Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE.

Options
What is this business about starvation mode? I find myself wrapped up in these "debates" with people telling me that eating 1200 and not eating back my calories from exercise will make me starve. Not everybody eats their calories back, and they are fine. Is this just another example of people thinking they know everything and they know it best, or is this a legitimate concern?

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Everyone has an opinion, I get that but some people make it seem like it's their way or it can't work. I have lost 110lbs and only eat 1200 calories even still. I don't eat back my calories. It works for me. I have tried to eat them back, don't work for me I gain weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently.
  • dosmundos
    dosmundos Posts: 64
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.

Haha that's what I was thinking!! Just seems like an excuse to eat more and not gain weight-- which would happen, but I want to lose!! I eat every two hours a day. I just get some "tiffs" sometimes. HATAS GON HATE.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I found eating that low works for about 12 weeks before a plateau. But protein is a HUGE consideration if you're lifting and eating at such an extreme deficit.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    What is this business about starvation mode? I find myself wrapped up in these "debates" with people telling me that eating 1200 and not eating back my calories from exercise will make me starve. Not everybody eats their calories back, and they are fine. Is this just another example of people thinking they know everything and they know it best, or is this a legitimate concern?
    It's just how MFP is set up. Do what works for you, but if you start forums like this, be prepared for people who are hard core MFP that say, you joined, now follow the rules for best results.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to.

Let me explain where the thinking comes from though....

If your TDEE is 2300 and you want to lose 2lbs a week your deficit is 1000 calories.
    MFP sets you at 1300.
    You're already in a deficit so eating exercise cals back keeps you at that 1000 calorie deficit.

That's all it is.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Huh. Well I eat 1640 daily plus all my exercise calories (~3500/week) and I lose about 1.5 lbs/week doing that. So I'll keep doing it so that I can eat a burger and a couple of beers at a summer BBQ.

Those of us who advocate eating more are trying to help those of you who advocate fairly significant restriction (given the amount of exercise most are achieving) to see that you can enjoy more food and still lose... if you want to.

But if you don't mind eating so little... keep it up!
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Everyone's metabolism is different.

It is a proven fact that eating too little can affect your metabolic rate, but that being said, you should do what works for you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to.

Let me explain where the thinking comes from though....

If your TDEE is 2300 and you want to lose 2lbs a week your deficit is 1000 calories.
    MFP sets you at 1300.
    You're already in a deficit so eating exercise cals back keeps you at that 1000 calorie deficit.

That's all it is.
    this.

i dont eat my exercise calories back either, but i also dont follow MFP's calorie guidelines either. I've been eating around the maintenance level of my goal weight because i dont want to have to deal with figuring out maintenance stuff once i reach goal weight.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If i'm hungry I eat them back. If I'm not hungry I don't. Listen to your body.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your current size... I'm 5'3 and trying to lose about ten lbs... My caloric intake would be different that a women who 5'8 and trying to lose 40 lbs... I eat back about 25% of the calories I burn exercising... If I burn 600 calories... I get 150 in addition to my 1250... I have lost about a half lb a week... But the inches are really dropping...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you're gonna die either way. no one gets out alive.

in other news, TDEE, BMR, and "calorie deficit". look up these terms and it will all make sense.
  • dosmundos
    dosmundos Posts: 64
    Options
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.

Now where in the world do you read me bashing anything????
    I just do something for a while that has worked for some people I know.
    I did not know it was forbidden to talk about another weight loss approach.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

How dare you go and be all reasonable and stuff...
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

How dare you go and be all reasonable and stuff...
    Because of course most people here have no problems just "listening" to their bodies...am I right? :indifferent:
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    These links will answer your questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I eat mine back. I've lost over 20 pounds. But I really dont care if others eat them back or not.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I ate perfect 6 days out of the week, eating 1200 calories and did not eat back (on rare occasion Id eat exercise calories earned) exercise calories. I averaged a 500-800 burn 4-5 days a week for 12 weeks and lost 30 lbs. on the one day out of 7 I ate up to 2000 calories. I didnt die hehe.
    I ate healthy foods too, so I was not even hungry most of the time. I did not starve at all!!!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

You've got to be a troll, right? Troll, yeah, I'm going with that. Trolololol. Good one! Aha!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat back enough to get me to 1200 calories or really close usually, and that works for me. I continue to lose at a steady pace. Some days I do go under after exercise and some days I go over so I think it balances it out.