30 Day Shred -- Doesn't Get Results?

Options

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would think any workout you do will give you results and be beneficial, especially if you're eating right too. You can't workout here and there and expect results, gotta be persistant and workout several times a week.......
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any of those amazing results from 30 DS and it was boring.
    I agree. Doing the same video over and over again was torture for me. I did get great results from Chalean X, and I feel it's a much more complete program.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've seen some 30DS results that have knocked me off my feet, and others, that (I hate to admit this) I could barely see a difference, there was even one where I couldn't figure out which was the before and which was the after =X. If I recall correctly, the ones that knocked me off my feet added cardio to their 30DS routine.

I'm doing 30DS now for (only a few days so far), also doing spin, and walk/jogging and already feel like adding the 30DS is helping a lot. Of course, I'm not totally convinced that some of it isn't in my head, but I noticed it before when I tried it in the past. I got up to day 7 or so before quitting due to a hip injury, and I already started to notice my neck and face starting to thin (again, could have been just in my mind, I have no evidence to back it up).

I think 30DS is great, I love it, but do believe *I*, personally, need to add the extra cardio.

Both last time and this time I've been trying to do 30DS everyday.

Not sure if my input was helpful at all, but there it is lol.
  • delightful_low
    Options
    When I did it (and when I say did it I mean I did *most* of it, except for that very last set of bicycle crunches, I did regular crunches then) I lost a few inches but the scale didn't move much. I'm going to start it again soon and see how much of a difference I see when I combine it with some more cardio.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I mix cardo with 30 Day Shred. Here is my workout schedule:
    Mon: off
    Tue: 30 DS (avg 350 cal burned)
    Wed: Zumba or Hip Hop Abs (avg 400 cal burned)
    Thur: 30 DS (avg 350 cal burned)
    Fri: Zumba or Hip Hop Abs (avg 400 cal burned)
    Sat: Zumba or Hip Hop Abs (avg 400 cal burned)
    Sun: Zumba or Hip Hop Abs (avg 400 cal burned)

I find that with the 30 DS, I am losing inches and feeling stonger, but I need more cardio to burn off the fat too. My goal is to lose about 1.5 lbs a week. I make sure I eat 1200-1500 cal per day and seldem go over.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I've done all of Jillian Michael's dvd's except the yoga one. I did the Shred, Ripped in 30, Shred it with weights one after the other. Did not lose a single pound or inch.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think diet is a huge part of one's success with 30 DS. 1200 calories of lean protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Food that builds muscle while you're burning fat. ...and I'm a Cancer.

Haha I was just mentioned my sign to emphasize my impatience and fiery demands. ;)

My diet contains veggies, fruits, nuts, and a lot of protein. Hopefully that will help, then!

As for body type, I'd prefer a slim hourglass. Victoria Secret Angel status. ;) Ohhh yeah. I don't crave to be very muscly or Joyce Vedrall-y. I'm definitely not aiming for a six pack. I'd like smooth, soft, small, still hourglass. Yep! I guess that's something I should consider when choosing my workout. Never thought of it. Thanks!
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said you're not going to see results as a stand alone workout. I have seen great results mixing it with lots of running and lots of elliptical. I try to burn 3500 calories through exercise and I like to do about half of those via my JM DVDs and ellipticals, and about half of those via running.

Do you use a heart rate monitor? Before I got one (and before I started to run) I would see myself burning 100s and 100s of calories and eating better but no weight loss. Those machines are highly inaccurate- What I thought was a 500 calorie burn ended up being only about 300 when using a HRM. I started to run a mile during the time I usually did elliptical and dropped 15lbs with no effort. Then once I got a HRM and measured the difference in calories burned between 1/2 hour of running (around 400-450 depending onspeed) vs. a half hour of elliptical (closer to 250-300) it made a huge difference! I find that it is a lot easier just to run at a 5.0-5.5mph pace than it is to work on the elliptical to get the same intensity workout as running.
  • elispine
    elispine Posts: 23
    Options
    BUMP :wink:
  • half_moon
    Options
    I've done all of Jillian Michael's dvd's except the yoga one. I did the Shred, Ripped in 30, Shred it with weights one after the other. Did not lose a single pound or inch.

*point* *point* See, this is what I keep hearing! More stories like this and less of the "amazing ridiculous life-changing" etc.

My point is, if I'm not going to see a huge difference, I'd rather stick with elliptical/cardio and tone when I lose weight. Bad idea?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Looks like you lost a cat in those 30 days too! ;) Great job!
  • half_moon
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said you're not going to see results as a stand alone workout. I have seen great results mixing it with lots of running and lots of elliptical. I try to burn 3500 calories through exercise and I like to do about half of those via my JM DVDs and ellipticals, and about half of those via running.

Do you use a heart rate monitor? Before I got one (and before I started to run) I would see myself burning 100s and 100s of calories and eating better but no weight loss. Those machines are highly inaccurate- What I thought was a 500 calorie burn ended up being only about 300 when using a HRM. I started to run a mile during the time I usually did elliptical and dropped 15lbs with no effort. Then once I got a HRM and measured the difference in calories burned between 1/2 hour of running (around 400-450 depending onspeed) vs. a half hour of elliptical (closer to 250-300) it made a huge difference! I find that it is a lot easier just to run at a 5.0-5.5mph pace than it is to work on the elliptical to get the same intensity workout as running.

Hmm, really? So should I aim to run outdoors vs. elliptical? I live in houston, so that may be hard in mid-July, but it's good to know. So you burned more calories running with the same effort than you did on the elliptical with the same effort? Veeeeerryyy iiiiintereseesesessttiiing... Damn, now I have to go get a HRM. Haha. Or borrow my sister's. >.>
  • half_moon
    Options
    Looks like you lost a cat in those 30 days too! ;) Great job!

Aww, thanks for your encouragement!! *sends love your way*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is more known for loss of inches rather than lbs. It worked for me and I saw great results. However, it can get boring.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I got good results... even after just completing level 1....

BEFORE:
    2wfn4p2.jpg

AW!!! Love that your cat got in on the photo!! (sorry!! huge cat lover here!)
  • Vecch09
    Vecch09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to get the 30DS. Here is a great article from a PT that explains muscle vs. fat: Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8311&sc=128

If you get a chance, read what you can in the Abs Diet book. Whether you choose to use the diet or not, it explains a TON about weight loss, muscle gain and eating and exercising. A very informative book. There are also some recipes in there in case you want to try some.

Good luck on your journey! I'll post more after I start the 30DS and let you know what kind of results I get.
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • half_moon
    Options
    I am getting ready to get the 30DS. Here is a great article from a PT that explains muscle vs. fat: Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8311&sc=128

If you get a chance, read what you can in the Abs Diet book. Whether you choose to use the diet or not, it explains a TON about weight loss, muscle gain and eating and exercising. A very informative book. There are also some recipes in there in case you want to try some.

Good luck on your journey! I'll post more after I start the 30DS and let you know what kind of results I get.

... My brain just exploded.

Thanks for that explanation!!! Makes so much more sense, now. I care about inches, not pounds! :P I'd like to weigh less than 170, though-- prefer slim over bulkiness.
  • stephbo4
    stephbo4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I lost quite a bit when I did it about 10 pounds, however when I started it I was going from not working out at ALL, to doing 30DS and it about killed me. If you are already working out and burning a lot of calories in your workouts, I doubt you will see drastic results. My results were drastic because I went from doing nothing to something hard.

Also, it says "UP TO" 20 pounds, not that everyone will lost 20 pounds.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My HRM tells me I burn close to 300 to 400 with 30 DS. I didnt lose the weight on the scale but did inches and could see muscle definition. I gained endurance as well. Some people may be wanting something different out of the excercise than others and diappointing them when these results are not what they are looking for. I was discouraged about the lack of weight loss but the loss of inches did put a smile on my face at least. We just have to find what works for us.

Edit: I didn't lose that much weight and inches on the eliptical alone and my calorie burn was less so I think I will add this in with 30 DS as a strength. It is great for toning and this is what I will use at my goal weight as well.