30 Day Shred -- Doesn't Get Results?

Options
Not to discourage those that felt they had good results from the 30 Day Shred, but after doing my second attempt (now that I am serious about losing weight), I have some apprehensions.

I know it burns and it feels good! But I keep looking at before and after photos and I honestly see no different in 98% of the photos. I’m sure the person feels good and different, and they are probably stronger than before. And then I notice that they only lost 5-6 pounds in 35-40 days. As a person who is striving to lose 2 pounds a week, I do not find this impressive (especially since the DVD says 20 pounds in 30 days). Is it just that I have not read the best success stories? I was considering doing 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day off. Does anybody have any suggestions or corrections if I am wrong in my assumption that the results shown from the 30DS have been disappointing. I have heard great results from either 130 lb-ers trying to tone or 200+ lb-ers trying to get a jumpstart. I am 170 (I carry it well) trying to get to 140. I don’t want to waste my time if I think a program will not deliver results. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Note: It also could be that I am afraid the calorie burn isn't the same: ~180 for 30DS versus ~400 on the elliptical. Is this a fallacy?

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you don't think 30 DS will give you the results you want, then do something else, something more intense, like p90x, insanity, etc. It's not easy to lose 2 lbs a week, so you might have to adjust your expectations as well.
  • Kali_NY
    Kali_NY Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello - I am on day 7 of level 1 and really feel like the tape itself isn't going to get me the results Im looking for. The workout is great and Im starting to look tigher all over, but I would follow your suggestion of 2 days JM and 1 day cardio for weight loss. Thats what Im going to start doing now.
  • fishiesintheseaa
    fishiesintheseaa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump - I am also curious about 30 day shred results.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As a pure weight-loss tool, you'll need to do more. However, it definitely tones. I consistently lose lbs from my running routine, but when I did a week of 30DS I dropped a dress size, not more weight. Everything tightens up. So I'd say it's great for toning :)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you don't think 30 DS will give you the results you want, then do something else, something more intense, like p90x, insanity, etc. It's not easy to lose 2 lbs a week, so you might have to adjust your expectations as well.

Well, that was sort of my intention-- is to find out if my assumptions are correct or incorrect, and adjust my expectations accordingly. Thanks for your rec, though, I will look into the other workouts! Not sure if I can handle insanity ;) Maybe I'll splurge on it later on.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    bump. would like to hear about other people's results!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    As a pure weight-loss tool, you'll need to do more. However, it definitely tones. I consistently lose lbs from my running routine, but when I did a week of 30DS I dropped a dress size, not more weight. Everything tightens up. So I'd say it's great for toning :)

That was my thought-- it it best for 130 lb-ers looking to tone?

By the way-- I am on a strict (but good and healthy) 1200 calorie diet. I eat well and often! I also elliptical 30 - 60 minutes a day at the gym, with one off day. Until I plateau, I do not eat back all of my exercise calories (maybe like 40, nothing that really counts, seeing as that everything is an estimate, anyway). I just wanted to mix it up a little so was looking into alternatives to the elliptical (which has helped me lose 15 pounds in 6 weeks. :) I'd still like to see more results, though, even if I change my reoutine! I am an Aries...)
  • chinacat90
    chinacat90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have done 30 day shred, and I saw a lot of toning, i was definitely stronger, and leaner..but only lost a few pounds. I am starting it again, and am going to mix it up with some cardio because as a stand alone workout, it's not going to make you lose the 20 pounds in 30 days. Does it tone and make you lose inches and your clothes fit better..yes. I personally lost about 7 inches total when i did it at the end of last year, only about 4 pounds.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any of those amazing results from 30 DS and it was boring. Ripped in 30 is less boredom inducing, but not sure about really being "ripped" in 30. To lose two pounds a week, you are probably going to need more than a 30 minute circuit training video.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I've seen people get a lot of NSV results... I feel like it's all about inches lost. The first time I attempted it, I got to day 2 of level 3 and things got crazy. Needless to say, I never finished the full 30 days. I only lost 2 lbs, but dropped about 8 inches off my body... I would say those are great results. If you're strictly driven by the numbers on the scale, perhaps it isn't for you. I was happy with my smaller jean size :)

I've since restarted the 30DS yesterday (day 1 level 1) with the intent to fit into smaller clothes... who cares what the scale says if you can see a difference with your clothes and feel a difference in your fitness.
  • Kryssaxo
    Kryssaxo Posts: 54
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred and it was a good starting point for getting active again, but I wouldn't say it will show you results you expect. As others said, it's a great toning tool, but not if you're trying to lose a noticeable amount of weight. Try Turbo Fire =]
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Well, that was sort of my intention-- is to find out if my assumptions are correct or incorrect, and adjust my expectations accordingly. Thanks for your rec, though, I will look into the other workouts! Not sure if I can handle insanity ;) Maybe I'll splurge on it later on.

You can do it. Try it, you might be surprised by how well you do. The hardest part is getting past your mentality.

ETA: I did 30DS, and didn't get much definitions. I felt stronger, but nothing significant.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but think the claim to lose 20lb is if you follow Jillian's diet plan as well.

I'm really doing it to tone up a bit, I'm not expecting amazing results, but the one thing I have gained from it is my fitness level has raised and I can now do more than before.

I hope you find something that works for you :flowerforyou:
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I just completed the 30ds and lost more inches than lbs, but I also bike, zumba, walk 3+ miles almost daily and strength train a couple of days/week. You may have to experiment a bit to get the results you want and I think 2 lbs /week is a bit aggressive if you are doing any kind of strength/toning exercises. You could cardio the daylights out of yourself and drop lbs, but do you want a flabby low weight body or a toned higher weight (and possibly smaller dress size) body)? 2 very similar (bone structure, height) people could weigh exactly the same, but look completely different. Figure out what body type you would like and find a plan to get the results you want.
  • Nikkislim32
    Nikkislim32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I was just about to start a second round of 30 DS. The first time I did it, I lost 1 lb to 1.5 lbs per week which was good enough for me. I only worked out 3-4 days a week. It took me almost 2 months to finish. By the end of it, I lost 10 lbs. I am starting to wonder if I will get the same results the second time around.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 overall inches doing her 30day shred and ripped in 30, as well as 12lbs in 3 months
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I got good results... even after just completing level 1....

BEFORE:
    2wfn4p2.jpg

AFTER:
    34fk12w.jpg
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think diet is a huge part of one's success with 30 DS. 1200 calories of lean protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Food that builds muscle while you're burning fat. ...and I'm a Cancer.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i am only on day 3 level 2 of 30ds and i haven' t lost any weight - i am exactly the same, to the tenth of a pound- BUT i have lost inches already. at 149, i fit into shorts i bought when i was 135. so i count that as a victory, and can't wait to see the results when i am done! ETA: i also do 30-45 minutes of cardio, usually walking sometimes swimming.
  • siecoleman
    siecoleman Posts: 18
    Options

I second that, for sure. If you're looking to lose 2 pounds a week, you need a serious commitment to a program like p90x and a willingness to drastically change your diet. Definitely possible, though!

One way to ensure results is to switch up the workouts. I'll do p90x almost every day, and incorporate Brazilian Butt Lift, 30 Day Shred, or an hour at the gym some days for an added workout. Her workout in itself won't get you the results you need. Best of luck!