Getting a raise @ work

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    $13 a week is $52 a month. That's an extra tank of gas every month (and then some).

If you don't want the money, I'll take it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I'm extremely fortunate to work for a company that in 50 years of business has never had to lay anyone off. However, due to the economy, we were on a wage freeze for about 2 years where NOBODY got raises, aside from those who were promoted (we are really big on promoting from within, most of our upper levels have been here a loooong time and worked their way up the totem pole). When I got my raise last September, which was a small 4% raise, I was quite pleased. No, it's not a ton of money extra in my pocket, but considering so many people are unemployed or being laid off in this economy---I'll take it.

I don't know what kind of company you work for or what the quality of your work is personally, but I'm pretty sure the many people who are unemployed (people with degrees and years of work experience who can't get a job now that they've been laid off) would be more than happy to take your place.

If you're dissatisfied, work harder/smarter or look for another job. But I highly doubt complaining about the amount of your raise would do much for you in your current position.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    I would kill for even a 1% raise! My job is based on awarding contracts and bidding.....low bid gets the work....
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would kill for even a 1% raise!

I would kill for 1% of a job...
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    As someone who is A) commission based and B) oversees evictions on foreclosures, this does pretty much irritate me. Do you know how many times I hold people while they sob as the locks are changed on their house all because they unexpectedly lost their job months before? Too often.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    my last raise was 0.15/hour...count your blessings....
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Do you think you DESERVE a higher raise? And by that I mean seriously evaluate yourself from the eyes of your employer, co-workers, the amount of work you do and with the skill you do.

If you do think so, ask your boss and tell him that. Nobody will ever give you a raise because you NEED it. They'll give you a raise because you DESERVE it and because you're of that much value to you. The reason min. wage jobs exists is because those folks are very easily replaceable and so they usually start out with min. wage and then work their way up via skill increase and training etc.

If your boss donot want to pay you the appropriate amount you think you're worth, start looking elsewhere for a job. If you cannot find a job, then your boss is using the lack of jobs to his advantage and paying you less than you're worth because he knows you're easily replaceable. If you can find a job opening but can't get in for the wage you think you deserve, then you clearly weren't worth that much to the employer

^^ This...i had a 3000 dollar raise last year, and was paid 8 thousand dollars in bonuses of which one was a 3000 retention bonus (meaning they paid me to not leave them) I didn't get that by just sitting back and letting it happen.

but you HAVE to be worth it, and you HAVE to be able to back it up. I was fortunate in that I was able to show my superiors exactly what I had done, how I had contributed and what my efforts had brought forth in real dollars for the company. As a result they were more than willing to adjust my raise, offer me bonuses and pay out a rentention fee to ensure I didn't leave to a competitor.

It's a tough world out there with a high unemployment rate, so be happy with what you got UNLESS you can verify and back up that you are worth more, and if that is verifiably so then present your case for getting more to your superiors. Just be prepared for a no. Cause no is always an option for them.

This year, since I'm leaving the company, I was very pleased to have my superior come to me with an offer of having my raise paid out on my fiscal first cheque rather than over the course of the year, because he knew I was leaving and felt I deserved the raise. They know what i'm worth and they are appreciative of all I do in spite of the fact that I am leaving the company, but I had to tell them and remind them of that.

It does not happen on its own.

L
  • tmielke74
    tmielke74 Posts: 8
    My last raise 2 years ago was ................25¢ which is $10 per week after taxes it was very little so I just had my job
    put it into the 401k a little something for later. A small raise in my opinion is better than no raise. You can always
    see if the grass is greener on the other side :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I haven't got a raise in almost 2 years, and I was promoted at one point to store manager with the promise of a raise when sales got better.

I may complain about how crappy my job is sometimes, but I have a full time job that will probably never go away (unless we invent cars that don't take gas). Though, I don't have benefits, vacation time or even a LUNCH BREAK. Count your blessings.

ETA: my last "raise" was actually a tax change where I got more every paycheck, but less back in my tax return. So technically, I'm making the same amount.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Every time i see this thread i read it "gettng a RISE at work" .
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    count your blessings.. I haven't had a raise in 5 years.. stupid state budget cuts.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    That's an extra $676/year. If you don't want it, you could always donate it to a charity of your choice every week. They'd be very grateful.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    I haven't gotten a raise in like 5 years...the joys of a state job. Sucks you didn't get much but hey its money you didn't get before.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    It all depends on what the raise if for. Is it for cost of living or merit? If it's cost of living, a few percent is the norm, if that. If it is merit, you may want to ask what you need to do to get more, get promoted etc. Some places don't have anywhere for you to go.

A lot of folks are lucky to be working, and a select few are getting raises. I am fortunate to be one of them.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Got a raise today...came out to a whopping $13/week more....is it wrong that this really really p*sses me off???

I realize that I should be lucky I have a job, got a raise, and all that.
    Just can't seem to let this this go today for some reason...

Yeah you are wrong for being p*ssed off. Try not having a raise in 6 years (all employees). Can you say, Thank you Lord?
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'm sure others have said this, but I haven't had a chance to read through all.

1. If you think you deserve more, bring something to the table to back it up. I walk into my negotiations with a list of the things that I accomplished over the year and how I met or exceeded what they wanted from me at the beginning of the year. eg. No lates within the 12 month period, Exceeded Sales targets by 26% over the course of the year. If they can see that they paid for a well done job, they are more likely to give a raise.

2. Ask your boss what the average raise within the department was - you may be surprised to find out that you weren't too far off average. If you find out that you were higher than the average, you know that for the department you were fairly compensated. If you find out that your raise was lower than average, show interest and ask for feedback for the reasons. My company includes this as a matter of practice for all raise discussions - it might be more difficult for smaller companies to disclose for confidentiality agreements. It might surprise you to know unless your performance was poor, you're likely about average for the company. The way it works for us is that my boss gets a budget for the coming year. He has to decide how to split that - his manager has to review it and approve it and then HR has to review and approve. It really isn't arbitrary in many many cases.

3. Act professionally. I would never tell my coworkers about my raise - the specifics of my employment are meant to be kept confidential (talking about it on an anonymous website is a better idea). Research your industry and understand what is going on. As an example, this year, my raise was around industry standard (a little under cost of living given the challenges with the economy). Know what you should be asking for during negotiations. Start discussing raises prior to the final decision with your boss.

I am grateful every day for my job, but when you feel you're working and getting underpaid, it really can be an irritant. Obviously everyone has struggles and comparing different situations isn't going to help anyone. My final thought: I didn't see any mention of the your performance on the OP or company/industry standards. It's never enough money - and if you can find out where you stand, you'll likely be more at piece with it. Raises are not a given in many many jobs anymore - if companies are forced to lay off to keep doors open, why would they pay their staff more money.

BTW: CONGRATULATIONS ON THE RAISE!!!!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    I haven't gotten a raise in like 5 years...the joys of a state job. Sucks you didn't get much but hey its money you didn't get before.

I really feel you on that. The joy :bigsmile: but retirement is in sight:laugh: :glasses:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    I feel very very grateful whenever I get a raise.

I just got $1.25 increase after only being at this company for 6 months. I'm very proud of myself and grateful to have this happen to me even with it being a state job.

I guess we all appreciate things differently.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    I think some people need to calm down a bit and re-read the OP. He did acknowledge that he is lucky to have a job etc.
    Everyone has different things that annoy them or cause them a bit of stress and a need to rant. I could go on every thread on the site and say "huh, you are lucky to have access to clean water, 1 in 9 people don't you know".
    At the end of the day, no two people have the same problems but I think we need to be forgiving enough to let someone have a little rant about theirs.
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    My husband was made redundant, yesterday. We just bought a house and relocated away from family for work 2 years ago. I hate MITIE