Low fat cream cheese..and other food abominations

Options

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms - 35 calorie blue cheese dressing - never again. To be fair, the ranch was great, but that blue cheese was nastay.

I absolutely love the Bolthouse Farms blue cheese dressing, so to each their own, I guess!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Any kind of cheese or dairy product usually will be disgusting if it's low fat. Yogurt I can stand low fat or non fat though. Frozen yogurt isn't bad at all low fat, imo, and I actually like skim milk if it's organic.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    RAPESEED

:indifferent:
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    reduced fat = ok
    non-fat = gross

except butter and peanut butter

This! Margarine has bad bad evil trans fats, so it's olive oil or butter for me 100% of the time, unless a recipe calls for canola oil which I have somewhere in a cupboard.
  • chelseyjoan
    chelseyjoan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    gluten free caesar dressing, 0 cals
    smelt like feet and butt, and tasted even worse.. if that's possible!!
    :noway:
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.

I can pronounce all of that. It must be healthier for me than it is for you. Perhaps if you go to college and take a few biology, chemistry and human anatomy and physiology classes it will be healthier for you as well. Actually. If you take a single medical terminology course with a teacher worth half the air they breathe you will be able to pronounce it within the first week.

That is a dumb argument. It's a logical fallacy to say that things you can't pronounce are bad for you because 'pronounceability' has no bearing on health.

Funny enough, I have a hard time finding anyone who can pronounce resveratrol but apparently it's good-for-you-and-no-one-doubts-that-and-it's-scientifically-proven-doesn't-matter-if-I-can-pronounce-it-or-not!!!!!1
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Anything by Walden Farms. Blech.

^^^^^^^^This times a million. Fat free, calorie free, sugar free...tastes like butt.

Laughing Cow is awesome though. Light done right.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I find the sainsbury's Lighter range of cream cheeses are reaalllyy nice, I'm hooked on thwe cracked black papper version atm (about 40cals per serving I think?). I think I actually prefer their reduced fat cream cheese to the normal full fat Philadelphia stuff, I prfer the texture personally.
    Also Ben&Jerry's Cherry Garcia frozen yopghurt. H-E-A-V-E-N.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Sounds horrible. Since a good ceaser dressing should be gluten free by nature, I'll stick to the full fat flavorful varieties :)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Diet soda - blech! I'd rather just not drink any soda at all.

Fat free ranch dressing

Fat free cottage cheese -- not a good taste and higher sodium than low fat or full fat.

I have learned to like skim milk but it took years.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    string cheese. The light one is so disgustingly dry and terrible!
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.

I can pronounce all of that. It must be healthier for me than it is for you. Perhaps if you go to college and take a few biology, chemistry and human anatomy and physiology classes it will be healthier for you as well. Actually. If you take a single medical terminology course with a teacher worth half the air they breathe you will be able to pronounce it within the first week.

That is a dumb argument. It's a logical fallacy to say that things you can't pronounce are bad for you because 'pronounceability' has no bearing on health.

^ What they said. Not to mention, to the person who posted that - go look at your makeup bag or cleaning products. bet you can't pronounce half of that either and yet that still goes all over your body and in the air. If you're concerned about a chemical, look it up. But remember that most things ahve been through rigourous checks,a dn are also present in tiny quantites!
    What I'd be most concerned about in that ingredients list are the (pronouncable) corn syrup - simple sugars, never a good thing - and the hydrogenated vegetable fats, which I also know are bad for you.
  • ConstableOdo
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

^ What they said. Not to mention, to the person who posted that - go look at your makeup bag or cleaning products. bet you can't pronounce half of that either and yet that still goes all over your body and in the air. If you're concerned about a chemical, look it up. But remember that most things ahve been through rigourous checks,a dn are also present in tiny quantites!
    What I'd be most concerned about in that ingredients list are the (pronouncable) corn syrup - simple sugars, never a good thing - and the hydrogenated vegetable fats, which I also know are bad for you.

I like to make the argument that everything from Aresenous Acid to Zyklon B are good for me because I can pronounce them all.

Also. People, if you are worried do real research. Don't go to "coconutsaregoodforyou.com" if you want to know if coconuts are good for you. "Naturalfoodsarethewaytogo.org" is always going to tell you that natural foods are good for you. Look up the chemicals in a fair and balanced way. Read scientific, peer-reviewed journals. Educate yourself.
  • Marll
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

So wait, your argument is better because you can pronounce these things (by the way I'm more than educated enough to pronounce these things as well, no need for the thinly veiled "Duh Hurr, you must be stoopid" argument)? So as an educated person yourself, I'm sure you can interperet from my post that what I mean is that WHY add anything to food when you don't need to? My example stands on it's own, peanuts and salt are less likely to *kitten* up the balanced machine that is the human body with unnecessary junk that was added for the attempt at making something that's been altered by humans more palatable once they've strangled all the natural oils, fats, flavor and nutrients out of something.

I'm all for science, but when applying science to food, you just get generally unhealthy garbage, preservatives and other additives that do nothing at best and harm at worst to those consuming it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'll buy reduced fat dairy products except ice cream. A lot of diet foods have crap I can't pronounce, therefor I don't want to put in my body or feed my family.

Yes - reduced fat CAN be good ..... until they screw it up by adding "super-fake fat" or extra sugar to make up for what they took out. You really have to look at labels.

2% cheese is just fine. OK it's not as creamy as full fat, but so what?

Ice cream - can go either way. Edy's Slow Churned is good, Dairy Queen (ice milk) is good too ....just don't add all the fake tasting stuff. It's OK if it's not a creamy.

When a product is basically ALL fat (cream cheese) ... and they make it fat-free .... that's a disaster waitng to happen (IMO). Fat-free mayo ... blech!

Reduced fat peanut butter .... come on .... you save like 5 calories a tablespoon (added sugar ... and what else!?)
  • Marll
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

I'll agree with some of what you have said. Corn syrup and hydrogenated vegtable oils ARE horrible, and again, are man made food abominations. These things do not occur normally in nature. So again, why take something that is perfectly good, break it down, remove things that are part of it's normal makeup and ADD other stuff back in?
  • ConstableOdo
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

So wait, your argument is better because you can pronounce these things (by the way I'm more than educated enough to pronounce these things as well, no need for the thinly veiled "Duh Hurr, you must be stoopid" argument)? So as an educated person yourself, I'm sure you can interperet from my post that what I mean is that WHY add anything to food when you don't need to? My example stands on it's own, peanuts and salt are less likely to *kitten* up the balanced machine that is the human body with unnecessary junk that was added for the attempt at making something that's been altered by humans more palatable once they've strangled all the natural oils, fats, flavor and nutrients out of something.

I'm all for science, but when applying science to food, you just get generally unhealthy garbage, preservatives and other additives that do nothing at best and harm at worst to those consuming it.

The problem with the argument is that is promotes ignorance. If people continue to use arguments like these are the end-all, be-all of nutrition wisdom, then other people will believe it. My point was that it was a bad argument. I hate bad arguments. They make you look dumb and when they become conventional wisdom everyone suffers for it.
  • VSGme
    VSGme Posts: 36 Member
    Options

LOL!!!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Any reduced fat cheese ew! and low fat sour cream just isn't the same. These are all of course on their own. If it was melted into a dish or something like that I can't tell the difference.

But more and more I just eat the real thing instead of low calorie low fat low anything. And any of these low calories desserts with pumpkin (shudder) - YUK
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

AGREE!!!

Duh, hurr.