Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE.

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love these topics because it's inevitable that some people start to feel really personally invested in whether or not other people eat their exercise calories back :laugh:

i swear some of y'all need more first world problems or really like the feeling of panties wadded up between your butt cheeks :laugh:
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eh, I really don't care how people do it. I am eating a lot more than I normally would have when trying to lose weight, and it's working just fine--I would feel hungry a lot otherwise. If you don't ever feel hungry eating 1200 or less calories, I would just do that--there would never be a non-emotional reason for you to overeat I would think. I would just feel deprived a lot, and I don't want to do that. I don't think anyone really believes you will die from not eating back exercise calories, or eating very low calories, but I think for most of us we don't realize there is another way that may work for us that may (or may not) be more healthy--or just may not be sustainable for us over time.
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    Okay well normally I don't even look at these kinds of threads but....the topic got me interested. Anyways I have condition that causes me to be insulin resistant so I GAIN weight at about 1500 calories if I'm not exercising, long story. Point being that sometimes I eat them back and sometimes I don't, but everyone has a different metabolism and their body reacts to food different ways. I can actually stay at 1200-1300 calories and gain weight if I am eating the wrong food (not junk food just stuff that spikes my blood sugar, like potatoes and corn). So everyone has to listen to their own body and what it tells them. Basic suggestion, don't starve yourself. If you are really hungry eat a little more that day!
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.

This is a site to track calories and food intake, not a plan for some people. some people use diet books to go along with this site and log their food. some people have surgeries for their weight loss to track their food. This site is a TOOL not "A PLAN". She wasn't bashing anyone. You're the one bashing her. Basically saying she doesn't need to be here b/c she's using another plan! and when someone starts a sentence with "Not to be rude" is just politely saying, I'm being rude, but please forgive me. Get your panties out of a wad and let people do what they wanna do.
    The Topic title speaks for itself.
    And show me where this site is a tool, not a plan? It's a plan. It is goal oriented. In order to reach a goal, one must have a plan. Right?

The "FOOD" tab, "Exercise" tab, "TOOLS" tab, and the "Community" tab are tools. A plan for dieting is something that you follow strict guidelines and has meals, and different foods to choose from. This site, Weight Watchers and the such where you control it are tools and guidelines, and are made for lifestyle changes. People can use "PLANS" though to go along with their "TOOLS" and "GUIDELINES" until they are comfortable to do it without a plan. after the "plan" is up, hopefully they can just use the tools and guidelines. Plans are meant for short term, but tools and guidelines are meant for a lifetime. That's the difference. Just like people calling this site a "DIET". it's not a "DIET", it's something you use (Tools and guidelines) to make a lifetime change in your life. Some people though, need to wean themselves into a lifestyle change, by starting with a plan. or some people just like to use a plan b/c of the recipes or it gives them something strict to use instead of using just tools and guidelines so they don't have to worry about falling off track...
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Now if one eats all their exercise calories back than how is someone loosing weight?
    I am doing Jamie Easons lifefit plan and I sure a daisy don't eat all my exercise calories.
    Lost 9 pounds so far, and with her eating plan, even with less calories your body does not have time to get starving.
    Not to be rude, but if you are following another plan, why are you here? This is a plan. It's called MFP and is designed differently from other plans. I try to stick to it like the bible. Just like someone would treat Weight Watchers. Do what works for you! But don't bash what works for others.

Now where in the world do you read me bashing anything????
    I just do something for a while that has worked for some people I know.
    I did not know it was forbidden to talk about another weight loss approach.
    Ok, well the first 3 posters talking about how they don't follow MFP the way it is designed. Which is fine, but you're on MFP. That would be like going to a weight watchers meeting and arguing that MFP does it better.
    You are already in a deficit when you start MFP. So if you eat those cals back, or at least most of them, then you will still lose weight. If not, then either something wrong, or plan not for you, which is fine. But, If you believe in MFP, then you follow it, right?. If not, then, you either 1.don't understand it, or 2. you do, but disagree with it.

And you ragging on the original poster is like going to a Weight Watchers Meeting and telling someone at a support group that they're stupid for their thinking and questions. I am appalled, APPALLED by some of the awful, hateful posts I've found on this "community" forum. This forum is here to help, encourage and support each other. That includes answering questions when others have them, not talking to them with a disgusted tone and telling them that they're doing it wrong. I started using MFP as an app to track my calorie intake, because it worked well with my iPad -- and thats it. I didn't use it to follow its "plan" or to use the deficit that it creates for me. I use it to log food and exercise-- what it's designed for. So, someone using the app or website with their own plan isn't a crime, and shouldn't be treated as or talked upon as one. If you're here to tell others that they have taken a wrong turn on their weight loss journey -- a very difficult and personal journey (as I'm sure you know...)-- then keep it to yourself, no one wants to hear it.
    Ok, lets get a few things straight. Im not a hater. I don't have a bad or hateful bone in my body. The topic itself leans towards disapproval. All Im saying is that if you are not using MFP as a plan, but rather a tool, why complain about it? If youre not using it? It works for some, not all. But those it works for support it. I guess that's what Im trying to say. If your just logging and tracking, then why bother putting out there a topic that draws negative attention? "Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i swear some of y'all need more first world problems or really like the feeling of panties wadded up between your butt cheeks :laugh:

Sometimes I like to just bunch up an extra and wedge it right in there... it feels neat *blush*
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    MFP is just a tool, there are lots of members that only use it for the food/exercise journal or heck some even use it primarily for the specialized support groups. I don't eat my exercise calories back and I've found that when I do I stall or gain, so I don't and in the end we all have to make the choice to do what works for us.
    Ummmm...this site is a TOOL, not a plan. No where does it have meals and exercise plans..unless its in a secret spot I have yet to find :indifferent:

I have never eaten my exercise calories back. If I did I'd be eating well over 4,000 calories a day and sure as heck would NOT have lost any of the weight I've lost. Especially since I burn over 2,000 calories in exercise alone each day. However, there is no reason for people to get their panties in a bunch and jump on others just because they do things differently. Some of us work with doctors and/or nutritionists. Just because MFP has recommendations, does not MAKE THEM RULES!! There is a reason you are able to alter your goals and nutritional intake levels. I highly advise that everyone check in with their doctors, especially those that are attempting to lose weight, to make sure that you are doing what is healthy for YOUR body.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is that as long as your stomach feels satisfied & that it works for you then just continue doing what you are doing. Personally I don't eat back all my calories burned except when those calories came from heavy weight lifting which I ate even more for my muscles to recover faster.
  • chattipatty2
    Options

This is a site to track calories and food intake, not a plan for some people. some people use diet books to go along with this site and log their food. some people have surgeries for their weight loss to track their food. This site is a TOOL not "A PLAN". She wasn't bashing anyone. You're the one bashing her. Basically saying she doesn't need to be here b/c she's using another plan! and when someone starts a sentence with "Not to be rude" is just politely saying, I'm being rude, but please forgive me. Get your panties out of a wad and let people do what they wanna do.
    And show me where this site is a tool, not a plan? It's a plan. It is goal oriented. In order to reach a goal, one must have a plan. Right?

The "FOOD" tab, "Exercise" tab, "TOOLS" tab, and the "Community" tab are tools. A plan for dieting is something that you follow strict guidelines and has meals, and different foods to choose from. This site, Weight Watchers and the such where you control it are tools and guidelines, and are made for lifestyle changes. People can use "PLANS" though to go along with their "TOOLS" and "GUIDELINES" until they are comfortable to do it without a plan. after the "plan" is up, hopefully they can just use the tools and guidelines. Plans are meant for short term, but tools and guidelines are meant for a lifetime. That's the difference. Just like people calling this site a "DIET". it's not a "DIET", it's something you use (Tools and guidelines) to make a lifetime change in your life. Some people though, need to wean themselves into a lifestyle change, by starting with a plan. or some people just like to use a plan b/c of the recipes or it gives them something strict to use instead of using just tools and guidelines so they don't have to worry about falling off track...
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I found this when searching for an app on my phone that I could use to track food etc without pushing any particular plan or agenda or telling me I must have a goal of 115. I didn't see anything when I signed up about following anything in particular as a plan. That's what I like about it...it's pretty flexible for whatever plan you are on and works very well as a tracker.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Here is my problem: Eating my calories back instead of eating a set amount does not do anything to address the fact that I have a problem with over eating. I have a very physical job and somedays l burn over 1000 calories so instead of eating all of that back, I am working on just eating 2000 and not eating back my exercise calories. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everybody else.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What is this business about starvation mode? I find myself wrapped up in these "debates" with people telling me that eating 1200 and not eating back my calories from exercise will make me starve. Not everybody eats their calories back, and they are fine. Is this just another example of people thinking they know everything and they know it best, or is this a legitimate concern?

It seems pretty arrogant and self-centered of you to come to this website and rag on the plan.....which has helped an awful lot of people safely achieve their goals. The testimonies and pictures don't lie. Why are you so wrapped up in "these debates" when you know the type of diet and calorie monitoring that this site supports? If you don't like it, start your own website and plan. Do other methods work? Sure they do, for some people. So does binging and purging. But there are many other people that follow a "net less than your BMR" plan and run into trouble. That's why a lot of people come here. The methods on this site prevent that from happening.

Consider Anger Management classes. Or decaff.

I did.....and I looked like your profile pic. :)

Comedic genius. My kids started using the "Your face" line when they were, oh, eight?
  • Codygirlslim
    Options
    Something to consider as well is the calorie spikes. I will keep to the 1200 cal's and not eat any of my excercise cal's back for about 3-4 weeks straight. THEN after my body thinks it has settled into a routine I spike it one night a week up to 2000-2500 cals. It tricks my body somehow. I also fast once a month and this also works, and it detox's my body a bit. I follow the P90X diet plan (not the excercie plan as much as I should-that kills me! lol) and I allow myself 1 Carb, 5 Proteins and the rest fruits & veggies. My plan is that as I increase my excercise regimine, I increase calories and increase the amount of proteins and I believe I get to go up to 3 carb servings...haven't made it that far yet...but sure would like to get there someday. :) Like everyone is saying here. Do what works for you, and if you find you're not dropping weight OR inches (cuz sometimes you're dropping inches and gaining muscle-therefore no loss) then change it up! Good luck!! And I thought most of the comments here were very helpful. :)
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Now where in the world do you read me bashing anything????
    I just do something for a while that has worked for some people I know.
    I did not know it was forbidden to talk about another weight loss approach.
    Ok, well the first 3 posters talking about how they don't follow MFP the way it is designed. Which is fine, but you're on MFP. That would be like going to a weight watchers meeting and arguing that MFP does it better.
    You are already in a deficit when you start MFP. So if you eat those cals back, or at least most of them, then you will still lose weight. If not, then either something wrong, or plan not for you, which is fine. But, If you believe in MFP, then you follow it, right?. If not, then, you either 1.don't understand it, or 2. you do, but disagree with it.

And you ragging on the original poster is like going to a Weight Watchers Meeting and telling someone at a support group that they're stupid for their thinking and questions. I am appalled, APPALLED by some of the awful, hateful posts I've found on this "community" forum. This forum is here to help, encourage and support each other. That includes answering questions when others have them, not talking to them with a disgusted tone and telling them that they're doing it wrong. I started using MFP as an app to track my calorie intake, because it worked well with my iPad -- and thats it. I didn't use it to follow its "plan" or to use the deficit that it creates for me. I use it to log food and exercise-- what it's designed for. So, someone using the app or website with their own plan isn't a crime, and shouldn't be treated as or talked upon as one. If you're here to tell others that they have taken a wrong turn on their weight loss journey -- a very difficult and personal journey (as I'm sure you know...)-- then keep it to yourself, no one wants to hear it.
    Ok, lets get a few things straight. Im not a hater. I don't have a bad or hateful bone in my body. The topic itself leans towards disapproval. All Im saying is that if you are not using MFP as a plan, but rather a tool, why complain about it? If youre not using it? It works for some, not all. But those it works for support it. I guess that's what Im trying to say. If your just logging and tracking, then why bother putting out there a topic that draws negative attention? "Eat back all of your exercise calories or you WILL DIE?

Well, you're replying to another person, not the OP... So, obviously you're either 1. replying to the wrong person or 2. talking about two different things. Because at first you were replying about the "PLAN" which it what some other person said, now you're saying something about the "TITLE".
  • chattipatty2
    Options

Ok, Ill buy that for some, but it's personally been a plan for me from the beginning. I plan my meals based on suggestions, I plan my exercise based on my MFP friends who are trainers. So for me, its a plan with a means to a goal. I suppose then, I would use it as a tool, once goals met. So, I hear ya.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Pretty much! Everyone has an opinion, I get that but some people make it seem like it's their way or it can't work. I have lost 110lbs and only eat 1200 calories even still. I don't eat back my calories. It works for me. I have tried to eat them back, don't work for me I gain weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently.
    you will lose weight faster if you eat back those cals
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to be a member of myargueabouteatingcaloriesbackpal
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I tried eating back my calories and then realized after losing about 5 pounds I was just maintaining that weight and not really losing anything significant. So now I eat back some, only when I do a big workout of 500 cals or more burned IF I'm hungry after eating my alloted 1620 per day. I probably should have known that eating back calories wouldn't work with low thyroid but at least I wasn't gaining.

Also I realized that most people don't eat back all their calories, that this seems to be the only place where people harp about eating back calories (at least online) I looked on other sites and couldn't find anything of note.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Maybe instead of eating the calories back, can we put them in a calorie bank? Maybe save them up so one day you can go out and eat 10,000 calories an not gain a lb? That works, right?
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    you're gonna die either way. no one gets out alive.

in other news, TDEE, BMR, and "calorie deficit". look up these terms and it will all make sense.

THIS... What they said... giggle :laugh: