Getting a raise @ work

TylerJ76
TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
Got a raise today...came out to a whopping $13/week more....is it wrong that this really really p*sses me off???

I realize that I should be lucky I have a job, got a raise, and all that.
Just can't seem to let this this go today for some reason...

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    No one at my job got rasies this year. Be thankful for at least getting something!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Wait until you see what it is after taxes!
  • i asked my boss for a raise and he told me to adjust my seat!!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    I haven't gotten a raise this year either. Last year, I got a raise of $1 per hour. ($160 a month!) Hang in there...
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    the hell with a raise. If I still have a job tomorrow, I will be thrilled. be happy to be employed.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    I'm sure the 25 million people out of work would be happy with your job.....
  • Yes it should pi** you off!!
    I work where our raises are done by percentage. Well I got a whooping .26 an hour raise.
    I feel like that is a huge slap in the face especially when you work your a** off and know you deserve more.

That being said.... I am very happy to have a job when so many people don't.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    You know what ticks me off, is I just found out someone on the floor got a $1.50 raise more than me when she was switched positions, when they gave me the position they said I didn't get a raise because I already made more than the minimum wage for that job...WTF is that all about??
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    i got a raise this year too.. whopping $18 a week...tell u what tho..i hav a one year old and thats a pack of diapers right there..
    i understand both why you're angry and grateful..but it does add up and a raise also means you're diong a great job and more to come in the future. TC Best of luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    My last 2 raises have been for about $600 a piece and they've recently promoted someone less capable and with less experience ahead of me.

Not trying to play a game of who has it worse, but if you want more than that, and believe you deserve it, then you gotta be prepared to negotiate it.

That's the lesson I learned this year, and one I'm taking a stand on.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    I work 40 hours a week no PTO vacation, benefits, nothing, for $9/hr. With a family of 3 to take care of. Be grateful for what you have. My father, who also still has kids at home (family of 5) makes the same amount. You are lucky you have a job that affords raises and recognizes time in the job and progress.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    I got a raise which came up to an extra $300 a month or $75 a week...been waiting on this raise for about 3 years now.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Most jobs don't automatically give you raises, you have to work for them. Wages in the public sector in the UK have been frozen for the next few years, no hope of a raise.
    You have a job that pays you, they don't HAVE to give you a raise. You should be grateful you got a raise full stop - I would never expect a raise in this economical climate unless I'd been promoted, I'd done something spectacular, I'd already been promised a raise or they were giving everyone else raises...

I don't understand how you are annoyed, it's more money not less, would you be this annoyed if raises had never been mentioned?

It kinda is a slap across the face for the thousands of people that would take ANY job for ANY pay, when people in a comfortable job are whining that their RAISE was too little
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Do you think you DESERVE a higher raise? And by that I mean seriously evaluate yourself from the eyes of your employer, co-workers, the amount of work you do and with the skill you do.

If you do think so, ask your boss and tell him that. Nobody will ever give you a raise because you NEED it. They'll give you a raise because you DESERVE it and because you're of that much value to you. The reason min. wage jobs exists is because those folks are very easily replaceable and so they usually start out with min. wage and then work their way up via skill increase and training etc.

If your boss donot want to pay you the appropriate amount you think you're worth, start looking elsewhere for a job. If you cannot find a job, then your boss is using the lack of jobs to his advantage and paying you less than you're worth because he knows you're easily replaceable. If you can find a job opening but can't get in for the wage you think you deserve, then you clearly weren't worth that much to the employer
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    I'm supposed to get a raise every year I work there, but I've never received one. I make $8/hr.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Considering the fact that I just got a job 3 weeks ago, I'm just happy to go to work.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Well, I'm looking forward to my .25 raise if they keep me after three months of working there. I'll take whatever I can get thank you. Even though I get no paid time off and have to work Saturdays. *shrugs*
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Depends. . .what percentage is that and what kind of performance did you have? I'm not saying you're not worth it but you have to be very honest with yourself.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    It is a dangerous move, but I have seen it many times and done it myself.

A raise is always less than a promotion. Promotions within a company are tough. Getting a new job elsewhere that is a promotion for you usually garners a good salary increase. And it is not uncommon for someone to leave a job and then return within a year at a much higher salary because the management finally sees the value they lost and want it back. Of course it can easily work the other way.

Another question to ask yourself: do you generate revenue for the company or do you perform a task? If you are a revenue generator (sales, proposals, bringing in new clients, finding cost savings) then you have WAY more bargaining leverage.

Good luck. And remember that many people are happy at work if they like what they do and who they do it with. The money is usually third on the list.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 1,799 Member
    Yes, be pissed off. Complacency sucks. You already know not to expect them to change it for you, though. \m/