I Binge.

Options
124»

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I can work all day to do well then lose it at night and binge, bigtime.

Keep trying.......
  • elbiekoh
    elbiekoh Posts: 22
    Options
    Thursday I managed not to binge, although I was super tempted. Friday however, not so good. I'd kept a jar of peanut butter in the staff room because I can't keep it at home, but over the hour break I managed to consume 1200 calories + of peanut butter, not including my standard lunch. I spent the next 5 hours feeling crappy about my lack of self control and the calorie balance for the day - which then resulted in me heading to tesco to buy 1L chocolate flavoured milk, 2 lemon cheesecakes, and two pasta salad dishes. Total of 5000 calorie day with no exercise. I'm feeling pretty low & the general thought is that I'm addicted to food; that it's hopeless and I don't know what to do.

Also, I recently [past 3 days] stopped my welbutrin medication - I found it slightly helped with the binges; but not enough to justify the cost. So I'm off medication & will be trying to overcome my eating disorder without the aid of anti-depressants. I also found the welbutrin made me constantly think suicidal thoughts [which is one of the side effects], so it's best I'm not on it anymore. I'm dealing with constant headaches & irritability/ aggressiveness as a result of stopping the medication, which probably helped fuel the binge- but this will pass within the week.
  • BerkshireGirl413
    BerkshireGirl413 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP a few days ago. I had known about it for awhile but just needed to find the right time in my life to commit to making this change. I've been gaining weight consistently since I was 13. My CW is 240lbs and my goal is to lose 80lbs by my 29th birthday. That gives me a little over a year to lose weight that has taken me over 10 years to gain.

I knew that I was eating healthy most of the time, but portions were my weakness.
    I've been keeping track of my meals for three days now and haven't had a lot of trouble keeping below my calorie intake limits. The first day I was a little hungry, the second I realized that by not stuffing myself like an all you can eat buffet I had more energy and felt better without having to digest all that extra food.
    So on a whim I decided to track a "normal" day before I started making conscious decisions about what I was eating.
    You can have a look to see what I've been eating for the past three days. It's all healthy and enjoyable food in moderate portions, I haven't starved myself or denied myself aside from no soda or fast food.

Here is what I "could" have eaten on any given day in the past. (And did do, many times)

Breakfast: (Most of the time I would skip this)
    Egg and cheese bagel or bagel with cream cheese
    Large glass of OJ (at least 20oz) or Starbucks White Mocha Latte

Lunch:
    2 (yes two) double cheeseburgers (burger king) or double stack (wendys)
    or 1 burger and 4pc nuggets
    Large soft drink (not diet)
    Large fries
    BBQ sauce

Snack:
    Doritos snack size bag
    Snickers Bar
    20oz Mountain Dew

............... we haven't gotten to dinner and I'm already at 3000 calories or more.

Dinner:
    Large chicken breast
    Large baked potato smothered in butter, cheese and sour cream
    Boiled carrots with onions and butter
    Dinner roll with yet more butter

Desert :
    Ice cream

I now realize that I CAN loose weight!!! Nothing is stopping me but myself!!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to think of myself as a binger, but after reading more and more posts regarding this, I have to say that I was. I work night shift and would go to the grocery store after my shift and intentionally buy cookies, cupcakes, or other things to pig out on knowing I could get away with it because my family would already be heading to work. I think at one point I had 3+ plastic containers from baked goods under my bed, just waiting for a good chance to get rid of them. That plus no exercise, and flat out not giving a crap about myself led me to being almost 200 pounds.

A couple years ago we had a Biggest Loser contest at work, and I thankfully decided to enter. I began to lose weight with the help of MFP and that became the start of my journey. I def still have my moments of overeating and being lazy when I know I should be more active (like this past week), but I've come a ways since the early morning grocery store trips. I still have to work on loving myself, and I think that's part of why I love running. I love the feeling of accomplishment after a race, and knowing that I worked hard to improve myself. I never thought I'd get so much out of it, but next week I begin training for my first marathon! All I can say is take it one day, or 1 hour at a time. Find something to keep youself occupied, and really ask yourself is eating xyz worth the horrible afterward feelings? Feel free to send a FR!
  • ElliieMental
    ElliieMental Posts: 189
    Options
    I have gone through/am going through the same things with binge eating as you. It has gotten better for me since working out and keeping myself busy with going on walks with my dog, or leaving the house when I feel like I just NEED to eat. I would also reccommend listening to music you love, I believe it can help to alter your mindset into a more positive one. Even if you have a good friend to talk to. I know nothing can satisfy that horrible craving feeling of 'needing' to eat the box of chocolates, or 'needing' to eat 3 bags of chips, 7 bowls of cereal, the whole tub of yogurt, or 10 granola bars. But the sooner you kill the part of you that wants to keep feeding that 'need' the sooner you can start to feel more in control. Those are very easy words to say, I know that actually stopping bingeing is very very hard. But it can be done and a lot of the problem ( at least for me ) was the hate cycle that I would put myself in after a binge. So love yourself no matter how much that voice is saying not to, and keep trying your best to treat your body in a healthy loving way.

The more you resist and empower yourself and strengthen your will, the better you will feel about the control you have over yourself. Sometimes yes it is very difficult to stop and listen, really listen to that voice who is telling you to stop and walk away but the more you do the better you will feel.

Being addicted to food is seriously straining :( ... But with forgiveness for yourself and a never-give-up attitude you can restore balance into your relationship with food and make it a healthy one :):)

This is probably the most helpful post I've ever read on this forum, thank you so much!
  • loufranks
    loufranks Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm very curious as to why guys dont do this as well!

A book I'm reading at the moment explains that binge eating disorder is the only eating disorder which affects men as much as women. Whether you believe everything you read is another matter (personally, I'm not sure what the scientific basis was for that statement in the book). What I can say is that I do know men in my life who binge eat. Admittedly, not as many as women though.

My husband is a binge eater. Clearly 2 of us in the same house who have binge eating tendencies is NOT good!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I binged too, last night. It always happens when I go to my mother's. Different environment, less sleep, more relaxed here, or maybe more anxious, not sure which really, but I ended up getting through 2 poptarts, 7 or 8 digestives, 6 rich tea, 8 apple rice cakes and a lot of dried fruit and nut mix. Felt so uncomfortable I purged, but I had managed to go binge free for 10 days beforehand which is good for me, in fact, I had managed to avoid all junk just about for 10 days. I cannot do much about any calories I have absorbed as I cannot exercise here, and my visits involve meals out so hey hum.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My struggle lately is being hungry after my shift. I work from 11pm-7am. I usually go to break at 1am, so by the time 7 rolls around I'm ready for a snack. Several times I've gone to the Dunkin Donuts by my house and would get 2 donuts and a bagel sandwich or bagel with cream cheese- pretty much 1000 cals right there before going to bed. I'm trying to get back into the habit of just putting my stuff down and going right up and brushing my teeth, yet as i sit here typing this i'm hungry and would have no problem having some chips.. ugh, hopefully passing out soon.
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of binges and am going to see a therapist because my marriage is being affected. I usually go for sweets, but once I get started I can and will eat anything in sight- except for meat :) I only weigh 140 and usually offset my binge with a pretty decent day of eating following day. However, I was on vacation for 9 days and overate everyday. They werent necessarily "binge days" but I easily ate 4000 cal each day. I am soooo bloated and fat!!!!

I went vegan last summer in hopes of stopping my fast food binges (3-4 double cheeseburers within 20 min) and of course to save a few animals. I no longer binge on fast food, but have relaxed a bit and am vegetarian, which means I now binge on my husbands ice cream!!! UGH!!!!!

I know it is all in our minds but it is so friggin' hard to stop once you have started!!! If I learn any good tips from my therapist I will be sure to pass them along.
  • Chocolatefrosting
    Options
    I have had issues with food of my own.

The book Brain over Binge has been helpful,in me dealing with Binges. It talks a lot about urges and that we binge because of the urges and urges are just the animal part of our brains and we shouldn't listen to the,.

My dietician has told me not to diet, that I have not been ale to do. You are supposed to eat at regular intervals, don't have any forbidden foods and make sure you eat enough during the day so you aren't starving at night as that leads to binges.

I am hoping if I get to my goal weight I will stop dieting for good. To do that means no more bingeing as that's what lead to my weight gain.