Anyone want to do the alternate day diet with me?

Options

Replies

• deedee0398
    deedee0398 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think i might try as my weight lost and been at a stand still for a while now
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Want to know why I'm snooty? because the OP asked for people that would like to do JUDDD with her, she didn't ask for stupid, uneducated and rude remarks. If you don't like the way people lose weight keep your negative comments to yourself, do what you think is best for YOU :flowerforyou:
  • ygrevilla
    ygrevilla Posts: 2
    Options
    :smile:
  • annieviolent
    Options
    You do realize that this is the way humans ate when they were hunters/gatherers, right? Feast when there was a kill and graze on plants the rest of the time. If I was starving I wouldn't do it. And no, it's not binging on junk on non-fasting days, it's eating healthy food and maybe a treat now and again too.
  • Erika1962
    Options
    You do realize that this is the way humans ate when they were hunters/gatherers, right? Feast when there was a kill and graze on plants the rest of the time. If I was starving I wouldn't do it. And no, it's not binging on junk on non-fasting days, it's eating healthy food and maybe a treat now and again too.

The MFP experts don't want to hear that Annie, they are so closed minded that it's not even funny anymore. FASTING !!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!! You will die !!! Your body will go into starvation!!!!!!!!!!! Then when you stop all the weight comes back!!!! Doesn't the same rule apply to them ??? As soon as they go back to their old ways, the weight comes back, even for the wannabe experts!!! All over the world people fast, either out of health or religious reasons and do not top the list as fattest country in the world. I actually grew up around fasting people, just back then as a kid I really didn't pay too much attention, it was normal to me that people would do a salad or fruit day after a hefty weekend, and none of them were overweight either.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I get cranky and feel weak if I don't eat every few hours since I've been eating that way for the past several months, so this would not work for me. Plus I would be afraid I would not want to eat on the days I could. The fasting days might become too attractive. It's been a little over three years since the last time I had trouble eating and I want to keep doing good. I'm glad you found something you like that is working for you though.
  • Erika1962
    Options
    I get cranky and feel weak if I don't eat every few hours since I've been eating that way for the past several months, so this would not work for me. Plus I would be afraid I would not want to eat on the days I could. The fasting days might become too attractive. It's been a little over three years since the last time I had trouble eating and I want to keep doing good. I'm glad you found something you like that is working for you though.

I feel you there Kristy_Elizabeth, fasting is not for everyone, and I too have my moments believe me! I myself am fairly new to the every other day fasting, I lost most of my weight doing very low calorie days, then raising calories again, then dropping again which kept me losing every week since beginning of December of 2011. Now that I'm slowly but surely approaching my goal I had to find a way to keep the weight off for good, and I strongly believe that this way of eating will! I just want to lose another 10-15 pounds and then I slowly move into maintenance, meaning I slowly increase the low day calories to a much higher amount and just keep zig zagging the calories. If it's one thing I have learned the past 7 month is that the body is very smart, it gets used to the same calorie amount real quick, but if things are being mixed up that furnice burns like a champ!
    Thank you for not bashing and the best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is total crap. period. Its just a crash waiting to happen, starving your self then binging, starving then binging.....think about it...really! AND FOR HOW LONG BEFORE YOU JUST BINGE AGAIN.....sounds like a bunch of wangons in a circle if you ask me. and a bunch of people waiting to fall off............ another trend DIET that will fail.

Learn its a lifestyle change not a diet. and this is crazy just like diet pills, and atkins,your just setting your self up for another failure, theres no magic pill and no magic diet- you have to eat healthy-clean and excercise. PERIOD. this reminds me of the blind leading the blind.

My opinion- been there done that. Not trying to go backwards, and let you take just anyone with you.:huh:

BTW, Atkins is a low carb lifestyle. I do not have cheat days or any of that, this is how I eat all of the time.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the beginnings of bulimia to me.

It's exactly what I do. 500 calories a day, 2000 the next, then 300... 1500... Fast.

Not going to recommend this one.

I mean, have you ever heard of the ABC Diet? It's literally a bootcamp for anorexic behaviors averaging about 250 calories a day. This whole alternate day thing sounds like bulimia bootcamp.
  • Erika1962
    Options

It's exactly what I do. 500 calories a day, 2000 the next, then 300... 1500... Fast.

I mean, have you ever heard of the ABC Diet? It's literally a bootcamp for anorexic behaviors averaging about 250 calories a day. This whole alternate day thing sounds like bulimia bootcamp.

Yes indeed, I heard of the ABC diet , ummmm that is not for me ! I LOVE food. I could never live on 250 calories, my average is between 1400 and 1500 a day, sometimes even more!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I just started this diet then popped on to see if anyone was talking about it on the forums. I will try this out.

I'm going to be eating porridge and fruit on the down days. 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup 1.5% milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup fresh red or black berries and a sprinkle of cinammon.

2 portions of that and 2 mugs of tetly tea with milk = calories 498, carbs 78, Iron 26, Protien 21, Fiber 12, sat fat 4

Pretty balanced IMO for the 500cal mark and then I'm goint to stick to 1200 cals on the up days.

When you are very obese like I am and your body is burning its fat stores you are getting well over your daily calorie limit in energy even on the down days. As you lose weight your metabolism adjusts and you start to burn more. I think this is a great lifestyle until you are nearing goal weight at which point, if you start to feel hungry you should eat. At nearly goal I plan to be moving much more too.
  • 1MinuteWithTina
    1MinuteWithTina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The most I've gone without food is 3 days. It was for religious purposes I hasten to add and it wasn't easy :noway: Even baby food looked appetising :laugh:

1 day shouldn't be difficult :laugh:
  • Bellajoy21
    Options
    Hi, I am doing my own version of the alternate diet and have lost a stone in one month.

I fast on down days and on up days I eat very healthily simply because I have too for health reasons.

There is a lot of scientific evidence and research behind the diet.
    According to the research fasting for 36 hours switches our thin gene on and that comes with a host of health benefits such as low insulin resistance and so on..

The two doctors behind the diet researched eating one big meal a day and it turned out that fasting 24 hours wasn't long enough to switch the thin gene on and it didn't have the same health benefits. And for those worried about not eating, more and more research on mice and humans is proving that calories reduction is making them healthier, live longer and have more energy and vitality.

It's not for everybody, it really depends on how you like to approach things, I am an everything or nothing person and I like the clarity of it, there is no dithering about it, on the fast days I just switch my mind off. This being said the people behind a diet do not advocate fasting but rather having protein shakes or cereal bars on down days.
  • maidofstone
    maidofstone Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Can i just say everyone is entitled to their opinion, and i agree that healthy eating and exercise is the best way to go, however after having children i tried that and it was like my metabolism had just slowed right down or something, nothing worked thats why i tried this and it works for me, but i get it wouldn't work for everyone.

I think saying that it is starving then binging is a bit over the top, i do not binge! if anything since starting this i eat more healthy and enjoy and appreciate my food more.

I also would like to say that it is NOTHING like bulimia, i suffered from bulimia when i was younger and it took me years of counselling and hard work to get over it, and i now am a mother to 3 girls and i would NEVER go back to anything i thought could make me ill again.

it does not make you binge, i know you would think it would because you have not eaten much for a day but it really doesn't because you want to really enjoy your food not just pig out, so most people i have spoken to doing this have said they make healthier choices.

I am totally against people coming on sites like this and encouraging eating disorders, like pro ana and stuff, so i understand people getting defensive if they haven't read properly about how the diet is done, but if you have a look at the information about it, you will see that it isn't starving yourself, and the maintenance plan is really healthy.

Like i said i've suffered in the past with an eating disorder and its something i would never want anyone or myself to go through again, so there is no way i would have posted on here asking for people to join me if i thought it compared to one.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I saw a really interesting Horizon programme recently called 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer'. I think it's still available on BBC iplayer. It is well worth a look if you are interested in this kind of diet. Apparently there is growing research to suggest that fasting can be beneficial to health in the long term providing you are healthy to begin with.

It seems that it lowers various things in your body but in particular a hormone called Insulin-like growth factor (I think that's right) which can help to prevent various cancers, dementia,diabetes. The programme makers emphasize that there is still a lot of research to do in humans though! Still some bits were fascinating, for example they found that people who had lived through the great depression where food was scarce had a longer average lifespan (6 years longer) than the previous norm!

They liken the effect of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) to a car with the accelerator down where your body/car is in 'go-go' mode. The theory is that intermittant fasting causes production of IGF to decrease dramatically which then causes your body/car to take it's foot of the accelerator so to speak and go into repair mode instead. This is where scientists think the benefits come in with less disease etc. Anyway, it's good to know people are doing studies on this stuff so some years down the line we should have a better idea of the effects in humans.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm fairly new to the Alternate day diet. I'm on my 3rd down day and finding it quite easy so far. Amazingly not feeling too hungry and not pigging out on the up days either. I started as a friend has lost about 20lbs and I've been losing a few pounds then gaining them back for about 18 months now.
    When do you normally start losing a few lbs?
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about this this morning, and am a bit confused as some of you are saying you don't eat on down days? The recommendation is to eat 500 cals on a down day, not nothing..
  • sharmrp
    sharmrp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HI there,

My personal trainer has started talking to me about intermittent fasting and I came across this book on Amazon.

I'm starting today - this is my up day and my first down day will be at work tomorrow, but I take protein shakes anyway, so taking 3 intead of 1 won't be a hardship for me.

I've sent you a friend request and as you've been on it longer, hopefully you can keep me right!
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @clairerose, I've read the add book and I try to eat 500 cals but it's mostly about 600 cals on down days. That is hard enough