Avocado, what do I do with it?

Options
I mean, eat it, obviously. But I've never had one before. Do I eat it raw? Steam it? I keep reading how people love them. How do you eat yours?

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole. Or you can put it on toast, or a salad.

It's a little bland but at the same time yummy
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half and remove the pit. Put the halves into a bowl, lightly salt it, and eat that mofo with a fork.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    I like mine on sandwiches, straight sliced, or mashed and used as a topping for almost anything.

I also make a salad of diced avocado, diced tomato and a bit of mozzarella cheese cut up... Mix and enjoy.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole but I also like to eat it with a little garlic powder and salt sprinkled on it. I also like to just slice it and put it on any kind of sandwich. I've never had it cooked or anything like that....not sure you can even do that?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I like to chop it up into chunks, then mix in some black beans, some corn, and some chipotle tabasco. SO tasty.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I like to chop it up into chunks, then mix in some black beans, some corn, and some chipotle tabasco. SO tasty.

I would like to change my answer to this.

Srs that sounds amazing.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    raw, on a sammich, salad, burgers, chips.... its hard to go wrong with it
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's delicious just sliced with a little bit of salt. Guacamole is heaven. I've also cut it up into chunks and added it to rice with corn, tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice - yum.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I love love love love guacamole.
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to make guac out of it, which is soooo much better fresh than that packaged crap you get at a store. I made a mistake about two months back and ate a whole avocado just by itself, raw. Felt nauseous as hell for a few hours. Haven't been able to make myself eat any again, even a little bit mixed in with something else. Apparently I'm like some other people who feel ill after eating it because of the high fat content even though it's a good fat.
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    u can smash it with some limon and salt, or cut it up with ur salads, also u can blend it with sour cream & salt and use it as a dressing or dip!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    cut it in half. get rid of the pit. while still inside the skin, run knife and "chop" it. light salt, black pepper. use table spoon to scoop this baby out on your salad. If salad has shrimp in it, squeeze a bit of lemon juice (unless you are using balsamic vinegar, then don't do anything) and you will have an awesome meal
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Cut it up, put it in a bowl, add salt and lime.My boyfriend doesn't like it with the lime juice so he adds balsamic vinegar to it instead. As others said, make guacamole with it. Also, if you add the same ingredients to the guacamole as you would to a fresh salsa it taste great (dont add a lot though, just a little to make it chunky). Use it to top tacos, make burritos, or dip veggies in.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My go to meal is that I mash it up and put about 2 tablespoons of medium heat salsa a little lime and hot sauce. Once thats mixed I spread some on a whole wheat tortilla and smear some FF refried beans. Very yummy and filling.
  • maryhm1
    maryhm1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For something different, I grill mine. Cut in half, remove pit, poke a bunch of deep holes in the meat with a fork. Put them face down on the grill for about 3 minutes (to get marks). Meanwhile, mix up equal parts of hot sauce and lime juice (I HATE spicy food, but the hot sauce isn't really that hot). I usually do about 2 T of each and then 1 clove of garlic to cover 4 avocado halves. Flip the avocados over, spoon the sauce on them, salt/pepper, grill another 3 minutes. Then put a tablespoon of shredded parmesean cheese on each half. Grill until melted. YUMMY!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Eat it on anything and everything. Besides what has already been mentioned, I've been mashing it up and using it as a base for tuna salad lately.

Pro tip: If you have a kitchen scale, I would use it with the avocados. For your benefit! I've found that most of my avocados are lighter than what "1 avocado" supposedly weighs in the database. So, it ends up being lower in calories than it first may appear. :happy:
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to make guac out of it, which is soooo much better fresh than that packaged crap you get at a store. I made a mistake about two months back and ate a whole avocado just by itself, raw. Felt nauseous as hell for a few hours. Haven't been able to make myself eat any again, even a little bit mixed in with something else. Apparently I'm like some other people who feel ill after eating it because of the high fat content even though it's a good fat.

If you are on low-fat diet, you probably correct. I heard people saying that. depending on the size, i get to only eat half of one (i get them at Costco and they pretty good size), So, the half for me is about right. I feel your pain though. It is an awesome fruit.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I ususaly cut in in half, remove the pit, lightly salt it and sprinkle it with lime juice. Then it is right out of the skin....
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

bumping because this sounds AWESOME :)
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wow! The diversity food! Sounds like it's going to be good!