Shouldn't we be logging everything we eat and drink plus our workouts?
  • jenrusow
    jenrusow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When you make the change in calories based on TDEE and BMR, do you notice a gain at first? I'm curious about trying this but really do not want to see a gain....
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I'm confused. Shouldn't we be logging everything we eat and drink plus our workouts?

Depends on how you are using this site. If you let MFP calculate your target calories, then yes, log your workouts and eat back some or all of your exercise calories.

If you do your own calculations on a reduction of calories from TDEE then do not log your workouts, or if you do, don't eat back exercise calories.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    When you make the change in calories based on TDEE and BMR, do you notice a gain at first? I'm curious about trying this but really do not want to see a gain....

I did not gain. It just took about a month to see any downward movement.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you are using this site. If you let MFP calculate your target calories, then yes, log your workouts and eat back some or all of your exercise calories.
    If you do your own calculations on a reduction of calories from TDEE then do not log your workouts, or if you do, don't eat back exercise calories.

Ahhhh. Gotcha. Thanks!
  • cheergirl1993
    Options
    Yes I am worried that if I up the calories I will gain ......
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It also depends on levels of accuracy. I (usually) log every last little calorie in and out BUT I log food carefully (to the gram) and I am fairly sure I know a decent level of calories burned/minute for my most common exercises. I set my MFP activity level as sedentary since I'm not including exercise in that calorie calculation.

Of course being compulsive isn't for most people, and I'm aware that plenty of folks lose weight without logging anything at all.

All in all, your mileage literally varies..