Can sushi be included in a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, but in rural southern Minnesota it's impossible to find.
    You mean Lutefisk isn't Minnesota sushi?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOL. Nope. Lutefisk is actually cooked and it's gross. My dad eats it on Syttende Mai and my grandparents used to eat it often. I could only stomach it when it was soaked in butter or raspberry jelly. LOL
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! And it's so delicious. Eat up!!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Otherwise yes, sushi is fine, though the white rice is meh; its a simple carb and a waste of calories.

I need to know, because I'd rather eat healthier. How on -earth- do you make brown rice taste good? I also have a hard time cooking it! It comes out weird. :P
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I love sushi ( no soy sauce or wasabi), but I can't take the sodium anymore so I don't have it anymore.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a rainbow roll (my fav)! Who CARES about the rice! You're getting seaweed, tuna, salmon, snapper, and usually some other sort of fish, avocado, crab, and cucumber.

YUM!
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    Sushi is great, fish is one of the best things for you. If you are eating sushi you should always include at least a small amount of wasabi especially with anything raw as it helps kill any parasites that could be in the fish.

except that most average places don't serve real wasabi. its horseradish ground and flavored and colored. whatevs, love it!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I need to know, because I'd rather eat healthier. How on -earth- do you make brown rice taste good? I also have a hard time cooking it! It comes out weird. :P

Buy a rice cooker and set it to "brown rice." It takes longer to cook and cooks better under the pressure of a real rice cooker. Also, you can cook it in other liquids like low sodium chicken broth and teas like barley tea which give it a slightly sweeter flavor.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Teehee you've just reminded me I have a sushi kit in my cupboard. Hmmm that may be a weekend task :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi 2-3 (or more) times a month. They usually run me less than 500 calories for a full sushi combo.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i eat it prolly once a month. love it. i usually get the smoked salmon roll (with cream cheese and avocado) and its not that bad for you. i dont have any trouble fitting it into my 1300 cal goal. if im having a really good day i will get some with the sauce and chrunchies. i can still make that fit in my cal range if im having a really good day. i see no reason why you shouldnt have it. :)
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, so many great things about it! I think as long as you aren't getting the fried and saucey rolls, all is good.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Otherwise yes, sushi is fine, though the white rice is meh; its a simple carb and a waste of calories.

To ease the transition, start with a 50/50 ratio. Short grain white and brown rice. Soak it for a bit. If you want it to have to consistency of sushi rice, add a little more water than what they recommend. I usually measure between the 1st and 2nd digits of middle finger. Then cook it in my rice pot.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yeah, just look at the obesity epidemic in japan and china where they eat a lot of rice....
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting 10 pieces of avocado and crab sushi for 280 calories :D

^^^^^^yes! Same here. Love my sushi and have this about 1x week
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    Sushi better be included in a healthy diet. I love it and eat it often.

This! Yummy :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course!
    But, then I'm not a carbophobe, so rice doesn't scare me.

Some sushi rolls can be a bit high in fat, sugar or salt but if you log it then you can see how your days looks and balance it out with your other meals.

I think it is a pretty good choice when you are eating out.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I ate it today and don't even feel bad. It was awesome, and then I kicked butt in my workout. Anything in your calories I'd say is okay within moderation.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Sushi, Sashimi. :love: :love: :love: Yes!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I usually have sushi twice a month, nothing wrong with that.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Rolls aren't really sushi. Sushi is a piece of raw fish on a small piece of rice. Few places make it properly. But the rice should not require two bites. The other kind of sushi is sashimi. Just plain raw fish. Obviously the best, but considerably more expensive to order, usually. Most people like rolls. They are loaded with all kinds of junk. Usually lots and lots of mayo. Yuk-o.

But, yes, sushi can be part of a healthy diet. It's great food. Just stay away from he junk. Google th rolls you eat and see what's really n them. Then, make better choices.