Low fat cream cheese..and other food abominations

Options
I have bought "light" before, and although it's not really as good as normal kind..it's certainly edible. So...I decide to go for the 95% fat free (20 cals a tbsp) kind, since I LOVE cream cheese..figure I can have a bit of a larger portion right???

Ok...this stuff is INEDIBLE!!! It's GRITTY, tastes kind of sour...a total waste of 3 dollars.

How the heck can they sell that stuff in good conscious and even call it "cream cheese"?

I should have known better...haha.

So..what "diet" version food have you tried...and quickly realized "hell no...".

Replies

• DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I actually like the 95% fat free use it in caserolles, mix it with salsa, sometimes I misse it iwth garlic and dill , I like it. To each his own.
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    String cheese. I don't remember the brand but it was 40% less fat or something? Oh god, it was HORRIBLE.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try the laughing cow cream cheese wedges. Not bad
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get the Weight Watchers individual cups of cream cheese, they taste great and keep me from using too much. I'm not even on Weight Watchers lol
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat almost nothing that is "Diet" or "Reduced Fat." I do drink diet cola and iced tea, and use Ken's "Light" vinegarettes on my salads. Otherwise I just eat less of the full fat stuff - Ice Cream, Milk, Mayo, Butter, Cheese. I'd rather have a smaller portion of something that tastes really good to me than a larger portion of something I don't like very much.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll buy reduced fat dairy products except ice cream. A lot of diet foods have crap I can't pronounce, therefor I don't want to put in my body or feed my family.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Since I'm on a low caerb diet, NOTHING. Bwahahahahahaha!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise! Anything but good, old-fashioned Best Foods (Hellman's on the other side of the Rockies) just makes me want to hurl. Ugh. ((shudder))
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.

I get what you're saying and I agree. However. you really need to be careful with the "c" word (chemicals). EVERYTHING is chemicals. Even water, H2O...dihydrogen monoxide..is a "chemical". "chemicals" are only bad for you if they interact with and affect the body in a harmful way. Some very natural "chemicals" are lethal, whereas some synthetic ones are beneficial. It's important to know the difference.

Point taken, however I'm pretty sure I don't need to be taking in any FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE when I eat peanut butter. Especially when a search for the term brings up West Bengal Chemical Industries as a top search hit for that term. I think I'll stick to peanuts and salt.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Anything by Walden Farms. Blech.
  • mfpiecuch
    mfpiecuch Posts: 3
    Options
    Try one of the Laughing Cow cheeses....low fat, low calorie, very creamy and tasty...lots of good flavors to choose from.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms - 35 calorie blue cheese dressing - never again. To be fair, the ranch was great, but that blue cheese was nastay.

Oh I also forgot that Breyer's 1/2 the fat ice cream is the WORST. It crumbles into a million little pieces, you can't even scoop it out right unless you let it melt on the counter. It also tastes like *kitten*.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fat free sour cream and mayo. EW. I'd rather just cut the SC and mayo out altogether and subsititute because smaller quantities don't always work for recipes.

Oh, also margarine. NAST. A little real butter never hurt anybody.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    reduced fat = ok
    non-fat = gross

except butter and peanut butter
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I find any fat free dairy product is nasty